From: vishnuvyas
Subject: regarding sbcl + apache.
Are there any step-by-step tutorials on getting apache 2 with modlisp
to work with sbcl + cl-sql + lml?

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas.

From: Sylvain
Subject: Re: regarding sbcl + apache.
vishnuvyas wrote:
> Are there any step-by-step tutorials on getting apache 2 with modlisp
> to work with sbcl + cl-sql + lml?
>
> Cheers
> Vishnu Vyas.

I have been using the web page http://lisp.t2100cdt.kippona.net/
as a starting point (just tried a minute ago and the page doesn't
show up... still there in google cache though -- search for:
CMUCL Apache lml);  he uses CMUCL and the configuration example
for Apache is for version 1.x; quite easily fixed though,
e.g.,  instead of modifying the file
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I simply added the following file
/etc/httpd/conf.d/lisp.conf as follows:

LoadModule lisp_module modules/mod_lisp2.so
LispServer 127.0.0.1 3000 "lisp"
Alias /lisp /var/www/lisp
<Location /lisp>
         SetHandler lisp-handler
</Location>

as for using sbcl instead of cmucl,  I tried but did run into
some snags,  but since I am not by far an expert,  and I thought
I'd leave that for later;

the mod_lisp2.so was obtained by using the command
    apxs -i -c mod_lisp2.c
apxs is an utility that comes with apache, as explained
in http://www.fractalconcept.com/ where I did pick mod_lisp2.c)

hope it helps,

--Sylvain
From: drewc
vishnuvyas wrote:
> Are there any step-by-step tutorials on getting apache 2 with modlisp
> to work with sbcl + cl-sql + lml?

Step 1: install SBCL. just grab a tarball or compile your own.

Step 2: install apache. use whatever method you like.

Step 3: install mod_lisp as per the instructions on the website. you may
  find that this blog posting helps
"http://bc.tech.coop/blog/041111.html" which i found by using google.

Step 4: install clsql. it's best if you don't use asdf-install for
clsql, but if you do, just hit 'accept' when it tries to compile things
for databases you don't have (oh .. you'll need to have a database).

Step 5: install lml. this one's pretty easy.

Step 6: mod_lisp is really very little by itself, you still want to use
some sort of framwork to handle the details for you. If you want to stay
fairly close to things, cl-modlisp is probably what you are looking for.
CLSQL, CL-MODLISP, and LML are all by the same author (Kevin Rosenberg),
so you'll have a pretty consistent setup, fwiw. Other options include
TBNL and UCW, both of which can work with mod_lisp. The TBNL website
includes a pretty good overview of how to install mod_lisp and TBNL,
should you decide to go that way.

Step 6: Configure apache using the instructions that came with your
framework of choice.

Step 7: test the whole thing with the examples from your framwork. if it
doesn't work, go to step 6.

Step 8: hack away.

Step 9: Write up a tutorial about your experiences, come back to c.l.l
and reply to your post with a resounding "Yes, there are!!".
Alternately, don't bother, as it's not a very difficult task, and all
the required components are well documented individually. google can
fill in the details.

drewc

--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop
From: vishnuvyas
Thanks for all the help guys!!!
and here is the resounding  ((( " Yes, there are !!!" )))

my lisp server is up and running, since its used for development
purposes only, its hosted on my local machine.. once the whole thing is
done.. you can probably see it in action!

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas.
From: Sylvain
vishnuvyas wrote:
> my lisp server is up and running, since its used for development
> purposes only, its hosted on my local machine.. once the whole thing is
> done.. you can probably see it in action!

by the way,  any particular reason why you picked SBCL for web
application?  (note:  just curious,  since web application is
also the 'angle' I picked to learn Lisp,  I am not trolling about
this or that version of Lisp)

--Sylvain
From: vishnuvyas
Sylvain wrote:

> by the way,  any particular reason why you picked SBCL for web
> application?  (note:  just curious,  since web application is
> also the 'angle' I picked to learn Lisp,  I am not trolling about
> this or that version of Lisp)

Just that most of the things works without too many hassles (starting
from the compiling), apart from that no particular reason. I usually
alternate between CLISP and SBCL. I primarily use CLISP for testing out
ideas that don't require too many packages to be loaded etc.. and its
small and loads pretty fast.

SBCL is where I usually ''run'' my code (deployment??)

Cheers
Vishnu Vyas
From: drewc
Sylvain wrote:
> vishnuvyas wrote:
>
>> my lisp server is up and running, since its used for development
>> purposes only, its hosted on my local machine.. once the whole thing is
>> done.. you can probably see it in action!
>

> by the way,  any particular reason why you picked SBCL for web
> application?  (note:  just curious,  since web application is
> also the 'angle' I picked to learn Lisp,  I am not trolling about
> this or that version of Lisp)

I use SBCL for web apps because :

a) araneida is best under sbcl.
b) threads under linux.