From: Zach
Subject: Lisp Box in Win98?
Hi,

I downloaded Peter Seibel's  Lispbox for Windows:
lispbox-0.6-clisp-2.34.zip

I unzipped into the folder C:\lispbox-0.6

I am running Widnows 98, SE.

I looked in the main directory and saw a BAT file, lispbox.bat, so I
ran it. It brought up a console window which just said "OFF" so I
assume the script ran successfully.

Here is what the BAT file says:

@echo off
set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

%EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

I noticed on the download page it says:

"After you unpack the zip file you need to add a line to the
lispbox.bat script setting %LISPBOX_HOME% to the directory created by
unpacking the zip."

I need to set it to C:\lispbox-0.6 but I don't know how to do this.
What line should I add to the BAT file to do this?

Also once I do that how do I run Emacs? And how do I tell Emacs to open
a Lisp file in SLIME mode? I don't know how to setup SLIME either. I
don't have a dot-emacs file. Where would I put this file? Can I have a
sample dot-emacs to run in Windows?

Also what do I do to actually run lisp?

I am using your book to learn LISP, I can't afford to buy it right now
so is it ok if I download the HTML pages to read offline?

Regards,

From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Re: Lisp Box in Win98?
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Peter Seibel's  Lispbox for Windows:
> lispbox-0.6-clisp-2.34.zip
>
> I unzipped into the folder C:\lispbox-0.6
>
> I am running Widnows 98, SE.
>
> I looked in the main directory and saw a BAT file, lispbox.bat, so I
> ran it. It brought up a console window which just said "OFF" so I
> assume the script ran successfully.
>
> Here is what the BAT file says:
>
> @echo off
> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>
> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%
>
> I noticed on the download page it says:
>
> "After you unpack the zip file you need to add a line to the
> lispbox.bat script setting %LISPBOX_HOME% to the directory created by
> unpacking the zip."
>
> I need to set it to C:\lispbox-0.6 but I don't know how to do this.
> What line should I add to the BAT file to do this?

%LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6

(Next time I build a Windows Lispbox I hope to have a better solution to this.)

> Also once I do that how do I run Emacs?

Run the .bat file. (From the command line or maybe by double clicking it.)

> And how do I tell Emacs to open a Lisp file in SLIME mode? I don't
> know how to setup SLIME either. I don't have a dot-emacs file. Where
> would I put this file? Can I have a sample dot-emacs to run in
> Windows?

The whole point of Lispbox is you don't need to worry about any of
these things.

> Also what do I do to actually run lisp?

It'll start up when you start the Lispbox. (Assuming everything works
right. Note that I haven't tested it on Windows 98 so there are no
guarantees. In fact there are no guaranteees on any other platform but
I have tested it on Windows XP and it worked. But someone ran into a
problem where a software firewall prevented all network connections
that weren't specifically allowed including ones to and from the local
machine which broke SLIME.)

> I am using your book to learn LISP, I can't afford to buy it right
> now so is it ok if I download the HTML pages to read offline?

Sure. Of course I'd rather you didn't then pass around your downloaded
copy--if you want to recommend the book to your friends send them to
my web site (and maybe point out that they can also buy a handsomely
bound hardback copy at their local bookseller or from Amazon.)

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Zach
Peter Seibel wrote:

> %LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6

Hi Peter,

Ok I have added this to lispbox.bat and I ran the script again.

Next I went into the clisp directory, clisp-2.34, and ran the script
install.bat.

I answered yes to all the questions.

I can now click on the "GNU Lisp" icon on my Desktop and CLISP will
load in a console window.

I am having some problems though. I clicked on a sample .lisp file and
was expecting it to be loaded into Emacs and for slime to load but it
instead a CLISP console window popped up and quickly closed so I
couldn't read what it said. I next tried manually opening a sample
.lisp file from Emacs. I went into the Emacs directory, emacs-21.3, and
the bin subdirectory and clicked on runemacs.exe (I did not see any
Emacs related BAT file anywhere) and Emacs opens so I go to File and
open the lisp file but it doesn't seem to load slime. I looked in
Buffers and there is no REPL buffer nor do I see any indication such a
mode is running. Seems I am missing a part of the process?

Also where was my dot-emacs file stored? I'd like to know so I can
tweak it as my Emacs knowlege grows :)

> Sure. Of course I'd rather you didn't then pass around your downloaded
> copy--if you want to recommend the book to your friends send them to
> my web site (and maybe point out that they can also buy a handsomely
> bound hardback copy at their local bookseller or from Amazon.)

Ok, I am making a website, when it is ready to be put online I'll be
sure to put a link to your Lisp webpage and I won't put the downloaded
HTML pages online.

Thanks,
Zach
From: Will McCutchen
Zach wrote:
> I am having some problems though. I clicked on a sample .lisp file and
> was expecting it to be loaded into Emacs and for slime to load but it
> instead a CLISP console window popped up and quickly closed so I
> couldn't read what it said. I next tried manually opening a sample
> .lisp file from Emacs. I went into the Emacs directory, emacs-21.3, and
> the bin subdirectory and clicked on runemacs.exe (I did not see any
> Emacs related BAT file anywhere) and Emacs opens so I go to File and
> open the lisp file but it doesn't seem to load slime. I looked in
> Buffers and there is no REPL buffer nor do I see any indication such a
> mode is running. Seems I am missing a part of the process?

This is just a guess, but I think you need to run the lispbox.bat file
that came with your Lispbox.  That should run Emacs and load Slime for
you.  At that point, you can go File > Open (or press C-x C-f) to open
a file to edit.
From: Peter Seibel
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>> %LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Ok I have added this to lispbox.bat and I ran the script again.

And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it should
have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:

CL-USER>

> Next I went into the clisp directory, clisp-2.34, and ran the script
> install.bat.

You shoudn't need to do that.

> I answered yes to all the questions.

Or that.

> I can now click on the "GNU Lisp" icon on my Desktop and CLISP will
> load in a console window.

That's fine, but you don't need to start CLISP yourself, it should
start when you start Lispbox.

> I am having some problems though. I clicked on a sample .lisp file
> and was expecting it to be loaded into Emacs and for slime to load
> but it instead a CLISP console window popped up and quickly closed
> so I couldn't read what it said. I next tried manually opening a
> sample .lisp file from Emacs. I went into the Emacs directory,
> emacs-21.3, and the bin subdirectory and clicked on runemacs.exe (I
> did not see any Emacs related BAT file anywhere) and Emacs opens so
> I go to File and open the lisp file but it doesn't seem to load
> slime. I looked in Buffers and there is no REPL buffer nor do I see
> any indication such a mode is running. Seems I am missing a part of
> the process?

When you run lispbox.bat it should start Emacs with SLIME loaded.

> Also where was my dot-emacs file stored? I'd like to know so I can
> tweak it as my Emacs knowlege grows :)

Lispbox, since it's meant to provide a predictable Lisp environment
for folks who don't want to be bothered learning about Emacs, disables
the loading of your .emacs. (Basically I wanted Lispbox to work even
if someone had a .emacs that tried to, say, load SLIME some other
way.) By the time you're an experienced Emacs user you can either
figure out what it is that's preventing Lispbox from loading your
.emacs or you can switch to using your own Emacs installation with
SLIME installed in the normal way.

>> Sure. Of course I'd rather you didn't then pass around your downloaded
>> copy--if you want to recommend the book to your friends send them to
>> my web site (and maybe point out that they can also buy a handsomely
>> bound hardback copy at their local bookseller or from Amazon.)
>
> Ok, I am making a website, when it is ready to be put online I'll be
> sure to put a link to your Lisp webpage and I won't put the downloaded
> HTML pages online.

Excellent.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Zach
Peter Seibel wrote:

> And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it should
> have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:
>
> CL-USER>

Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console window which
says:
"OFF" and the title bar says "Finished - lispbox" but nothing else
happens
No applications load.

Here is my complete lispbox.bat file:

@echo off
%LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6

From: Peter Seibel
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>> And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it should
>> have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:
>>
>> CL-USER>
>
> Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console window
> which says: "OFF" and the title bar says "Finished - lispbox" but
> nothing else happens No applications load.

Hmmm. That's not what's suppsed to happen. (If anyone else happens to
have a Windows 98 box lying around and wants to download the Windows
Lispbox from <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/download.html>, I'd
be interested to know whether it works on that OS at all.)

> Here is my complete lispbox.bat file:
>
> @echo off
> %LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6
> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>
> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

You might try changing the /'s in the 'set EMACS' line to \'s. It
shoudn't matter but maybe on Windows 98 it does. And it's certainly
more Windows-native to use the \'s.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Zach
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Hmmm. That's not what's suppsed to happen. (If anyone else happens to
> have a Windows 98 box lying around and wants to download the Windows
> Lispbox from <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/download.html>, I'd
> be interested to know whether it works on that OS at all.)

Hi guys,

I made the changes Roland and you suggested, yet when I run lispbox.bat
it produces the same results. I tried looking at what processes were
running (Ctrl-Alt-Del) this time while the MSDOS console window was
open after the script executed and I did not see any Emacs process
running. Here is my updated lispbox.bat:

@echo off
set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6

From: Zach
Peter Seibel wrote:

> You might try changing the /'s in the 'set EMACS' line to \'s. It
> shoudn't matter but maybe on Windows 98 it does. And it's certainly
> more Windows-native to use the \'s.

I made the changes Roland and you suggested and ran lispbox.bat again
and the same results. I did Ctrl-Alt-Del while the console was hanging
there and it did not show Emacs or any other process trying to start
up. Here is my updated lispbox.bat:

From: drewc
Peter Seibel wrote:
> "Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>>>And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it should
>>>have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:
>>>
>>>CL-USER>
>>
>>Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console window
>>which says: "OFF" and the title bar says "Finished - lispbox" but
>>nothing else happens No applications load.
>

> Hmmm. That's not what's suppsed to happen. (If anyone else happens to
> have a Windows 98 box lying around and wants to download the Windows
> Lispbox from <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/download.html>, I'd
> be interested to know whether it works on that OS at all.)

I have on old win98 box i keep around for testing in IE. I was able to
get lispbox to open using the following .bat :

set LISPBOX_HOME=C:\lisp\lispbox-0.6\
set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

%EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

But, it b0rks when compiling slime :

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
           #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS>

WARNING: DEFUN/DEFMACRO: redefining function GETPID in
          C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas, was
defined in
          top-level
*** - FFI::FOREIGN-LIBRARY: no dynamic object named "GetComputerNameExA" in
       library "kernel32.dll"
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip this form and proceed
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
SKIP           :R3      skip this form and proceed
STOP           :R4      stop loading file
ABORT          :R5      ABORT
Break 1 SWANK-BACKEND[2]>

That is about the full extent of my windows-fu, but i can offer VNC
access to the windows box to anyone who thinks they can fix this!

drewc

--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop
From: Timofei Shatrov
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:21:52 GMT, drewc <·····@rift.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Peter Seibel wrote:

>>>Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console window
>>>which says: "OFF" and the title bar says "Finished - lispbox" but
>>>nothing else happens No applications load.
>>

>> Hmmm. That's not what's suppsed to happen. (If anyone else happens to
>> have a Windows 98 box lying around and wants to download the Windows
>> Lispbox from <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/download.html>, I'd
>> be interested to know whether it works on that OS at all.)
>
>I have on old win98 box i keep around for testing in IE. I was able to
>get lispbox to open using the following .bat :
>

>set LISPBOX_HOME=C:\lisp\lispbox-0.6\
>set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
>set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>
>%EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%
>

>But, it b0rks when compiling slime :

>WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
>           #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS>
>
>WARNING: DEFUN/DEFMACRO: redefining function GETPID in
>          C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas, was
>defined in
>          top-level
>*** - FFI::FOREIGN-LIBRARY: no dynamic object named "GetComputerNameExA" in
>       library "kernel32.dll"
>The following restarts are available:
>SKIP           :R1      skip this form and proceed
>STOP           :R2      stop loading file
>SKIP           :R3      skip this form and proceed
>STOP           :R4      stop loading file
>ABORT          :R5      ABORT
>Break 1 SWANK-BACKEND[2]>
>
>That is about the full extent of my windows-fu, but i can offer VNC
>access to the windows box to anyone who thinks they can fix this!

Lispbox definetely works on win98, but it needs some tweaking. AFAIK
GetComputerNameExA is called from CLISP itself and it doesn't work on
Win98. The problem could be fixed by redefining getpid so it works. I
have the following lines in swank-clisp.lisp:

(let ((getpid (or (find-symbol "PROCESS-ID" :system)
		  ;; old name prior to 2005-03-01, clisp <= 2.33.2
		  (find-symbol "PROGRAM-ID" :system)
		  #+win32 ; integrated into the above since 2005-02-24
		  (and (find-package :win32) ; optional modules/win32
		       (find-symbol "GetCurrentProcessId" :win32)))))
  (defimplementation getpid () ; a required interface
    (cond
      (getpid (funcall getpid))
      #+win32 ((ext:getenv "PID")) ; where does that come from?
      (t -1))))

Find something similar in your file and replace it with that code. I
don't remember now what exactly needs to be fixed.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru  http://grue3.tripod.com |
|  k  ||  PWNZ J00   || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Lispbox definetely works on win98, but it needs some tweaking. AFAIK
> GetComputerNameExA is called from CLISP itself and it doesn't work on
> Win98. The problem could be fixed by redefining getpid so it works. I
> have the following lines in swank-clisp.lisp:
>
> (let ((getpid (or (find-symbol "PROCESS-ID" :system)
> 		  ;; old name prior to 2005-03-01, clisp <= 2.33.2
> 		  (find-symbol "PROGRAM-ID" :system)
> 		  #+win32 ; integrated into the above since 2005-02-24
> 		  (and (find-package :win32) ; optional modules/win32
> 		       (find-symbol "GetCurrentProcessId" :win32)))))
>   (defimplementation getpid () ; a required interface
>     (cond
>       (getpid (funcall getpid))
>       #+win32 ((ext:getenv "PID")) ; where does that come from?
>       (t -1))))
>
> Find something similar in your file and replace it with that code. I
> don't remember now what exactly needs to be fixed.

Privetik Timofei,

I looked in C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-clisp.lisp and found the
code under the section where it says:

#+win32
(ffi:def-call-out getpid (:name "GetCurrentProcessId")
  (:library "kernel32.dll")
  (:return-type ffi:uint32))

#+(or)

Well the code in there is exactly the same as the code you gave me.

Zach
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 11 Nov 2005 02:51:51 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>>
>> Lispbox definetely works on win98, but it needs some tweaking. AFAIK
>> GetComputerNameExA is called from CLISP itself and it doesn't work on
>> Win98. The problem could be fixed by redefining getpid so it works. I
>> have the following lines in swank-clisp.lisp:
>>
>> (let ((getpid (or (find-symbol "PROCESS-ID" :system)
>> 		  ;; old name prior to 2005-03-01, clisp <= 2.33.2
>> 		  (find-symbol "PROGRAM-ID" :system)
>> 		  #+win32 ; integrated into the above since 2005-02-24
>> 		  (and (find-package :win32) ; optional modules/win32
>> 		       (find-symbol "GetCurrentProcessId" :win32)))))
>>   (defimplementation getpid () ; a required interface
>>     (cond
>>       (getpid (funcall getpid))
>>       #+win32 ((ext:getenv "PID")) ; where does that come from?
>>       (t -1))))
>>
>> Find something similar in your file and replace it with that code. I
>> don't remember now what exactly needs to be fixed.
>
>Privetik Timofei,
>
>I looked in C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-clisp.lisp and found the
>code under the section where it says:
>
>#+win32
>(ffi:def-call-out getpid (:name "GetCurrentProcessId")
>  (:library "kernel32.dll")
>  (:return-type ffi:uint32))
>
>#+(or)
>
>Well the code in there is exactly the same as the code you gave me.

Maybe. The problem with the lines above is that I deleted them :) You
see, the s-expression after #+(or) is not evaluated so my code is never
used. The code after #+win32 is used instead. This code doesn't work for
win98 and should be deleted. So, you should either delete or comment out
the lines you quoted. However if you still weren't able to run Emacs
with Slime I recommend to try it as is and see if the problem arises.

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Maybe. The problem with the lines above is that I deleted them :) You
> see, the s-expression after #+(or) is not evaluated so my code is never
> used. The code after #+win32 is used instead. This code doesn't work for
> win98 and should be deleted. So, you should either delete or comment out
> the lines you quoted. However if you still weren't able to run Emacs
> with Slime I recommend to try it as is and see if the problem arises.

Privet Tomofei,

Hey this actually produced some results! Not sure if they are 100%
correct but here is what I did. Ok I did as you suggested and commented
out the #+win32 block of code in swak-clisp.lisp and then ran the
following manual commands (for some reason when run as BAT scipt they
do not work!):

C:\WINDOWS>set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
C:\WINDOWS>set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
C:\WINDOWS>set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
C:\WINDOWS>%EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

And then Emacs loaded and did LOTS of stuff :-) I will do my best to
describe and copy what it said.

First in the upper buffer it talked about loading slime and said:

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2005

[1]>
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-backend.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-backend.fas
C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-backend.fas ...
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-backend.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\nregex.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\nregex.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\nregex.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\xref.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\xref.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\xref.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\metering.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\metering.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\metering.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-clisp.lisp ...
WARNING: DEFMETHOD: redefining method (LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME
NIL) in
         C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-clisp.lisp, was defined in
         C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-backend.lisp
WARNING: DEFMETHOD: redefining method (UNPROFILE-ALL NIL) in
         C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-clisp.lisp, was defined in
         C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-backend.lisp
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas
WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD NIL> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SET-DEFAULT-DIRECTORY>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION ARGLIST>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD NIL> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION UNPROFILE-ALL>

WARNING: DEFUN/DEFMACRO: redefining function BREAK in
         C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas, was
defined in
         D:\gnu\clisp\current\build-O-mingw\condition.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-gray.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-gray.fas
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-LINE-COLUMN>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-FORCE-OUTPUT>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-LINE-COLUMN>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-gray.fas
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank.fas
The following functions were used but are deprecated:

 SET - This function name is anachronistic. Use SETF SYMBOL-VALUE
instead.
0 errors, 0 warnings
WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
         (ACTIVATE-STEPPING ADD-FD-HANDLER ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
ALL-THREADS
         CALLS-WHO
         DISASSEMBLE-FRAME FIND-THREAD GETPID INSPECT-FOR-EMACS
         INTERRUPT-THREAD
         RECEIVE REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS SEND
         SLDB-BREAK-AT-START
         SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN SPAWN THREAD-ID TOGGLE-TRACE
WHO-MACROEXPANDS
         WHO-SPECIALIZES)
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf.lisp
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf-extensions.lisp
;;  Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\site-init.lisp
;; Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-loader.lisp
[2]>
;; Swank started at port: 1492.

This top buffer now says "-1\**   *inferior-lisp*
(Comint:run)--L98--Bot----------------"
What does that mean?

The bottom buffer says "-1\%*  *sldb nil/0*
(sldb[1])--L12--Top-------------"
I have no clue what this means hehe. And here is what it says inside
that buffer:

NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #1=#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
     SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID> with arguments NIL, no method is applicable.
   [Condition of type CLOS:METHOD-CALL-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [RETRY] try calling SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID again
  1: [RETURN] specify return values
  2: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  3: [ABORT] ABORT

Backtrace:
  0: frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):
  | ~ SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> NIL

  1: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:CONNECTION-INFO)

  2: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-16516017" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT :ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)

  3: EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-16516017" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT :ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)

In case it helps here is the contents of my Messages buffer:

(C:\LISPBOX-0.6\EMACS-21.3\BIN\EMACS.EXE --no-init-file --no-site-file
--eval=(progn (load "lispbox") (slime)))
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Polling "c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-16516017".. (Abort with `M-x
slime-abort-connection'.) [25 times]
Connecting to Swank on port 1492..
Process bridge is installed

And here is the contents of my slime-events buffer:

(:emacs-rex
 (swank:connection-info)
 nil t 1)
(:open-dedicated-output-stream 1496)
(:debug 0 1
	("NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #1=#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION\n
   SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID> with arguments NIL, no method is applicable."
"   [Condition of type CLOS:METHOD-CALL-ERROR]" nil nil)
	(("RETRY" "try calling SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID again")
	 ("RETURN" "specify return values")
	 ("ABORT" "Abort handling SLIME request.")
	 ("ABORT" "ABORT"))
	((0 "frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):\n  | ~
SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> NIL\n")
	 (1 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:CONNECTION-INFO)\n")
	 (2 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
\"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-16516017\" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
:ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)\n"))
	(1))
(:debug-activate 0 1)
(:emacs-rex
 (swank:backtrace 3 42)
 nil 0 2)
(:return
 (:ok
  ((3 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
\"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-16516017\" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
:ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)\n")))
 2)
(:debug-activate 0 1)

Hopefully someone who understand all this output can let me know if
slime is now working and if so how can i verify/test this? I have never
used slime before (and only have very basic beginner's knowledge of
emacs ) :-)

Thanks,
Zach
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 11 Nov 2005 22:53:18 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #1=#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
>     SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID> with arguments NIL, no method is applicable.
>   [Condition of type CLOS:METHOD-CALL-ERROR]
>
>Restarts:
>  0: [RETRY] try calling SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID again
>  1: [RETURN] specify return values
>  2: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
>  3: [ABORT] ABORT

Did you remove #+(or) as well? Seems like you have getpid undefined.

BTW, there is also another method to solve "getpid" problem: add these
lines of code somewhere in whereabouts of deleted code:

(defimplementation getpid ()
   (OS:PROCESS-ID))

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> Did you remove #+(or) as well? Seems like you have getpid undefined.

Here is what I have:

#+win32
;;(ffi:def-call-out getpid (:name "GetCurrentProcessId")
;;  (:library "kernel32.dll")
;;  (:return-type ffi:uint32))
;; EDITED OUT BY ME, ZU, 11/12/05, FOR WIN98 DEBUG
#+(or)
(let ((getpid (or (find-symbol "PROCESS-ID" :system)
		  ;; old name prior to 2005-03-01, clisp <= 2.33.2
		  (find-symbol "PROGRAM-ID" :system)
		  #+win32 ; integrated into the above since 2005-02-24
		  (and (find-package :win32) ; optional modules/win32
		       (find-symbol "GetCurrentProcessId" :win32)))))
  (defimplementation getpid () ; a required interface
    (cond
      (getpid (funcall getpid))
      #+win32 ((ext:getenv "PID")) ; where does that come from?
      (t -1))))

(defimplementation lisp-implementation-type-name ()
  "clisp")

(defimplementation set-default-directory (directory)
  (setf (ext:default-directory) directory)
  (namestring (setf *default-pathname-defaults*
(ext:default-directory))))

> BTW, there is also another method to solve "getpid" problem: add these
> lines of code somewhere in whereabouts of deleted code:
>
> (defimplementation getpid ()
>    (OS:PROCESS-ID))

Ok I will try that and add:

#+win32
  (defimplementation getpid ()
     (OS:PROCESS-ID))

so that will be only code executed for the #+win32 switch there right?
Should I still remove  #+(or)?

Zach
From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Did you remove #+(or) as well? Seems like you have getpid undefined.
>
> BTW, there is also another method to solve "getpid" problem: add these
> lines of code somewhere in whereabouts of deleted code:
>
> (defimplementation getpid ()
>    (OS:PROCESS-ID))

Here is the code I have now in swank-clisp.lisp:

[...]

I ran lispbox.bat again and it did not execute the commands so I had to
manually type them in. I hope we can figure out the problem with the
BAT file syntax so I don't have to type in 4 lines of commands every
time I want to tun Emacs with Slime :) Emacs came up and here are my
buffers:

*inferior-lisp*

> [...]

 SET - This function name is anachronistic. Use SETF SYMBOL-VALUE
instead.
0 errors, 0 warnings
WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
         (ACTIVATE-STEPPING ADD-FD-HANDLER ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
ALL-THREADS
         CALLS-WHO
         DISASSEMBLE-FRAME FIND-THREAD GETPID INSPECT-FOR-EMACS
         INTERRUPT-THREAD
         RECEIVE REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS SEND
         SLDB-BREAK-AT-START
         SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN SPAWN THREAD-ID TOGGLE-TRACE
WHO-MACROEXPANDS
         WHO-SPECIALIZES)
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf.lisp
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf-extensions.lisp
;;  Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\site-init.lisp
;; Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-loader.lisp
;; Swank started at port: 1839.

*sldb nil/0*

NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #1=#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
     SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID> with arguments NIL, no method is applicable.
   [Condition of type CLOS:METHOD-CALL-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [RETRY] try calling SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID again
  1: [RETURN] specify return values
  2: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  3: [ABORT] ABORT

*Messages*

(C:\LISPBOX-0.6\EMACS-21.3\BIN\EMACS.EXE --no-init-file --no-site-file
--eval=(progn (load "lispbox") (slime)))
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Polling "c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-757085".. (Abort with `M-x
slime-abort-connection'.) [19 times]
Connecting to Swank on port 1839..
Process bridge is installed

*slime-events*

(:emacs-rex
 (swank:connection-info)
 nil t 1)
(:open-dedicated-output-stream 1843)
(:debug 0 1
	("NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #1=#<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION\n
   SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID> with arguments NIL, no method is applicable."
"   [Condition of type CLOS:METHOD-CALL-ERROR]" nil nil)
	(("RETRY" "try calling SWANK-BACKEND:GETPID again")
	 ("RETURN" "specify return values")
	 ("ABORT" "Abort handling SLIME request.")
	 ("ABORT" "ABORT"))
	((0 "frame binding variables (~ = dynamically):\n  | ~
SYSTEM::*FASOUTPUT-STREAM* <--> NIL\n")
	 (1 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:CONNECTION-INFO)\n")
	 (2 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
\"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-757085\" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
:ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)\n"))
	(1))
(:debug-activate 0 1)
(:emacs-rex
 (swank:backtrace 3 42)
 nil 0 2)
(:return
 (:ok
  ((3 "EVAL frame for form (SWANK:START-SERVER
\"c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-757085\" :EXTERNAL-FORMAT
:ISO-LATIN-1-UNIX)\n")))
 2)
(:debug-activate 0 1)

I think SLIME is working because I have I opened asdf.lisp and the code
has syntax highlghting (different colors) and there is SLIME menu, I
selected REPL and it shows a buffer below called "slime-repl
clisp-2.34* and shows:
CL-USER>

I've never used SLIME so I don't know how to use it yet to test it.
Anything I can try?
Is there a good SLIME users/guide or a guide on coding LISP using the
Emacs editor?

Regards,
Zach
From: Sam Steingold
> * Zach <······@tznvy.pbz> [2005-11-12 18:18:33 -0800]:
>
> Here is the code I have now in swank-clisp.lisp:
>
> #+(or)
> ;;(let ((getpid (or (find-symbol "PROCESS-ID" :system)
> ;;		  ;; old name prior to 2005-03-01, clisp <= 2.33.2
> ;;		  (find-symbol "PROGRAM-ID" :system)
> ;;		  #+win32 ; integrated into the above since 2005-02-24
> ;;		  (and (find-package :win32) ; optional modules/win32
> ;;		       (find-symbol "GetCurrentProcessId" :win32)))))
> ;;  (defimplementation getpid () ; a required interface
> ;;    (cond
> ;;      (getpid (funcall getpid))
> ;;      #+win32 ((ext:getenv "PID")) ; where does that come from?
> ;;      (t -1))))
> (defimplementation getpid ()
>    (OS:PROCESS-ID))

#+(or) kills getpid

http://www.jihadwatch.org/ http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/
http://www.camera.org http://pmw.org.il/ http://www.dhimmi.com/
main(a){printf(a,34,a="main(a){printf(a,34,a=%c%s%c,34);}",34);}
From: Zach
Sam Steingold wrote:
> #+(or) kills getpid

Shalom Sam,

So I should just delete "#+(or)" yes?

SDG,
Zach
From: Zach
Sam Steingold wrote:

> #+(or) kills getpid

I commented out "#+(or)" and that seems to have done the trick! Here is
my updated swank-clisp.lisp:

[...]

For some reason the BAT file will not run without errors yet if I
manually type in the same commands they work! Perhaps some DOS guru can
look into this ;-) Here is what I typed to envoke Emacs with Slime:

C:\> set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
C:\> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
C:\> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
C:\> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

set EMACS=c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe

Emacs loads with slime and says:

*slime-repl clisp-2.34*   (REPL)
Connected. Lemonodor-fame is but a hack away!

and inside it says:

CLISP   Port: 3770  Pid: -687629
; SLIME 2005-07-03
CL-USER>

And there is a REPL menu.

Here are my buffers:

*slime-events*

(:emacs-rex
 (swank:connection-info)
 nil t 1)
(:open-dedicated-output-stream 3786)
(:return
 (:ok
  (-687629 "CLISP" "clisp"
	   (:com\.gigamonkeys\.asdf-extensions :asdf :dirkey :rawsock :regexp
:syscalls :i18n :loop :compiler :clos :mop :clisp :ansi-cl :common-lisp
:lisp=cl :interpreter :sockets :generic-streams :logical-pathnames
:screen ...)
	   nil "2.34 (2005-07-20) (built on winsteingoldlap.ad.alphatech.com
[10.41.52.183])" "bach.aoldsl.net [169.254.38.14]"))
 1)

*Messages*

(C:\LISPBOX-0.6\EMACS-21.3\BIN\EMACS.EXE --no-init-file --no-site-file
--eval=(progn (load "lispbox") (slime)))
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Polling "c:/WINDOWS/TEMP/slime.-637461".. (Abort with `M-x
slime-abort-connection'.) [5 times]
Connecting to Swank on port 3782..
Process bridge is installed
Connected. Lemonodor-fame is but a hack away!

*slime-repl clisp-2.34*

; SLIME 2005-07-03
CL-USER>

*inferior-lisp*

  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2005

[1]>
C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-backend.fas ...
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-backend.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\nregex.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\xref.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\metering.fas
WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION CALL-WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD NIL> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION LISP-IMPLEMENTATION-TYPE-NAME>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION SET-DEFAULT-DIRECTORY>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD (#<BUILT-IN-CLASS T>)> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION ARGLIST>

WARNING: Replacing method #<STANDARD-METHOD NIL> in
          #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION UNPROFILE-ALL>

WARNING: DEFUN/DEFMACRO: redefining function BREAK in
         C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas, was
defined in
         D:\gnu\clisp\current\build-O-mingw\condition.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-clisp.fas
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-LINE-COLUMN>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-FORCE-OUTPUT>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
WARNING: The generic function #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
STREAM-LINE-COLUMN>
         is being modified, but has already been called.
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank-gray.fas
;;  Loaded file C:\.slime\fasl\clisp-2.34-win32-pc386\swank.fas
0 errors, 0 warnings
WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
         (ACTIVATE-STEPPING ADD-FD-HANDLER ADD-SIGIO-HANDLER
ALL-THREADS
         CALLS-WHO
         DISASSEMBLE-FRAME FIND-THREAD INSPECT-FOR-EMACS
INTERRUPT-THREAD
         RECEIVE
         REMOVE-FD-HANDLERS REMOVE-SIGIO-HANDLERS SEND
SLDB-BREAK-AT-START
         SLDB-BREAK-ON-RETURN SPAWN THREAD-ID TOGGLE-TRACE
WHO-MACROEXPANDS
         WHO-SPECIALIZES)
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf.lisp
;;   Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf-extensions.lisp
;;  Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\site-init.lisp
;; Loaded file C:\lispbox-0.6\slime-1.2.1\swank-loader.lisp
[2]>
;; Swank started at port: 3782.

I opened up asdf.lisp and my Emacs bar says:
"-- (Unix)-- asdf.lisp   (Lisp Slime:asdf)"

I went to SLIME -> Compilation -> Compile File

and it said:

; SLIME 2005-07-03
;;;; Compile file c:/lispbox-0.6/asdf.lisp ...
;; Compiling file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf.lisp ...
;; Wrote file C:\lispbox-0.6\asdf.fas
0 errors, 0 warnings

CL-USER>

It seems to have compiled fun, so now how do I run it and see the
program execute?

Does anyone know of a good Emacs Slime users guide?

Thanks,
Zach
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 12 Nov 2005 22:26:33 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>For some reason the BAT file will not run without errors yet if I
>manually type in the same commands they work! Perhaps some DOS guru can
>look into this ;-) Here is what I typed to envoke Emacs with Slime:
>
>C:\> set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
>C:\> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
>C:\> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>C:\> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%
>
>set EMACS=c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe

Try to make the .bat file simply run emacs. Then work from here, adding
more features.

For example, does this work?

c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
--eval=%TO_EVAL%

Then add these 3 lines at the beginning:

set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6
set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

>Emacs loads with slime and says:
>
>*slime-repl clisp-2.34*   (REPL)
>Connected. Lemonodor-fame is but a hack away!

A success! To do stuff, you can either type things in REPL, or to edit a
file with emacs, and then use C-c C-k to compile it. You can use C-c C-c
to compile individual functions. Also Slime manual is helpful although
you need to get texinfo to read it.

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Try to make the .bat file simply run emacs. Then work from here, adding
> more features.
>
> For example, does this work?
>
> c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
> --eval=%TO_EVAL%

Yes, if I put just that in the .bat file it runs and loads an Emacs.

> Then add these 3 lines at the beginning:
>
> set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6
> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

That gives a syntax error. I looked up the SET command and can't find
anything wrong
with the syntax. Next I added the lines sequentially and tried the new
combinations:
set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6   ;; works fine

set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6
set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe ;; gives syntax
error

It displays in the console window:

C:\lispbox-0.6>set LISPBOX_HOME=C:\lispbox-0.6
                                              set
EMACS=\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
Syntax error

It seems the value of LISPBOX_HOME is not being passed to EMACS
variable. I even tried this again with all backslashes instead of
frontslashes and still this error. According to everything I've read
the syntax is correct. Any ideas?

Do you know if anyone has converted the slime manual from texinfo
format to HTML or even PDF/PS?

Zach
From: Magnus Henoch
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> It displays in the console window:
>

> C:\lispbox-0.6>set LISPBOX_HOME=C:\lispbox-0.6
>                                               set
> EMACS=\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
> Syntax error
>
> It seems the value of LISPBOX_HOME is not being passed to EMACS
> variable. I even tried this again with all backslashes instead of
> frontslashes and still this error. According to everything I've read
> the syntax is correct. Any ideas?

This looks like a line ending mismatch.  Your .bat file uses LF, but
cmd.exe expects CRLF.  (All of this is a guess, though)

Magnus
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 13 Nov 2005 06:52:11 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>It seems the value of LISPBOX_HOME is not being passed to EMACS
>variable. I even tried this again with all backslashes instead of
>frontslashes and still this error. According to everything I've read
>the syntax is correct. Any ideas?

Well, you need only LISPBOX_HOME and TO_EVAL, EMACS is not too
important.

>Do you know if anyone has converted the slime manual from texinfo
>format to HTML or even PDF/PS?

Yes, I did. I hope the original authors don't mind if I share them:

http://rapidshare.de/files/7587741/slime-docs.zip.html

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> Yes, I did. I hope the original authors don't mind if I share them:
>
> http://rapidshare.de/files/7587741/slime-docs.zip.html

Awesome! Spasibo Timofei.

Zach
From: Roland Kaufmann

    Zach> Peter Seibel wrote:
    >>
    >> And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it
    >> should have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:

    CL-USER>

    Zach> Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console
    Zach> window which says: "OFF" and the title bar says "Finished -
    Zach> lispbox" but nothing else happens
    Zach> No applications load.

    Zach> Here is my complete lispbox.bat file:

    Zach> @echo off
    Zach> %LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6
This should be
          set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
instead.
    Zach> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
    Zach> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

    Zach> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

                                Hope this helps
                                    Roland
From: Peter Seibel
Roland Kaufmann <···············@space.at> writes:

>     Zach> Peter Seibel wrote:
>     >>
>     >> And what happened? It should have started Emacs and in Emacs it
>     >> should have started Lisp, ending up with a prompt like this:
>     >>
>     CL-USER>
>
>     Zach> Ok, when I run lispbox.bat it brings up a MS-DOS console
>     Zach> window which says: "OFF" and the title bar says "Finished -
>     Zach> lispbox" but nothing else happens
>     Zach> No applications load.
>
>     Zach> Here is my complete lispbox.bat file:
>
>     Zach> @echo off
>     Zach> %LISPBOX_HOME%=c:\lispbox-0.6
> This should be
>           set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
> instead.

Doh! I think I gave the wrong advice. Sorry about that Zach.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Zach
Peter Seibel wrote:
> > This should be
> >           set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
> > instead.
>
> Doh! I think I gave the wrong advice. Sorry about that Zach.

Hi Peter,

Ah that's ok :-) Well Roland's advice doesn't work either. This is very
frustrating. Anything else I can try?

Zach
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 11 Nov 2005 02:23:39 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Peter Seibel wrote:
>> > This should be
>> >           set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
>> > instead.
>>
>> Doh! I think I gave the wrong advice. Sorry about that Zach.
>
>Hi Peter,
>
>Ah that's ok :-) Well Roland's advice doesn't work either. This is very
>frustrating. Anything else I can try?

Do manual substitution. Replace %LISPBOX_HOME% with the lispbox path,
%EMACS% with emacs path and so on. What is left is one line:

c:/lispbox-0.6/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
--eval="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

That should work. Alternatively remove @echo off and show us the output.
It may be possible that there's not enough memory for environment
variables (happens a lot in my case - that's why I never use them).

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Do manual substitution. Replace %LISPBOX_HOME% with the lispbox path,
> %EMACS% with emacs path and so on. What is left is one line:
>
> c:/lispbox-0.6/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
> --eval="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"

Ok I did it manually and an Emacs loaded but on the bottom part (under

Cannot open load file: slime

Here is the console output after I ran script without the ·@echo off":

C:\lispbox-0.6>
               set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
               set EMACS=\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
               set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
                                            --no-init-file
--no-site-file --eval=

Bad command or file name

Regards,
Zach
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 11 Nov 2005 09:13:40 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>C:\lispbox-0.6>
>               set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6
>               set EMACS=\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
>               set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>                                            --no-init-file
>--no-site-file --eval=
>
>Bad command or file name

Try this:

set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6/
set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
path-to-emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

where you substitute path-to-emacs manually to
c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe

Seems that DOS batch needs backslashes in path to recognize a call to
file, but lispbox.el wants LISPBOX_HOME to be a path with forward
slashes.

From: Zach
Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Try this:
>
> set LISPBOX_HOME=c:/lispbox-0.6/
> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
> path-to-emacs --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%
>
> where you substitute path-to-emacs manually to
> c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe
>
> Seems that DOS batch needs backslashes in path to recognize a call to
> file, but lispbox.el wants LISPBOX_HOME to be a path with forward
> slashes.

I tried that and it still said:

Bad command or file name

Zach
From: Peter Seibel
····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:

> On 11 Nov 2005 02:23:39 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
> confuse everyone with this message:

>>> Doh! I think I gave the wrong advice. Sorry about that Zach.
>>
>>Hi Peter,
>>
>>Ah that's ok :-) Well Roland's advice doesn't work either. This is very
>>frustrating. Anything else I can try?
>>

> Do manual substitution. Replace %LISPBOX_HOME% with the lispbox path,
> %EMACS% with emacs path and so on. What is left is one line:
>
> c:/lispbox-0.6/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
> --eval="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>
> That should work.

Except it won't, because after Emacs starts (assuming it does), it'll
need LISPBOX_HOME to be set.

> Alternatively remove @echo off and show us the output.  It may be
> possible that there's not enough memory for environment variables
> (happens a lot in my case - that's why I never use them).

Yes, at this point more output might be our only hope.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Alexander Schmolck
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> ····@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) writes:
>
>> On 11 Nov 2005 02:23:39 -0800, "Zach" <······@gmail.com> tried to
>> confuse everyone with this message:

>>>Hi Peter,
>>>
>>>Ah that's ok :-) Well Roland's advice doesn't work either. This is very
>>>frustrating. Anything else I can try?
>>>

>> Do manual substitution. Replace %LISPBOX_HOME% with the lispbox path,
>> %EMACS% with emacs path and so on. What is left is one line:
>>
>> c:/lispbox-0.6/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe --no-init-file --no-site-file
>> --eval="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>>
>> That should work.
>
> Except it won't, because after Emacs starts (assuming it does), it'll
> need LISPBOX_HOME to be set.

Haven't been following this but how about trying

 (progn (setenv "LISPBOX_HOME" "whatever-is-right") (load \"lispbox\") (slime))

'as
From: Zach
Alexander Schmolck wrote:

> Haven't been following this but how about trying
>
>  (progn (setenv "LISPBOX_HOME" "whatever-is-right") (load \"lispbox\") (slime))
>
> 'as

Hi Alexander,

I think perhaps Win98's DOS batch scripts require a different syntax
because when I ran the following script I got the error:

Bad command or file name

However when I manually typed in the commands it ran:

C:\WINDOWS>set EMACS=c:\lispbox-0.6\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe

C:\WINDOWS>set TO_EVAL="(progn (setenv "LISPBOX_HOME" "c:\lispbox-0.6")
(load \"
lispbox\") (slime))"

C:\WINDOWS>%EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%

and an Emacs came up but it has an error message under ("Lisp
Interaction") - what is this part of the Emacs window called by the
way? - anyways here is what it said:

Symbol's value as variable is void: LISPBOX_HOME

So then I ran the same manual commands but this time I added first:

C:\WINDOWS>set LISPBOX_HOME=c:\lispbox-0.6

but that didn't have any effect and I got the same error message in
Emacs.

Hmm.

Zach
From: Alexander Schmolck
"Zach" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> Alexander Schmolck wrote:
>>
>> Haven't been following this but how about trying
>>
>>  (progn (setenv "LISPBOX_HOME" "whatever-is-right") (load \"lispbox\") (slime))
>>
>> 'as
>
> Hi Alexander,
>
> I think perhaps Win98's DOS batch scripts require a different syntax
> because when I ran the following script I got the error:

Sorry, I guess that's because I overlooked the \"s.

(progn (setenv \"LISPBOX_HOME\" \"whatever-is-right\") (load \"lispbox\") (slime))

as I said I just chanced in -- my only point was that you can also set an
check environment variables in emacs itself (at least under unix); to see if
it worked as desired try M-x getenv (M-x = <Alt><x>). This may or may not
help resolve or diagnose your problem -- I don't have anything useful to say
about running emacs or lispbox under windows in general.

'as
From: Edi Weitz
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:26:40 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> (Next time I build a Windows Lispbox I hope to have a better
> solution to this.)

Have you considered something like this?

  <http://nsis.sourceforge.net/>
  <http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Peter Seibel
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:26:40 GMT, Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
>
>> (Next time I build a Windows Lispbox I hope to have a better
>> solution to this.)
>
> Have you considered something like this?
>
>   <http://nsis.sourceforge.net/>

Indeed I have. That's what Matthew Danish's original Lisp in a Box
used on Windows. It looks reasonable (though sad they had to invent
their own weird scripting language instead of just using Lisp. ;-)) I
just haven't had the time to sit down and figure it out. My current
plans are to 1) refresh all the Lispboxen with the latest-greatest
versions of SLIME, Emacs, and the Lisp implementatons. 2) During that
at least fix the Windows BAT file so it Just Works (thanks to the
folks who sent me the neccessary incantations to let COMMAND figure
out where it's being invoked from.) 3) Figure out how to make an
Allegro 7.0 Lispbox for Windows. 4) Circle back and try to make a nice
installer for Windows. Who knows how long all of that will take.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: R. Mattes
On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:14:14 -0800, Zach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded Peter Seibel's  Lispbox for Windows:
> lispbox-0.6-clisp-2.34.zip
>
> I unzipped into the folder C:\lispbox-0.6
>
> I am running Widnows 98, SE.
>
> I looked in the main directory and saw a BAT file, lispbox.bat, so I
> ran it. It brought up a console window which just said "OFF" so I
> assume the script ran successfully.
>
> Here is what the BAT file says:
>
> @echo off
> set EMACS=%LISPBOX_HOME%/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs.exe
> set TO_EVAL="(progn (load \"lispbox\") (slime))"
>
> %EMACS% --no-init-file --no-site-file --eval=%TO_EVAL%
>
> I noticed on the download page it says:
>
> "After you unpack the zip file you need to add a line to the
> lispbox.bat script setting %LISPBOX_HOME% to the directory created by
> unpacking the zip."
>
> I need to set it to C:\lispbox-0.6 but I don't know how to do this.
> What line should I add to the BAT file to do this?

Just add:

 set LISPBOX_HOME=<put here where you installed it>

right after the ·@echo off' line.

 HTH Ralf Mattes