From: Zach
Subject: Platform independent LISP?
Is there any efforts underway to make LISP like Java in so far as it
would be able
to be platform independent and be able to run in a web browser?

Zach

From: Karstens Rage
Subject: Re: Platform independent LISP?
Zach wrote:
> Is there any efforts underway to make LISP like Java in so far as it
> would be able
> to be platform independent and be able to run in a web browser?
>
> Zach

Umm Java is pretty much reknowned for "write once, test everywhere"
rather than being platform independent. I'm guessing within a particular
implementation of LISP you are more platform independent than Java.

From: Christian Jullien
OpenLisp (ISO 13816 standard) is totally platform independant
You can download a free version (no time bomb, nag screen) for 31 platforms:

http://www.eligis.com/downloads/

Here is the source code of a HTTPD server that runs 24/7 on different
customer sites

http://www.eligis.com/codes/httpd.html

You can even have dynamic lisp code inside html, see
http://www.eligis.com/odsp.html

The non free version let you run commercial applications and build your apps
as a single binary file (.exe in Windows)

·····························@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

From: ··················@gmx.net
What is
 Conforming implementation of ISO/IEC 13816:1997(E) ISLISP Language.
compared to Common Lisp?

Does anybody have experience with this one?
I am very interested, because of the non commercial licence...
From: Peter Seibel
··················@gmx.net writes:

> What is
>  Conforming implementation of ISO/IEC 13816:1997(E) ISLISP Language.
> compared to Common Lisp?
>
> Does anybody have experience with this one?
> I am very interested, because of the non commercial licence...

Google islisp, find this:

  <http://islisp.info/>

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Edi Weitz
On 10 Nov 2005 10:13:48 -0800, ··················@gmx.net wrote:

> What is
>  Conforming implementation of ISO/IEC 13816:1997(E) ISLISP Language.
> compared to Common Lisp?

  <http://islisp.info/>   [see "FAQ", "Specification", etc.]

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: drewc
Zach wrote:
> Is there any efforts underway to make LISP like Java in so far as it
> would be able
> to be platform independent and be able to run in a web browser?

Sure: http://armedbear.org/abcl.html

drewc

--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop
From: Dr. Thomas Fischbacher
Zach wrote:

> Is there any efforts underway to make LISP like Java in so far as it
> would be able
> to be platform independent and be able to run in a web browser?

What you basically want to do is to compile lisp code for the JVM
platform so you can write applets in Lisp.

I played around a bit with this some time ago, and still do
occasionally. Maybe I should mention first that I consider myself far
from being a Java expert, so everything I say should be taken with a
grain of salt.

One of the problems is that you certainly want to be able to call Java
methods from within Lisp, and presumably even define Java classes in
Lisp (and even if it were only to write subclasses of existing Java
classes to implement new widgets).

As far as I can tell, there are some systems out there which allow this,
but there are subtle differences in the way how the Java reflection api
is used to achieve that effect. As far as I know, this certainly is a
problem for SISC scheme, and it may as well be a problem for ABCL, I
think to remember, but I so far never played with ABCL of my own, so I
may be mistaken here.

I know that there is a Java REPL applet demo at

http://sisc.sourceforge.net/sisc-online.php

but here, the SISC repl widget has been coded directly in Java, not in
Scheme, and it seems to be hard to impossible to teach SISC to use Java
stuff from within an applet. It seems to be fine for server-side Java
scheme, though (but I'd personally prefer mod-lisp for that):

http://www.lisperati.com/quick.html

This is somewhat sad, as SISC is such a good Java Scheme (in particular,
it's quite efficient and has full-blown continuation support *sigh*).

Among the different Schemes, JScheme/SILK comes to one's mind. I
unfortunately did not manage to get something useful done with it that
goes in the direction of Scheme Applets using Java classes. Bigloo also
can compile to the JVM, and here's a primitive, stupid example that
demonstrates that it's really possible:

http://spotlight-data.de/experiments/scheme3d/bigloo3d.html

However, I could not get rid of Java security problems that again seem
to come from the reflection api stuff, and I find the bigloo
implementation code quite difficult to read, so I eventually dropped
this as well and went on to Kawa Scheme, which is my current favourite.
At least, the authors seem to have thought about people wanting to
create Applets with Scheme: there is a --applet compiler switch with
which one can create applet code. (If one wants to build swing JApplets,
that's a different issue. I by now suppose it's also possible without
having to bend over backwards, but my initial approach was to hack a
--japplet option into kawa that parallels the --applet switch. Easily done.)

--
Dr. Thomas Fischbacher