From: Zach
Subject: Lisp for MS Windows?
Are there any freely available Lisp implementations that run on MS
Windows (98 specifically)?

I have GNU Emacs running in Windows. I would like to set it up such
that when I open a lisp file in Emacs it and tell it to compile it will
invoke the Lisp compiler. Does anyone know how to do this?

Zach

From: Will McCutchen
Subject: Re: Lisp for MS Windows?
> Are there any freely available Lisp implementations that run on MS
> Windows (98 specifically)?

I use CLISP on Windows 2000:
http://clisp.cons.org/
From: Mr T
Zach,

I use XEmacs + Clisp + Slime (latest build from cvs) on windows XP.
Very easy to setup and works like a charm.

Another possibility is to download LispBox, the advantage is that
everything is already configured for you. Just install it and you are
all set. You can find it at
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/

/Cheers
Thierry

From: Peter Seibel
"Mr T" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Zach,
>
> I use XEmacs + Clisp + Slime (latest build from cvs) on windows XP.
> Very easy to setup and works like a charm.
>
> Another possibility is to download LispBox, the advantage is that
> everything is already configured for you. Just install it and you are
> all set. You can find it at
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/

And anyone who tries out the Lispbox should feel free to shoot me an
email if it doesn't work easily on your particular platform or
whatever as I am still working on it and plan to release updated
versions in the not too distant future.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Revzala Haelmic
Zach wrote:
> Are there any freely available Lisp implementations that run on MS
> Windows (98 specifically)?
>
> I have GNU Emacs running in Windows. I would like to set it up such
> that when I open a lisp file in Emacs it and tell it to compile it will
> invoke the Lisp compiler. Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Zach

Hi, Zach!
I'll try to answer your three posts at once.
ECL is worth to give it a try.

<http://ecls.sourceforge.net/>

It's free and released under LGPL. So, you don't need to buy any commercial
tools that always are evil :-)
It runs on Windows and Unix-like platforms, and also on several processor
architectures. And there is a way to connect it to Emacs with SLIME.

ECL can make executables that depend only on one DLL which is about 4Mb in
size
and can easily be distributed with your program.

To make ECL compiler work on Windows, I use MinGW <http://www.mingw.org/>

To make it work under *nixes, everything is already there ;)

What about browser and cross-platform, you can try to write applets in Lisp.
ABCL can compile code directly into JVM bytecodes. Also there is a note
that "It
is also possible to use recent versions of the GNU Java compiler gcj to
produce
a standalone native executable".

<http://www.cliki.net/Armed%20Bear%20Lisp>
<http://armedbear.org/abcl.html>
From: Juanjo
Revzala Haelmic wrote:
> ECL can make executables that depend only on one DLL which is about 4Mb
> in size [...]

Actually, it is smaller if you remove debugging information

···@mpq3p32:~/lib/ecl$ strip libecl.so
···@mpq3p32:~/lib/ecl$ ls -l libecl.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jlr jlr 1177408 2005-11-11 10:59 libecl.so

Similar on Windows.

And if you want to deliver an application you can affort removing
certain components, such as LOOP macro, the bigger versions of the
FORMAT/PPRINT routines, the toplevel command processor, etc. I t then
gets even smaller. Indeed ECL is being used in some memory constraint
environments, as embedded lisp, with some work on the company to strip
unused functionality.

Juanjo
From: olczyk
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:47:52 -0800, Zach wrote:

> Are there any freely available Lisp implementations that run on MS
> Windows (98 specifically)?
>
> I have GNU Emacs running in Windows. I would like to set it up such
> that when I open a lisp file in Emacs it and tell it to compile it will
> invoke the Lisp compiler. Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Zach
I remember Carl Shapiro saying that he had a nearly
finished version of CMUCL available for Windows, but he needed to put the
final polish on it and he was busy with a conference. He said after the
conference he would release it Real Soon Now. That was six months ago.
I gave up on waiting.
From: ·········@gmail.com
From: Rob Warnock
Referring to Carl Shapiro's work-in-progress port of CMUCL to MSWindows,
<·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| It was just a joke, to promote the conference.
+---------------

Hardly a joke. My understanding was that it really did "mostly work",
except for a few nasty little bugs in the corner cases of asynchronous
interrupts [a.k.a. signals].

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: olczyk
On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 04:33:27 -0600, Rob Warnock wrote:

> Referring to Carl Shapiro's work-in-progress port of CMUCL to MSWindows,
> <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> +---------------
> | It was just a joke, to promote the conference.
> +---------------
>
> Hardly a joke. My understanding was that it really did "mostly work",
> except for a few nasty little bugs in the corner cases of asynchronous
> interrupts [a.k.a. signals].
>

> -Rob
>
> -----
> Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
> 627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
> San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
I took it seriously since it was mentioned on  lemonodor about six months
earlier. Guess you just can't trust lemonodor or Carl Shapiro.
From: Geoffrey King
Zach wrote:
> Are there any freely available Lisp implementations that run on MS
> Windows (98 specifically)?
>
> I have GNU Emacs running in Windows. I would like to set it up such
> that when I open a lisp file in Emacs it and tell it to compile it will
> invoke the Lisp compiler. Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Zach

 From a personal perspective - I am learning lisp and used clisp/slime
for a while and found it way too painful. Now i am using lispworks, and
am much happier (naturally i have a few complaints).