From: ············@gmail.com
Subject: Is emacs *the* editor for lisp?
Is emacs *the* editor for lisp?

From: Pisin Bootvong
Subject: Re: Is emacs *the* editor for lisp?
············@gmail.com wrote:
> Is emacs *the* editor for lisp?

With SLIME, I would say so.
From: bradb
Sadly, it appears so :)
Though it it possible to use VIM with Larry Clapp's LispVIM plugins to
have an OK editing environment.  This is what I use for my simple
projects.  Of course, you can't use SLIME.
So, although it is possible you end up with a very bare development
environment - personally I don't mind this overly much as I generally
use GDB and VIM for my C code, which is also quite bare.

Brad
From: Thomas Schilling
From: Espen Vestre
Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> writes:

> It's EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs").

There used to be a FINE editor as well :-)
--
  (espen)
From: Tord Kallqvist Romstad
Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> > Yes.  The other editors for lisp are: Eins, Zwei, Drei, Hemlock,
>                                         ^^^^
> It's EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs"). I haven't heard DREI, though.

I recall reading about "TRES" ("TRES Replaces Eine's Successor").  I
guess that is what Pascal was thinking about.

--
Tord Romstad
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Thomas Schilling <······@yahoo.de>:

| Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
|> Yes.  The other editors for lisp are: Eins, Zwei, Drei, Hemlock,
|                                         ^^^^
| It's EINE ("EINE Is Not Emacs"). I haven't heard DREI, though.

DREI Resembles Emacs Intentionally.

(Before DREI, there was ZWEI Was Eine Initially.)

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:15:14 +0100, Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> Yes.  The other editors for lisp are: Eins, Zwei, Drei, Hemlock,
> PortableHemlock, and Climacs.  For scheme, there's also edwin.

LispWorks' editor is another Hemlock descendant.  There's also Fred
(MCL) and Zmacs.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Robert Uhl
Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:

> But the editor that's the more used nowadays is emacs.  Let's hope in
> one or two years climacs will start to win points over emacs for CL
> hacking.

I don't know about that--they specifically want to avoid the
extensibility which has given emacs gnus.  Also, I don't think it'd run
in TUI mode...

The bullets are just his way of saying `Keep it down, I've got a
hangover.'                                 --Kiki to Dr. Schlock
From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:42:23 +0100, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

> Pascal Bourguignon <····@mouse-potato.com> writes:
>>
>> But the editor that's the more used nowadays is emacs.  Let's hope in
>> one or two years climacs will start to win points over emacs for CL
>> hacking.
>
> I don't know about that--they specifically want to avoid the
> extensibility which has given emacs gnus.  Also, I don't think it'd run
> in TUI mode...

News, TUI mode (was that for GDB or something)..
For a moment there I thought he needed a Lisp editor :)

From: Robert Uhl
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

>>> But the editor that's the more used nowadays is emacs.  Let's hope
>>> in one or two years climacs will start to win points over emacs for
>>> CL hacking.
>>
>> I don't know about that--they specifically want to avoid the
>> extensibility which has given emacs gnus.  Also, I don't think it'd
>> run in TUI mode...
>>

> News, TUI mode (was that for GDB or something)..
> For a moment there I thought he needed a Lisp editor :)

Well, I code Lisp over a text-only line quite a bit (SSH), so a TUI is a
must.

As for news, web browsing and so forth: once one has learnt a particular
editor, its keystrokes, features and libraries, why would one want to
use anything else?

And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing
what the dictionary says it means, you go to jail.  No exceptions.
                                                    --David Jones
From: Emre Sevinc

    casioculture> Is emacs *the* editor for lisp?

As far as I'm concerned, yes, Emacs is *THE* editor for Lisp programming.

Happy hacking,

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr