From: jonathon
Subject: Verrazano versus alien-interface
I'm currently using SBCL and I love it.  I've done some experimental
calls of C libraries with alien-interface.

What would be the big differences between using alien-interface
(specific to SBCL?) and Verrazano (a bridge near Kenny and I) for a
project that would be developed on FreeBSD but also deployed on Windows
(implementation undecided)?
From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Verrazano versus alien-interface
jonathon wrote:

> I'm currently using SBCL and I love it.  I've done some experimental
> calls of C libraries with alien-interface.
>
> What would be the big differences between using alien-interface
> (specific to SBCL?) and Verrazano (a bridge near Kenny and I) for a
> project that would be developed on FreeBSD but also deployed on Windows
> (implementation undecided)?

If you use vzn/cffi, you only need to switch to a win32 lisp supported
by cffi.

If you go native on the FFI, you only need to reinvent cffi (for only
two Lisps, so that is not at all as bad as reinventing cffi altogether).
Of course, if something forces you to change Lisps midstream, you do a
little more cffi reinvention.

--
Kenny

Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL_Highlight_Film

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state
I finally won out over it."
     Elwood P. Dowd, "Harvey", 1950