From: Cruise Director
Subject: Re: CL Insight...
J.C. Roberts (NO_SPAM) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm fairly new to Common Lisp and just started learning it this
> summer. Since I've worked in lisp based variants for years (Cadence
> SKILL, Autodesk AutoLisp, and others...) as well as countless other
> languages, learning CL is not like landing on an alien planet.

JCR, on Google Groups your posts say "the author doesn't want them
archived."  Yet this kind of post is rather useful to posterity.
Newbies do search archives for answers and you certainly won't be the
only one henceforth.  Is keeping your post out of the archives really
your intent?

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
From: J.C. Roberts
On 4 Nov 2005 15:00:57 -0800, "Cruise Director"
<···········@gmail.com> wrote:

>J.C. Roberts (NO_SPAM) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to Common Lisp and just started learning it this
>> summer. Since I've worked in lisp based variants for years (Cadence
>> SKILL, Autodesk AutoLisp, and others...) as well as countless other
>> languages, learning CL is not like landing on an alien planet.
>
>JCR, on Google Groups your posts say "the author doesn't want them
>archived."  Yet this kind of post is rather useful to posterity.
>Newbies do search archives for answers and you certainly won't be the
>only one henceforth.  Is keeping your post out of the archives really
>your intent?
>
>Cheers,
>Brandon Van Every

I never really thought about it as posterity. Though I guess the first
public ramblings about a new project may, in time, and with effort,
end up being something worth preserving.

Subscribing to comp.lang.lisp earlier this week is actually the first
time I've touched usenet since 1998. As a matter of habit, turn on the
X-No-Archive bit for all usenet and public mail lists.

I just changed my settings for posting to this group to allow
archiving, although if someone has X-No-Archive set on their posts,
I'll honor their intent and keep the bit set in my replies.

I'm still a bit upset with myself for starting yet another pointless
license debate on a public list. I know better. Such questions and
ideas are best left as private discussions with the authors.

JCR