From: John Thingstad
Subject: Re: Why do Python, Java and Perl have so many libraries and CL does not?
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:38:09 +0100, Nikhil Ketkar <············@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why do Python, Java and Perl have so many libraries and CL does not? Is
> it that they are enough and more of libraries but there but not found
> easily like Python, Perl and Java because they are spread out?  Is the
> lack of popularity of CL to blame and people are not writing and using
> new libraries? Is it the lack of usage by  industry leaders like Sun
> and Google? (Google is big on Python) Is it the lack of glue (like a
> foreign fuction interface) which allows the reuse of libraries in other
> languages like Python?

The number of libraries that come with the free versions of CL are
fairly minimal. The commercial like LispWorks are better, ACL is better
still. All Lisp's have a (implementation spesific) foreign function
interface.
There is a attemt to make more portable libraries
(based on the UFFI - Universal Foreign Function Interface).
cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
(cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)
Nevertheless you might want to look at foil which gives access to Java and
.net
libraries at http://foil.sourceforge.net/
Unlike Perl, Java and Python there is no single implementation of CL which
is standard.
So you would probaly want to choose a implementation and stick with it.

From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:35:27 +0100, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> wrote:

> cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
> (cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)

cl-html is a must?  Where can I get it?  Google and CLiki (which I
assume you mean when you say "cl-wiki") don't know anything about it.

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: John Thingstad
On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:00:47 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:35:27 +0100, "John Thingstad"
> <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>
>> cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
>> (cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)
>
> cl-html is a must?  Where can I get it?  Google and CLiki (which I
> assume you mean when you say "cl-wiki") don't know anything about it.
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.

Oops.. cl-wiki is the wiki engine for CL available at
http://www.cliki.net/web
cl-html I shamessly extrated (and renamed) from Peters Seibels book
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ not cliki.

From: Peter Seibel
"John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> writes:

> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 13:00:47 +0100, Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:35:27 +0100, "John Thingstad"
>> <··············@chello.no> wrote:
>>
>>> cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
>>> (cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)
>>
>> cl-html is a must?  Where can I get it?  Google and CLiki (which I
>> assume you mean when you say "cl-wiki") don't know anything about it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Edi.
>>

> Oops.. cl-wiki is the wiki engine for CL available at
> http://www.cliki.net/web
> cl-html I shamessly extrated (and renamed) from Peters Seibels book
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ not cliki.

Also recently packaged up and made available under the original name
(FOO -- FOO Outputs Output) at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lisp/foo-0.3.tar.gz>

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Stefan Scholl
On 2005-11-02 12:35:27, John Thingstad wrote:

> cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
> (cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)

CL-WIKI _uses_ CL-PPCRE but none of the other libraries you mention.
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:30:48 +0100, Stefan Scholl <······@no-spoon.de>
wrote:

> On 2005-11-02 12:35:27, John Thingstad wrote:
>
>> cl-wiki has a collection of libraries, some are quite good..
>> (cl-ppcre, cl-html, cl-pdf, cl-sql are a must)
>
> CL-WIKI _uses_ CL-PPCRE but none of the other libraries you mention.

www.cliki.net..

It does when I query it!
Except for cl-html.. look for earlier post by Edi Weitz.