From: Jamie Border
Subject: Lisp hosting?
Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon Web, I'm
thinking that maybe I could do something better with my domain than point it
at a PHP-enabled server.

I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.

I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and stuck with
a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.

Jamie

From: Pupeno
Subject: Re: Lisp hosting?
From: theo doukas
Jamie Border wrote:
> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon Web, I'm
> thinking that maybe I could do something better with my domain than point it
> at a PHP-enabled server.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
> will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.
>
> I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and stuck with
> a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.
>
> Jamie

What you can do is skip the mod_lisp unless you have a dedicated server
and switch to a lisp that has a small memory footprint (such as CLISP)
and run is as CGI. It works for me.
From: Christopher Browne
Clinging to sanity, theo doukas <······@gegentakt.com> mumbled into her beard:
> Jamie Border wrote:
>> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon
>> Web, I'm thinking that maybe I could do something better with my
>> domain than point it at a PHP-enabled server.
>> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web
>> hosting that will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through
>> mod_lisp.
>> I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and
>> stuck with a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.

> What you can do is skip the mod_lisp unless you have a dedicated
> server and switch to a lisp that has a small memory footprint (such
> as CLISP) and run is as CGI. It works for me.

Open question, there...

What bits of CLISP can you not bother having around without trouble?

My packaged install (debian) includes various "image" things that may
or may not be needed, e.g.:

- UnicodeDataFull.txt (1.3MB)
- numerous clisp.mo/clisplow.mo (150K/17K) for different locales
- lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
- lisp.run (1.6MB)
- a number of .o files

The whole package is ~11MB; the question is of how small it can be
trimmed to...
--
(format nil ···@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Christopher Browne <········@acm.org> writes:
> What bits of CLISP can you not bother having around without trouble?
>
> My packaged install (debian) includes various "image" things that may
> or may not be needed, e.g.:
>
> - UnicodeDataFull.txt (1.3MB)
> - numerous clisp.mo/clisplow.mo (150K/17K) for different locales
> - lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
> - lisp.run (1.6MB)
> - a number of .o files
>
> The whole package is ~11MB; the question is of how small it can be
> trimmed to...

You only need these two:

 - lispinit.mem (1.9MB)
 - lisp.run (1.6MB)

Actually, instead of lispinit.mem, you'd use your own image.

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay
From: Pascal Bourguignon
theo doukas <······@gegentakt.com> writes:

> Jamie Border wrote:
>> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon
>> Web, I'm thinking that maybe I could do something better with my
>> domain than point it at a PHP-enabled server.
>> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web
>> hosting that will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through
>> mod_lisp.
>> I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and
>> stuck with a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.
>> Jamie
>>

> What you can do is skip the mod_lisp unless you have a dedicated
> server and switch to a lisp that has a small memory footprint (such as
> CLISP) and run is as CGI. It works for me.

If you want to avoid apache, I'd advise UCW on Araneida on clisp.
But forget about CGI when you can have UCW!

From: Larry Clapp
In article <············@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com>, Jamie Border wrote:
> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon
> Web, I'm thinking that maybe I could do something better with my
> domain than point it at a PHP-enabled server.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web
> hosting that will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through
> mod_lisp.

I like (and use) bytemark.co.uk.  User Mode Linux.  Enough memory in
the lowest tier product (15 GBP/mo) to run Apache and CMUCL.  I
haven't stress tested it, but the basic setup works.  YMMV, of course.

-- Larry Clapp
From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
Jamie Border schrieb:
> Now that I've managed to build some useful Lisp stuff with UnCommon Web, I'm
> thinking that maybe I could do something better with my domain than point it
> at a PHP-enabled server.
>
> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
> will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.
>
> I lack the connectivity to do this myself, as I am in the UK and stuck with
> a DSL connection that is down as often as it is up.

Get a root server.
In germany that costs around 30 Euro per month. You will get a debian
box that will run only for you on a 100 mbit line and you are the root
and you can install whatever you want.

Andr�
From: Paolo Amoroso
"Jamie Border" <·····@jborder.com> writes:

> I'm wondering if anybody here has any info/experience with Web hosting that
> will let me run a Lisp image talking to Apache through mod_lisp.

http://lisp.tech.coop/Lisp-friendly%20Web%20Hosting

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface