From: rriggs
Subject: Any Pointers?
Hello,

I use a form of the LISP language with a program called AutoCAD.
I know this language was adopted by the makers of AutoCAD to allow
customization to its operations.
I've used it for quite a few years now, and I like the way that it
functions.
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to start using this language
outside of a program like AutoCAD and explain a little bit about how it
is used as a stand alone language(are the any API's that completly rely
on LISP? & can you create and control things like WIN32 objects, or
stuff like that?).

Thanks,
R. Riggs

From: vedm
Subject: Re: Any Pointers?
"rriggs" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use a form of the LISP language with a program called AutoCAD.
> I know this language was adopted by the makers of AutoCAD to allow
> customization to its operations.
> I've used it for quite a few years now, and I like the way that it
> functions.
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how to start using this language
> outside of a program like AutoCAD and explain a little bit about how it
> is used as a stand alone language(are the any API's that completly rely
> on LISP? & can you create and control things like WIN32 objects, or
> stuff like that?).

Start here:

www.cliki.net

Click on "Education", then "Online Tutorials"

--
vedm
From: Kenny Tilton
rriggs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use a form of the LISP language with a program called AutoCAD.
> I know this language was adopted by the makers of AutoCAD to allow
> customization to its operations.
> I've used it for quite a few years now, and I like the way that it
> functions.
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how to start using this language
> outside of a program like AutoCAD and explain a little bit about how it
> is used as a stand alone language(are the any API's that completly rely
> on LISP?

Do you mean a ground-up library of Lisp code that never uses a C
library? Possibly. But a lot of Lisp libraries let some C library handle
certain dirty work. No need to reinvent wheels since CL implementations
all offer some foreign (uh, "C") function interface. They differ, but
there is a UFFI project which attempts to present a semi-universal API
for FFI itself.

> & can you create and control things like WIN32 objects, or
> stuff like that?).

Yes. CL is at one level just another programming language. You can do
GUIs and read databases and talk over sockets and serve web pages etc
etc. It just happens to be vastly better than other languages at letting
one build the application that does all those mundane things.

kenny

--
Cells? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cello? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cello/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Pascal Costanza
rriggs wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use a form of the LISP language with a program called AutoCAD.
> I know this language was adopted by the makers of AutoCAD to allow
> customization to its operations.
> I've used it for quite a few years now, and I like the way that it
> functions.
> Does anybody have any suggestions on how to start using this language
> outside of a program like AutoCAD and explain a little bit about how it
> is used as a stand alone language(are the any API's that completly rely
> on LISP? & can you create and control things like WIN32 objects, or
> stuff like that?).

Switch to Common Lisp.

See http://lisp.tech.coop/implementation and http://gigamonkeys.com/book/

Pascal

--
2nd European Lisp and Scheme Workshop
July 26 - Glasgow, Scotland - co-located with ECOOP 2005
From: rriggs
Thanks for all of the input.
I appreciate the help.