From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: win32 Lisp cannot load Gtk DLLs when C can?
Trying to test the latest Cells-gtk release (no longer being a
maintainer, but pitching in to test the win32 side).

I had loaded GTk successfully in the past, but now it fails. Go figger,
hey, this is Windows. Installed latest/greatest GIMP/Gtk. Gimp the
application runs fine. Both AllegroCL7 and LW Trial fail the same way:

libgobject load fails when unable to resolve
libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset in intl.dll. That label shows up as
extant and dll-exported in libintl.h (cursory examination, nothing deep
such as checking a link map to confirm the symbol is out there).

Any thoughts? Even on simply if CL might somehow fail on a faulty build
where a C app might not? ie, is it doing more poking around to get
things into Lisp-land?

kt

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: win32 Lisp cannot load Gtk DLLs when C can?
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> libgobject load fails when unable to resolve
> libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset in intl.dll. That label shows up as
> extant and dll-exported in libintl.h (cursory examination, nothing deep
> such as checking a link map to confirm the symbol is out there).
>
> Any thoughts? Even on simply if CL might somehow fail on a faulty build
> where a C app might not? ie, is it doing more poking around to get
> things into Lisp-land?

Not to flog the obvious too much, but ...

libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset has probably disappered in the newest
version.  The entry in the .h is probably now a vestigal organ.  Since
it is open source, look in the source files for it, you know, grep ... *.c
or whatever. (or like you said, check the symbol listing for the dll).

Wade
From: Kenny Tilton
Wade Humeniuk wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> libgobject load fails when unable to resolve
>> libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset in intl.dll. That label shows up as
>> extant and dll-exported in libintl.h (cursory examination, nothing
>> deep such as checking a link map to confirm the symbol is out there).
>>
>> Any thoughts? Even on simply if CL might somehow fail on a faulty
>> build where a C app might not? ie, is it doing more poking around to
>> get things into Lisp-land?
>>

> Not to flog the obvious too much, but ...
>
> libintl_bind_textdomain_codeset has probably disappered in the newest
> version.  The entry in the .h is probably now a vestigal organ.  Since
> it is open source, look in the source files for it, you know, grep ... *.c
> or whatever. (or like you said, check the symbol listing for the dll).

Okaaaaay, but I might have made clearer that the error arises on the
load of the gobj lib. Makes me wonder how the two implementations end up
going after the libintl call. makes me think they are sweeping some
symbol table resolving references. I would suspect the win32 loader was
doing this (esp. since two Lisps fail the same way), but the Gimp itself
runs fine.

Anyway, it is a good idea to check /all/ the source. Thx, kenny

--
Cells? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cello? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cello/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Wade Humeniuk
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Okaaaaay, but I might have made clearer that the error arises on the
> load of the gobj lib. Makes me wonder how the two implementations end up
> going after the libintl call. makes me think they are sweeping some
> symbol table resolving references. I would suspect the win32 loader was
> doing this (esp. since two Lisps fail the same way), but the Gimp itself
> runs fine.

You mentioned that you installed the most recent version of GTK.  Did
you have an older version installed before?  Maybe you have an old
version of intl.dll hanging around mucking things up.  Maybe the
Gimp has the appropriate dll's in the same directory, but with
the Lisps may be picking up an old intl.dll (say from c:\windows\system32?)

Wade

From: Kenny Tilton
Wade Humeniuk wrote:
> Kenny Tilton wrote:
>
>> Okaaaaay, but I might have made clearer that the error arises on the
>> load of the gobj lib. Makes me wonder how the two implementations end
>> up going after the libintl call. makes me think they are sweeping some
>> symbol table resolving references. I would suspect the win32 loader
>> was doing this (esp. since two Lisps fail the same way), but the Gimp
>> itself runs fine.
>>

> You mentioned that you installed the most recent version of GTK.  Did
> you have an older version installed before?  Maybe you have an old
> version of intl.dll hanging around mucking things up.  Maybe the
> Gimp has the appropriate dll's in the same directory, but with
> the Lisps may be picking up an old intl.dll (say from c:\windows\system32?)

Thx, yes, that is the first thing I checked. The GTK installer finds the
old version and uninstalls/installs. I also searched the whole HD for
libs to be sure.

btw, it cannot just be the header with a vestigial reference, unless the
Lisp loader is reading the .h file. have not gotten to the full source
check yet.

kt
From: Wade Humeniuk
Just so you know, I downloaded and tried the latest version.
Everything works fine, LWW 4.3.7 Windows 2000

GTK 2.6.7   http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html (Note of problem with
previous 2.6.7 installer)

Gimp 2.2.7   ( Same URL)

cell-gtk-2005-05-29.tgz   http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/#download

CL-USER 4 > (pprint hello-c::*loaded-libraries*)

("C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll"
  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll"
  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgthread-2.0-0.dll"
  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libglib-2.0-0.dll"
  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgobject-2.0-0.dll")

CL-USER 5 >

Cygwin's nm does not show any symbols in intl.dll.

····@alpha /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin
$ nm intl.dll
nm: intl.dll: no symbols

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Wade
From: Kenny Tilton
Wade Humeniuk wrote:

> Just so you know, I downloaded and tried the latest version.
> Everything works fine, LWW 4.3.7 Windows 2000
>
> GTK 2.6.7   http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html (Note of problem
> with
> previous 2.6.7 installer)
>
> Gimp 2.2.7   ( Same URL)
>
> cell-gtk-2005-05-29.tgz
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/#download
>
> CL-USER 4 > (pprint hello-c::*loaded-libraries*)
>
> ("C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll"
>  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll"
>  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgthread-2.0-0.dll"
>  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libglib-2.0-0.dll"
>  "C:/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin/libgobject-2.0-0.dll")
>
> CL-USER 5 >
>
> Cygwin's nm does not show any symbols in intl.dll.
>
> ····@alpha /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/GTK/2.0/bin
> $ nm intl.dll
> nm: intl.dll: no symbols
>
> Sorry I cannot be of more help.

heh-heh, a negative result is great help. thx, kenny