From: Tiarnán Ó Corráin
Subject: Lisp geographic software
Hi--

I'm interested in using Lisp for some geographical/cartographical
work, specifically to do with mapping and using co-ordinate systems in
different cartographical projections. The maps will be used to display
geographically specific statistical data.

Is there any body of code that deals with this available for public
browsing?

--
Tiarn�n

From: Christopher C. Stacy
Subject: Re: Lisp geographic software
From: Tiarnán Ó Corráin
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> There has been a lot of GIS software written in Lisp over
> the years, but I don't know of any that is not proprietary.

A modified question: are there any public implementations of
cartographic projections (e.g. Mercator, Peters) in lisp that would be
accessible?

--
Tiarn�n
From: GP lisper
On Mon, 30 May 2005 21:38:58 +0100, <········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> A modified question: are there any public implementations of
> cartographic projections (e.g. Mercator, Peters) in lisp that would be
> accessible?

The Mercator projection is rather simple, something with atan if I
recall correctly from years ago (WikiPedia probably has the exact
form).  When I needed some global plotting of an interesting dataset,
I just took a world map, taped it to a photocopy machine and made a
bunch of identical maps to paperfeed a pen plotter.  A little test
routine gave me plotter coordinates to map references, then I added
the simple Mercator projection and plotted a dozen copies of my
dataset.  You can probably use some CIA world data gif file as a
background to overplot nowdays, with one of the graphics packages that
will plot a symbol at an x-y screen coordinate.

Any other map projection is simple, I think you are looking for more
than merely a projection definition.

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly fine.
From: David Trudgett
········@yahoo.com (Tiarn�n � Corr�in) writes:

> Hi--
>
> I'm interested in using Lisp for some geographical/cartographical
> work, specifically to do with mapping and using co-ordinate systems in
> different cartographical projections. The maps will be used to display
> geographically specific statistical data.
>
> Is there any body of code that deals with this available for public
> browsing?

I've also looked, but without any success. If you find anything,
perhaps you could post to this list? I'm interested in the same thing
right now. I'm currently studying GIS, and getting into the
programming side would be interesting. Using Lisp to do it would be
even more interesting.

Thanks.

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

No one is given a map to their dreams
All we can do is to trace it.
See where we go to, know where we've been
Build up the courage to face it.

    -- Sandy Denny

From: Debian User
On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:38:57 +0100, Tiarn�n � Corr�in
<········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi--
>
> I'm interested in using Lisp for some geographical/cartographical
> work, specifically to do with mapping and using co-ordinate systems in
> different cartographical projections. The maps will be used to display
> geographically specific statistical data.
>
> Is there any body of code that deals with this available for public
> browsing?

Have a look at xlispstat code written by Chris Brunsdon.  It is called
LiveMap and documented in a few papers.

Also D. Josselin has written aprege, a xlispstat module for spatial
data exploration.

The above codes allow mapping and statistical analysis, but are, as
far as I know, not about co-ordinate systems and projections.

succes,
From: Mike Thomas
Hi Tiarn�n.

> I'm interested in using Lisp for some geographical/cartographical
> work, specifically to do with mapping and using co-ordinate systems in
> different cartographical projections. The maps will be used to display
> geographically specific statistical data.
>
> Is there any body of code that deals with this available for public
> browsing?

Unless you have a purely educational motive, rather than write your own
projections in Lisp, I would strongly recommend binding to the PROJ4 C
library at remotesensing.org using your favourite FFI.

Map projections and datum transformations are particularly difficult to get
right due to the large number of options and issues such as, just for
example, some examples being set by legislation to vary (for purely
practical reasons) from the most accurate published mathematical derivations
with you needing to be totally up on all of the relevant literature.  To
test and develop a comprehensive library takes years of effort.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.