From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: open source e-commerce
Does the Lisp universe have any open source projects that are greatly
suitable to e-commerce?  Like, possibly, Lisp's answer to Python's Zope
or Plone.  This would be for a subscription based web service, i.e.
people would sign up and pay by the month.  I don't want to talk in any
greater detail about the project than that.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: open source e-commerce
"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····················@mycompanyname.com> writes:

> Does the Lisp universe have any open source projects that are greatly
> suitable to e-commerce?  Like, possibly, Lisp's answer to Python's
> Zope or Plone.  This would be for a subscription based web service,
> i.e. people would sign up and pay by the month.  I don't want to talk
> in any greater detail about the project than that.

Have a look at Uncommon Web http://www.cliki.net/ucw

The world will now reboot.  don't bother saving your artefacts.
From: Brandon J. Van Every
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····················@mycompanyname.com> writes:
>

>>Does the Lisp universe have any open source projects that are greatly
>>suitable to e-commerce?  Like, possibly, Lisp's answer to Python's
>>Zope or Plone.  This would be for a subscription based web service,
>>i.e. people would sign up and pay by the month.  I don't want to talk
>>in any greater detail about the project than that.
>>

>Have a look at Uncommon Web http://www.cliki.net/ucw

They had a nicely laid out document with some FAQ questions.  Among them:

    1.2 What is UCW not?

UCW deals with managing user interaction via HTTP and nothing more, no
database layer, no user authentication or security nor any content
management systems. This is an intentional design choice: there is no
way UCW could provide a single implementation of these features which
would well in every setup, so instead of trying to be everything for
everyone UCW will limit itself to help developers deal with interacting
via HTTP.

I think this pretty much means it's not taking e-commerce into
consideration.  Rather, it could be 1 piece of a larger puzzle.  Looking
around at the other language newsgroups about this subject, the puzzle
does indeed have several parts.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····················@mycompanyname.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>
>>"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····················@mycompanyname.com> writes:
>>

>>>Does the Lisp universe have any open source projects that are greatly
>>>suitable to e-commerce?  Like, possibly, Lisp's answer to Python's
>>>Zope or Plone.  This would be for a subscription based web service,
>>>i.e. people would sign up and pay by the month.  I don't want to talk
>>>in any greater detail about the project than that.
>>>

>>Have a look at Uncommon Web http://www.cliki.net/ucw
>>

> They had a nicely laid out document with some FAQ questions.  Among them:
>

>     1.2 What is UCW not?
>
> UCW deals with managing user interaction via HTTP and nothing more, no
> database layer, no user authentication or security nor any content
> management systems. This is an intentional design choice: there is no
> way UCW could provide a single implementation of these features which
> would well in every setup, so instead of trying to be everything for
> everyone UCW will limit itself to help developers deal with
> interacting via HTTP.
>

> I think this pretty much means it's not taking e-commerce into
> consideration.  Rather, it could be 1 piece of a larger puzzle.
> Looking around at the other language newsgroups about this subject,
> the puzzle does indeed have several parts.

http://www.zope.org/WhatIsZope

    What is Zope?

    Zope is an open source web application server primarily written in
    the Python programming language. It features a transactional
    object database which can store not only content and custom data,
    but also dynamic HTML templates, scripts, a search engine, and
    relational database (RDBMS) connections and code. It features a
    strong through-the-web development model, allowing you to update
    your web site from anywhere in the world. To allow for this, Zope
    also features a tightly integrated security model. Built around
    the concept of "safe delegation of control", Zope's security
    architecture also allows you to turn control over parts of a web
    site to other organizations or individuals. The transactional
    model applies not only to Zope's object database, but to many
    relational database connectors as well, allowing for strong data
    integrity. This transaction model happens automatically, ensuring
    that all data is successfully stored in connected data sources by
    the time a response is returned to a web browser or other client.

So clearly, Zope is nothing more than UCW.  If you want something like
Zope in Common-Lisp, once again have a strong look at UCW.

Next paragraph about Zope is not about Zope, but about third-party modules:

    There are numerous products (plug-in Zope components) available
    for download to extend the basic set of site building tools. These
    products include new content objects; relational database and
    other external data source connectors; advanced content management
    tools; and full applications for e-commerce, content and document
    management, or bug and issue tracking. Zope includes its own HTTP,
    FTP, WebDAV, and XML-RPC serving capabilities, but can also be
    used with the Apache or other web servers.

Please, write a full e-commerce application for UCW and make it
available for download too!

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Brandon J. Van Every
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>Next paragraph about Zope is not about Zope, but about third-party modules:
>
>    There are numerous products (plug-in Zope components) available
>    for download to extend the basic set of site building tools. These
>    products include new content objects; relational database and
>    other external data source connectors; advanced content management
>    tools; and full applications for e-commerce, content and document
>    management, or bug and issue tracking. Zope includes its own HTTP,
>    FTP, WebDAV, and XML-RPC serving capabilities, but can also be
>    used with the Apache or other web servers.
>
>Please, write a full e-commerce application for UCW and make it
>available for download too!

Well, this particular project is about money and getting it done now,
not gratuitous R&D (like my game stuff).  I'm just trying to figure out
the merits of Lisp-as-language, vs. demerits of
Lisp-as-libraries-and-tools-platform.  I'm leaning very strongly towards
Eclipse-centric development, as this is the best open source project
I've seen.  That would mean most stuff done in Java.  There are big
stacks of open source stuff for Java, many related to e-commerce if not
exactly so.  Things that integrate straight into the Eclipse IDE.  For
instance see www.jboss.org  Anyways, I'm wondering if there are Lisp -->
JVM things that would be helpful for certain parts of the puzzle.  I'm
familiar with Scheme --> JVM things, for instance Bigloo Scheme and Kawa
Scheme, but I don't know that I trust the former for prime time, and I'm
not experienced in the latter.  The Schemeway Eclipse plugin author is
deeply into Kawa Scheme, however.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····················@mycompanyname.com> writes:
> Anyways, I'm wondering
> if there are Lisp -->
> JVM things that would be helpful for certain parts of the puzzle.

And now for something completely different, there are several
lisp->java thingies.  ABCL (Armed Bear CL) is an implementation of CL
written in Java.

Sava is a package to write java as sexps (so you can use the macro
machinery of CL to help you generate java). Contact Tomek Lipski for
more information:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/messages/b8c4137c55d4b9a4,95ca5289be280455,62155342a529e9ac,83be4eea610dc5dd,103d5484956ab3e2,f2a59bd391491854,9c8927d7bd909ce2,df463b8abafdcda9,976e1bcfdada3cb8,158705c003ccf037?hl=en&thread_id=7c435cb7f0943474&mode=thread&noheader=1&q=sava+java&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.lisp%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F7c435cb7f0943474%2Fdf463b8abafdcda9%3Fq%3Dsava+java%26rnum%3D3%26hl%3Den%26#doc_95ca5289be280455

See also Stella:  http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/Stella/index.html

Kitty like plastic.
Confuses for litter box.
Don't leave tarp around.
From: ··········@gmail.com
From: Frank Buss
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>> UCW deals with managing user interaction via HTTP and nothing more, no
>> database layer, no user authentication or security nor any content
>> management systems.

>     What is Zope?
>
>     Zope is an open source web application server primarily written in
>     the Python programming language. It features a transactional
>     object database which can store not only content and custom data,
>     but also dynamic HTML templates, scripts, a search engine, and
>     relational database (RDBMS) connections and code. It features a
>     strong through-the-web development model, allowing you to update
>     your web site from anywhere in the world. To allow for this, Zope
>     also features a tightly integrated security model.

> So clearly, Zope is nothing more than UCW.  If you want something like
> Zope in Common-Lisp, once again have a strong look at UCW.

Zope is much more than UCW. UCW has no database, Zope has an object
oriented database integrated. UCW provides no security, user managment and
content managment system, Zope does. I've used Zope some time ago: You can
add Python scripts at runtime, which are stored in the integrated database
and executed by URL path or it can be instatiated as a "product" for other
objects and it provides a nice management interface for changing the
content in the database (everything is stored as an object, accessed by an
URL), version management (every change to an object creates a new version
for this object, but you can restore old versions), managing users and user
roles etc.

Would be nice to rewrite Zope in Lisp, because the Python code of Zope is
sometimes chaotic, but writing an e-commerce application with UCW would be
much more work than writing it with Zope.

--
Frank Bu�, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Paul F. Dietz
Frank Buss wrote:

> Zope is much more than UCW. UCW has no database, Zope has an object
> oriented database integrated.

How about BKNR?

http://www.cliki.net/bknr

	Paul
From: Marco Baringer
"Paul F. Dietz" <·····@dls.net> writes:

> Frank Buss wrote:
>
>> Zope is much more than UCW. UCW has no database, Zope has an object
>> oriented database integrated.
>
> How about BKNR?
>
> http://www.cliki.net/bknr

or even better: use ucw along with bnkr's datastore (UnCommon
Baikonour :))

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Adrian Kubala
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> schrieb:
> So clearly, Zope is nothing more than UCW.

Is that sarcasm? Let me highlight a few phrases from the paragraphs you
quoted:

UCW: no database layer
Zope: a transactional object database ... many relational database
      connectors

UCW: no user authentication or security
Zope: a tightly integrated security model

UCW: nor any content management systems
Zope: database which can store content ... a strong through-the-web
      development model

Indeed, the entire Zope description you quoted may as well have been
dedicated to listing the ways that Zope is *much more* than UCW.