From: RC
Subject: Portable AllegroServe + Clisp
I'm trying to get portable aserve to work with Clisp
but I'm seeing the following problem:

$ clisp -K full

[1]> *features*
(:CLOS :LOOP :COMPILER :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP :LISP=CL :INTERPRETER
:SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-PATHNAMES
 :SCREEN :FFI :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :SYSCALLS :UNIX)

[2]> (load "INSTALL.lisp")
;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/asdf.lisp
;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/puri-1.3.1/puri.asd
.
.
.
;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/htmlgen/htmlgen.fas
;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/packages.fas
;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/macs.fas
Compiling file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl ...
*** - READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
#P"/home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl" @217>: there is no package
with name "UNIX"
The following restarts are available:
R1 = Retry performing #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on #.(FUNCALL #
<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>).
R2 = Continue, treating #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on #.(FUNCALL
#<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) as having been successful.

1. Break NET.ASERVE[3]>

I have tried 2 versions of Clisp:

$ /usr/local/clisp/bin/clisp --version -K full
GNU CLISP 2.33.2 (2004-06-02) (built 3326301126) (memory 3326302668)
Software: GNU C 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD] ANSI C program
Features:
(SYSCALLS CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL
INTERPRETER SOCKETS GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN
 FFI UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER UNIX)
Installation directory: /usr/local/clisp/lib/clisp/
User language: ENGLISH
Machine: I386 (I386) rc-fbsd [192.168.1.100]

and

$ clisp --version -K full
GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3326310440) (memory
3326311896)
Features:
(CLOS LOOP COMPILER CLISP ANSI-CL COMMON-LISP LISP=CL INTERPRETER SOCKETS
GENERIC-STREAMS LOGICAL-PATHNAMES SCREEN FFI
 UNICODE BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER SYSCALLS UNIX)

with the same result.

Operating system

$ uname -a
FreeBSD rc-fbsd 4.9-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: Mon Oct 27 17:51:09
GMT 2003     ····@freebsd-stable.sentex.ca:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
i386

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Subject: Re: Portable AllegroServe + Clisp
RC wrote:
> I'm trying to get portable aserve to work with Clisp
> but I'm seeing the following problem:

> $ clisp -K full
>
> [1]> *features*
> (:CLOS :LOOP :COMPILER :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP :LISP=CL :INTERPRETER
> :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-PATHNAMES
>  :SCREEN :FFI :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :SYSCALLS :UNIX)
>
> [2]> (load "INSTALL.lisp")
> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/asdf.lisp
> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/puri-1.3.1/puri.asd
> .
> .
> .
> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/htmlgen/htmlgen.fas
> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/packages.fas
> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/macs.fas
> Compiling file /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl ...
> *** - READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
> #P"/home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl" @217>: there is no package
> with name "UNIX"
> The following restarts are available:
> R1 = Retry performing #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on #.(FUNCALL #
> <COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>).
> R2 = Continue, treating #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on #.(FUNCALL
> #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) as having been successful.
>
> 1. Break NET.ASERVE[3]>

Hi,

I just got it to run this moment using SBCL/Linux, and the key was not
to use the normal Sourceforge download, but rather to get it from CVS:

cvs ····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve
login
cvs -z3
····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve co -P
portableaserve

Maybe also the following for good measure, though I doubt it's useful:
cvs -z3
····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve co -P
cl-ssl

Please get back to us on whether this works; I'm thinking of making a
little wiki page on "Practical Common Lisp Gotchas", since that book
refers to Portable Allegroserve...

Tayssir
From: RC
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> wrote in
·····························@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> RC wrote:
>> I'm trying to get portable aserve to work with Clisp
>> but I'm seeing the following problem:

>> $ clisp -K full
>>
>> [1]> *features*
>> (:CLOS :LOOP :COMPILER :CLISP :ANSI-CL :COMMON-LISP :LISP=CL
>> :INTERPRETER
>> :SOCKETS :GENERIC-STREAMS :LOGICAL-PATHNAMES
>>  :SCREEN :FFI :UNICODE :BASE-CHAR=CHARACTER :SYSCALLS :UNIX)
>>
>> [2]> (load "INSTALL.lisp")
>> ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/asdf.lisp
>> ... ;;  Loaded file /home/bsd/portableaserve/libs/puri-1.3.1/puri.asd
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> ... ;;  Loaded file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/htmlgen/htmlgen.fas ;;  Loading file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/packages.fas ... ;;  Loaded file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/packages.fas ;;  Loading file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/macs.fas ... ;;  Loaded file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/macs.fas Compiling file
>> /home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl ... *** - READ from #<INPUT
>> BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
>> #P"/home/bsd/portableaserve/aserve/main.cl" @217>: there is no
>> package with name "UNIX"
>> The following restarts are available:
>> R1 = Retry performing #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on
>> #.(FUNCALL # <COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>).
>> R2 = Continue, treating #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) on
>> #.(FUNCALL #<COMPILED-CLOSURE NIL>) as having been successful.
>>
>> 1. Break NET.ASERVE[3]>
>
> Hi,
>
> I just got it to run this moment using SBCL/Linux, and the key was not
> to use the normal Sourceforge download, but rather to get it from CVS:
>
> cvs ····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve
> login
> cvs -z3
> ····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve co -P
> portableaserve
>
> Maybe also the following for good measure, though I doubt it's useful:
> cvs -z3
> ····················@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/portableaserve co -P
> cl-ssl
>

> Please get back to us on whether this works; I'm thinking of making a
> little wiki page on "Practical Common Lisp Gotchas", since that book
> refers to Portable Allegroserve...
>

> Tayssir

I don't have SBCL installed at the moment but I did try it
with CMUCL 19a and it does work.  The only issue is to
(unlock-all-packages) before installing if you don't
want it to stop in the middle of the installation.

The problem with CLISP seems to be related to this
section in aserve/main.cl:

#+(and clisp unix)
(defun getpid () (unix:getpid))

There does not seem to be a getpid in my version of CLISP.
From: Joerg Hoehle
RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:
> The problem with CLISP seems to be related to this
> section in aserve/main.cl:
>
> #+(and clisp unix)
> (defun getpid () (unix:getpid))
>
> There does not seem to be a getpid in my version of CLISP.

>$ clisp --version -K full
>GNU CLISP 2.30 (released 2002-09-15) (built 3326310440) (memory
>$ /usr/local/clisp/bin/clisp --version -K full
>GNU CLISP 2.33.2 (2004-06-02) (built 3326301126) (memory 3326302668)

Please look up sys::program-id in your ancient clisp. It's getenv.
It's been there for some years (but depending on compilation options)
under UNIX.

With a clisp>March 2005, sys::process-id is there on both MS-Windows and UNIX.
Ir probably should be moved to the EXT package.

Regards,
	Jorg Hohle
Telekom/T-Systems Technology Center
From: RC
Joerg Hoehle <······@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in
··················@users.sourceforge.net:

> Please look up sys::program-id in your ancient clisp. It's getenv.
> It's been there for some years (but depending on compilation options)
> under UNIX.
>
> With a clisp>March 2005, sys::process-id is there on both MS-Windows
> and UNIX. Ir probably should be moved to the EXT package.
>
> Regards,
>      Jorg Hohle
> Telekom/T-Systems Technology Center

Yes, thank you.

I also found that if you build CLISP with

--with-module=bindings/glibc

then you get the function (unix:getpid) included
but it's only working under linux.  With Freebsd
you get errors about bits/errno.h not being found.

RC
From: Joerg Hoehle
RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:
> I also found that if you build CLISP with
> --with-module=bindings/glibc
> then you get the function (unix:getpid) included
> but it's only working under linux.  With Freebsd
> you get errors about bits/errno.h not being found.

Is FreeBSD a glibc based-system?
Could you please investigate where errno and its values are defined?
Is that the only part of linux.lisp that fails?

linux.lisp says
;; in GNU, errno is a per-thread variable, so def-c-var is not appropriate
;; (def-c-var errno (:type ffi:int))
;; link error: "undefined reference to `errno'"

What if you uncomment this alternate definition and remove the line
causing inclusion of <bits/errno.h> and the other errno symbol macro?
Does it load, does linux:errno work then?

Please report results to either ···········@lists.sourceforge.net or
···········@lists.sourceforge.net

From: Rob Warnock
Joerg Hoehle  <······@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
+---------------
| RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:
| > I also found that if you build CLISP with
| > --with-module=bindings/glibc
| > then you get the function (unix:getpid) included
| > but it's only working under linux.  With Freebsd
| > you get errors about bits/errno.h not being found.
|
| Is FreeBSD a glibc based-system?
+---------------

No, or at least not by default. The BSD libc predates glibc by some years.
There are versions of glibc used in the Linux compatibility libraries
[since FreeBSD supports running (most) precompiled  Linux applications],
and there may be some projects to get glibc on BSD "natively" [e.g., see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-January/019839.html
and http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-January/019844.html].

+---------------
| Could you please investigate where errno and its values are defined?
+---------------

On a stock FreeBSD-4.10 they're in "/usr/include/errno.h" [there
is no such file as <bits/errno.h>], and "errno" is defined as a
C macro that calls the procedure "__error()".  As it says in the
"errno(2)" man page:

    The __error() function returns a pointer to a field in the
    thread specific structure for threads other than the initial
    thread.  For the initial thread and non-threaded processes,
    __error() returns a pointer to a global errno variable that
    is compatible with the previous definition.

Does that help?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Peter Seibel
"Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Please get back to us on whether this works; I'm thinking of making a
> little wiki page on "Practical Common Lisp Gotchas", since that book
> refers to Portable Allegroserve...

That'd be excellent. I'm ashamed that I ran out of time to do proper
testing with Portable AllegroServe--I did use it early on with OpenMCL
on my Mac but didn't actually have time to circle around and retest
all the code from teh book on both normal AllegroServe and Portable
AllegroServe.

I'd also happily accept patches against the example code that can be
downloaded at:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz>
  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practicals-1.0.3.zip>

to make things run more smoothly on Portable AllegroServe.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Peter Seibel wrote:
> "Tayssir John Gabbour" <···········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Please get back to us on whether this works; I'm thinking of making a
> > little wiki page on "Practical Common Lisp Gotchas", since that book
> > refers to Portable Allegroserve...
>
> That'd be excellent. I'm ashamed that I ran out of time to do proper
> testing with Portable AllegroServe--I did use it early on with OpenMCL
> on my Mac but didn't actually have time to circle around and retest
> all the code from teh book on both normal AllegroServe and Portable
> AllegroServe.

After I posted that, I hoped it wouldn't be taken in a sad way. There
are so many testing scenarios when talking about CL: the curse of
choice.

Maybe people can complement your book with "current" info on helping
people to install stuff, and whatnot.

And the computing world always sweeps under the rug how hard installing
things can be, CL or no. The first time I tested out Installshield and
Wise...

Not to mention software economics are, um... suboptimal. ;) Forcing
lots of usability problems.

Tayssir
From: RC
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in
···················@gigamonkeys.com:

> I'd also happily accept patches against the example code that can be
> downloaded at:
>
>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz>
>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practicals-1.0.3.zip>
>
> to make things run more smoothly on Portable AllegroServe.
>
> -Peter

There seems to be a glitch when untaring practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz
with both winzip and tar under Freebsd 4.9.

I saw no problems with practicals-1.0.3.zip.
From: jonathon
RC wrote:

> There seems to be a glitch when untaring practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz
> with both winzip and tar under Freebsd 4.9.
>
> I saw no problems with practicals-1.0.3.zip.

I saw the same think.  The last file, though unnecessary, is truncated
and screws up the archive.
From: Peter Seibel
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> RC wrote:
>
>> There seems to be a glitch when untaring practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz
>> with both winzip and tar under Freebsd 4.9.
>>
>> I saw no problems with practicals-1.0.3.zip.
>
> I saw the same think. The last file, though unnecessary, is
> truncated and screws up the archive.

Hmmm. What do you mean by "last file" and "truncated"? According to
"tar tzf" the last file is .p4change and when I unpack the tar with
"tar xzf" the file looks fine. It's just one line long.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: RC
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in
···················@gigamonkeys.com:

> "jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> RC wrote:
>>
>>> There seems to be a glitch when untaring practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz
>>> with both winzip and tar under Freebsd 4.9.
>>>
>>> I saw no problems with practicals-1.0.3.zip.
>>
>> I saw the same think. The last file, though unnecessary, is
>> truncated and screws up the archive.
>
> Hmmm. What do you mean by "last file" and "truncated"? According to
> "tar tzf" the last file is .p4change and when I unpack the tar with
> "tar xzf" the file looks fine. It's just one line long.
>
> -Peter

I'm unpacking with "tar xvzf".
Any difference with that?
From: Peter Seibel
RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in
> ···················@gigamonkeys.com:

>>> I saw the same think. The last file, though unnecessary, is
>>> truncated and screws up the archive.
>>
>> Hmmm. What do you mean by "last file" and "truncated"? According to
>> "tar tzf" the last file is .p4change and when I unpack the tar with
>> "tar xzf" the file looks fine. It's just one line long.
>>
>> -Peter
>>

> I'm unpacking with "tar xvzf".
> Any difference with that?

Shouldn't be. I have observed some problems with tar xzf (and
presumably the "v" doesn't matter) on OS X due to gzip complaining
about trailing garbage. You might try "gzip -cdq | tar xf -" and let
me know if that works.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Matthias Buelow
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Shouldn't be. I have observed some problems with tar xzf (and
> presumably the "v" doesn't matter) on OS X due to gzip complaining
> about trailing garbage. You might try "gzip -cdq | tar xf -" and let
> me know if that works.

That's because Gnu tar writes archives in a slightly non-standard
format, which emits said error from non-Gnu tar/pax (not from gzip).
It's usually harmless but you might want to use Gnu cpio with the -H
ustar option for writing POSIX compliant archives to avoid this, if you
only have the Gnu version of tar installed (amazingly, Gnu cpio can
write correct tar archives, while Gnu tar cannot).

mkb.
From: RC
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in
···················@gigamonkeys.com:

> RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:
>
>> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> wrote in
>> ···················@gigamonkeys.com:

>>> Hmmm. What do you mean by "last file" and "truncated"? According to
>>> "tar tzf" the last file is .p4change and when I unpack the tar with
>>> "tar xzf" the file looks fine. It's just one line long.
>>>
>>> -Peter
>>>

>> I'm unpacking with "tar xvzf".
>> Any difference with that?
>
> Shouldn't be. I have observed some problems with tar xzf (and
> presumably the "v" doesn't matter) on OS X due to gzip complaining
> about trailing garbage. You might try "gzip -cdq | tar xf -" and let
> me know if that works.
>
> -Peter

It does work.

 "-q --quiet   Suppress all warnings."  Suppresses all warnings from
 gzip.

This is from the gzip FAQ:

<quote>
gzip complains with trailing garbage ignored

Some tar.gz files are padded with zeroes to have a size which
is a multiple of a certain block size. This occurs in particular
when the compressed tar file is on a device such as a magnetic tape.
When such files are extracted with a command such as

    gunzip < file.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    gtar xvzf /dev/rmt/0

gunzip decompresses correctly the tar.gz file, then attempts to
decompress the rest of the input which consists of zeroes.
Since those zeroes are not in gzip format, gzip ignores them.
The tar extract command still works correctly, since gzip has sent
through the pipe all the data that tar needs.

You can avoid this harmless warning by using the -q option of gzip, as
in:

    gunzip -q < file.tar.gz | tar xvf -
    GZIP=-q           gtar xvzf /dev/rmt/0         # for bash, ksh, sh
    (setenv GZIP -q;  gtar xvzf /dev/rmt/0)        # for csh, tcsh, ...

</quote>

Apparently there are additional bytes added to the gzipped file
by whatever utility you're using to zip the archive.

here's a hexdump of your tar.gz:

-bash-2.05b$ hexdump -C practicals-1.0.3.tar.gz |tail
00030c70  fc 9c 06 52 e3 8a 0a 14  65 c3 13 a9 00 94 ee c2
|...R....e.......|
00030c80  1d 5c 71 b2 36 ab e7 41  97 81 7c 59 56 da 53 7f  |.\q.6..A..
|YV.S.|
00030c90  f2 2d bf f1 ca f9 7f 95  e0 74 4a 55 c0 df 6f 0e
|.-.......tJU..o.|
00030ca0  e1 ff 9d 6e f3 ff f0 15  80 e8 ff 35 6b 67 2f 4e
|...n.......5kg/N|
00030cb0  4f 4f 5f 0a ff ef ec c9  ff fb 11 97 ac f8 6e 34
|OO_...........n4|
00030cc0  1b 4d 3c 3e 25 5e c6 77  5a ad d7 9e 24 eb e9 7a  |.M<>%^.wZ...
$..z|
00030cd0  ba 9e ae a7 eb 5f fa fa  1f d7 99 11 df 00 90 1a  |.....
_..........|
00030ce0  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|................|
*
00032000
-bash-2.05b$

here's one from a test archive I created using
tar cvzf practicals-test.tar.gz practicals-1.0.3

-bash-2.05b$ hexdump -C practicals-test.tar.gz |tail
00030c40  9e 63 e9 aa 1f d0 ee 63  aa c0 1c 01 99 e1 3b 9d
|.c.....c......;.|
00030c50  e7 2a d5 34 f5 fd 2f 78  6e 1a df fc 9c 06 52 e3  |.
*.4../xn.....R.|
00030c60  8a 0a 14 65 c3 63 a9 00  94 ee c2 1d 5c 71 b2 36  |...e.c......
\q.6|
00030c70  af e7 41 97 81 7c 59 56  da 53 7f f4 2d bf f1 2a  |..A..
|YV.S..-..*|
00030c80  f8 7f b5 e0 74 46 55 c0  df 6f 0e e1 ff 9d 6e f3
|....tFU..o....n.|
00030c90  ff f0 15 80 e8 ff b5 4e  9e bf 38 45 c7 8f fc bf
|.......N..8E....|
00030ca0  e7 8f fe df 8f b8 64 c5  77 b3 d5 6c e1 f1 29 f1
|......d.w..l..).|
00030cb0  32 be d3 7a e3 e4 51 b2  1e af c7 eb f1 7a bc fe  |
2..z..Q......z..|
00030cc0  a5 af ff 01 c1 80 a9 15  00 90 1a 00              |............

00030ccc
-bash-2.05b$

RC
From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
RC schrieb:
> I'm trying to get portable aserve to work with Clisp
> but I'm seeing the following problem:

Did you see my posting about this issue that I made eight days ago?
Try google groups with this search:
clisp group:comp.lang.lisp author:Thieme

Andr�
From: RC
=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?= <address.good.until.2005.jul.05
@justmail.de> wrote in ·················@ulric.tng.de:

> RC schrieb:
>> I'm trying to get portable aserve to work with Clisp
>> but I'm seeing the following problem:
>
> Did you see my posting about this issue that I made eight days ago?
> Try google groups with this search:
> clisp group:comp.lang.lisp author:Thieme
>

> Andr�

Ok, took a look at your posting and it seems
we are on the bleeding edge (to say the least)
of this project.

I would like to see PAS work with Clisp for these reasons:

1) Clisp seems to perform well even though it is not
   compiled to native code as is CMUCL.  I would
   like to confirm this.

2) Going the PAS route seems to avoid all those layers
   of Apache + ... + ... + ... ad infinitum. Easier
   to deploy conceptually and adequate for small projects.

3) Connection to an Oracle database server seems straight
   forward.  I have been able to do this without too many
   problems.  I suspect connection to Postgresql is also
   supported but I have not tried it yet.

4) I don't know that the ACL trial has any DB support.

Under Python I have been able to do small DB projects
using Cherrypy and DCOracle2.  PAS + Clisp seems
to be close to the Python scenario.

As far as the Clisp INSTALL of PAS, I'm getting
a pretty clean compilation up to the point
where it can't find a package named "POSIX"
or "UNIX" and a function name getpid.

RC
From: Robert Uhl
RC <··········@pvoalfotpmezsaq.net> writes:

> 2) Going the PAS route seems to avoid all those layers
>    of Apache + ... + ... + ... ad infinitum. Easier
>    to deploy conceptually and adequate for small projects.

Yes but...

Apache is generally already well-known to most folks doing web
development, so it's not an issue of learning Apache (which is
admittedly tough), but rather of learning something else.

Also, inevitably one will wish to start adding X and Y--and eventually
will want to start using Apache, since it's essentially The Standard
HTTPD these days.

Christos Anesti!  Alithos Anesti!