From: Jamie Border
Subject: Newbie ASDF question
Using CLISP (2.33.2):

[1]>(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :hello-c)

gives me a condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY (although the .asd file
is reported as having loaded)

Question is, how do I find out more (i.e. _what_ is missing).  Maybe I would
have a chance of fixing the problem, but I don't know what it is!

Anybody care to help?

Jamie

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Newbie ASDF question
"Jamie Border" <·····@jborder.com> writes:

> Using CLISP (2.33.2):
>
> [1]>(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :hello-c)
>
> gives me a condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY (although the .asd file
> is reported as having loaded)
>
> Question is, how do I find out more (i.e. _what_ is missing).  Maybe I would
> have a chance of fixing the problem, but I don't know what it is!
>
> Anybody care to help?

If your version of asdf or clisp doesn't show the "*** -" line with
the name of the missing component, you can use the :i debugger command
which will inspect the condition, where normally you should see the
required missing componant.

[23]> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :sexql)
; registering #<SYSTEM :SEXQL #x205849A6> as SEXQL
;; Loaded file /usr/local/share/lisp/packages/net/telent/sexql/sexql.asd
*** - component "compo" not found, required by #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "sexql"
      #x2058A18E>
The following restarts are available:
ABORT          :R1      ABORT
ABORT          :R2      ABORT
Break 2 [23]> :i
component "compo" not found, required by #1=#<CL-SOURCE-FILE "sexql" #x2058A18E>:  standard object
 type: ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY
0 [REQUIRES]:  "compo"
1 [VERSION]:  NIL
2 [PARENT]:  NIL
3 [REQUIRED-BY]:  #1=#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "sexql" #x2058A18E>
INSPECT-- type :h for help; :q to return to the REPL --->

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Jamie Border
Yes.  Thanks, Pascal.

CLISP 2.33.2 combined with ASDF from cliki produces this behaviour.

Clearly, my real question should have been:

"What do I do when I see *** - CONDITION xxxx to find out more?

Obviously as I break more stuff, I get better at realising what is broken
(i.e. me).

Jamie

From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Jamie Border" <·····@jborder.com> writes:
> Yes.  Thanks, Pascal.
>
> CLISP 2.33.2 combined with ASDF from cliki produces this behaviour.
>
> Clearly, my real question should have been:
>
> "What do I do when I see *** - CONDITION xxxx to find out more?
>
> Obviously as I break more stuff, I get better at realising what is broken
> (i.e. me).

Well since you don't show us the actuall problem, I'll go on with my fake one:

>> ; registering #<SYSTEM :SEXQL #x205849A6> as SEXQL
>> ;; Loaded file /usr/local/share/lisp/packages/net/telent/sexql/sexql.asd
>> *** - component "compo" not found, required by #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "sexql"

Here, it says that it cannot find the component "compo", which is
required by the  source file "sexql".  So, let's have a look at seql.asd:

;; -*- Lisp -*-
(defpackage :sexql-system
  (:use "CL" "ASDF"))

(in-package :sexql-system)

(defsystem :sexql
  :version "0"
  :components ((:file "defpackage")
               (:file "sexql" :depends-on ("compo" "defpackage"))))

Oooh!  Indeed, here it is there's this fake component "compo" I added
to the dependency list of the file "sexql", and it's not defined
anywhere.

So now I've got two choices: either I define it, for example, I could
tell its a file:

(defsystem :sexql
  :version "0"
  :components ((:file "defpackage")
               (:file "compo")
               (:file "sexql" :depends-on ("compo" "defpackage"))))

but then I'd better provide a compo.lisp file...

Or I remove the fake component:

(defsystem :sexql
  :version "0"
  :components ((:file "defpackage")
               (:file "compo")
               (:file "sexql" :depends-on ("defpackage"))))

and reload.

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live
From: Jamie Border
Aha.  Yes, you were right.  Thanks Pascal.

Lispbox (from PCL website) gives me SLIME (slime-mode not syphillis), and
this means that I won't feel like such a clueless idiot and bug you guys too
much.

Jamie

···················@thalassa.informatimago.com...

From: Peter Seibel
"Jamie Border" <·····@jborder.com> writes:

> Aha.  Yes, you were right.  Thanks Pascal.
>
> Lispbox (from PCL website) gives me SLIME (slime-mode not syphillis), and
> this means that I won't feel like such a clueless idiot and bug you guys too
> much.

And if Lispbox doesn't work for you, please let me know--I'm still
ironing out some wrinkles, mostly caused by Apple's
unfortunately-timed OS upgrade. And there's, of course, the continuing
complete lack of a Windows version.[1] But I am--albeit
slowly--working on these issues.

-Peter

[1] <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/no-windows.html>

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Kenny Tilton
Jamie Border wrote:
> Using CLISP (2.33.2):
>
> [1]>(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :hello-c)
>
> gives me a condition of type ASDF:MISSING-DEPENDENCY (although the .asd file
> is reported as having loaded)
>
> Question is, how do I find out more (i.e. _what_ is missing).

The only thing I can think of is utils-kt. Now I /thought/ I eliminated
that by pulling what little was necessary from utils-kt into hello-c,
but you might not be working from the latest source.

Note that the hello-c I use is now a module under the Cello project.
Casual migration of Cello back to the Cello project (it was under Cells
for a while) is underway.

kt

--
Cells? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cello? : http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cello/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd