From: jonathon
Subject: Can't get Allegro IDE to come up
Hi all,

I have a demo of Allegro Lisp running on FreeBSD.  When I run 'alisp' I
get the REPL.  Then I try (require :ide) and it cannot find the module.

How do I get the IDE to come up?  I've been searching the docs, but no
luck yet.

Jonathon

From: drewc
Subject: Re: Can't get Allegro IDE to come up
jonathon wrote:

> I have a demo of Allegro Lisp running on FreeBSD.  When I run 'alisp' I
> get the REPL.  Then I try (require :ide) and it cannot find the module.
>
> How do I get the IDE to come up?

Run it on windows? The website states numerous times that the IDE is
available only for windows.

There is something called the "composer" which runs under X/Unix, As
seen on the VERY FIRST google hit for 'allegro ide" :
http://www.franz.com/products/integrated_dev_env/

If I were looking for this information, i'd probably try the franz web
page first ... http://www.franz.com/ .. where i'd probably notice that
an early release of the IDE for linux has just been released... which
would then make me figure that BSD is not yet a priority..

Assuming i somehow missed all the obvious information,  after enough
stumbling around and getting yelled at for asking ignorant questions in
public forums when google had the answer as its first hit, somebody may
be kind enough to point me to SLIME : http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

...and i'd be happy.

--
Drew Crampsie
drewc at tech dot coop
From: jonathon
drewc wrote:
> jonathon wrote:
>
> > I have a demo of Allegro Lisp running on FreeBSD.  When I run 'alisp' I
> > get the REPL.  Then I try (require :ide) and it cannot find the module.
> >
> > How do I get the IDE to come up?
>
> Run it on windows? The website states numerous times that the IDE is
> available only for windows.

Sorry I didn't see that.  When I went to download the free demo
version, it said "Allegro CL 6.2 Trial Edition for Windows, Linux,
FreeBSD and Mac OS X

This is a limited version of Allegro CL intended to get you started in
Allegro CL application development. The Allegro CL Trial Edition for
Windows includes an interactive tutorial for the Allegro CL Interface
Builder, some reference information on CLOS, and much more. "

So I didn't expect a tutorial, but the docs that come with the FreeBSD
version give the instructions to bring up the IDE without saying it
only works on Windows.

But aside from that, my mistake.  Sorry.

> Assuming i somehow missed all the obvious information,  after enough
> stumbling around and getting yelled at for asking ignorant questions in
> public forums when google had the answer as its first hit, somebody may
> be kind enough to point me to SLIME : http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

I'm trying to give up emacs, but thanks anyway.

After Kenny Tilton said one of the biggest advantages in his project
was specifically related to the Allegro Lisp GUI and IDE, I thought I'd
check it out.

Jonathon
From: GP lisper
On Fri, 27 May 2005 18:49:18 GMT, <·····@rift.com> wrote:

> If I were looking for this information, i'd probably try the franz web
> page first ... http://www.franz.com/ .. where i'd probably notice that
> an early release of the IDE for linux has just been released... which
> would then make me figure that BSD is not yet a priority..

Note that this test IDE is only available to paying linux customers.

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly fine.