From: Barry Jones
Subject: Lisp in a box - help files
A newbie question if I may,

I'm setting up Lisp in a Box on a Windows XP laptop. I went to
http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/ and downloaded and ran the base
installer (Emacs and Slime), then downloaded and installed the CLisp module.
It seems to work, the REPL responds appropriately to (+ 2 2)

When I click on Help-:>Tutorial, I get a message that
c:\Program Files\LispBox\emacs\etc\TUTORIAL does not exist. I get
similar responses
when I try to open the manual.

In c:\Program Files\LispBox\emacs\etc\ I see a DOC and a DOC.X. It looks
like something didn't unpack.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any hints?

Thanks
--
Barry
From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Lisp in a box - help files
That button doesn't work on my lispbox either. It is an emacs tutorial,
though, not a lisp tutorial. What you should know about emacs:

"Options > Paren Match Highlighting" is nice

<tab> will indent a line based on structure of s-expressions - very
nice.

There are commands in the "file" menu for opening and saving files.

Copy, cut, and paste are available in the "edit" menu.

The "buffers" menu lets you switch between buffers.

The "slime" menu has some cool stuff in it, which I don't know how to
use yet. That is lisp-specific, though, so it wouldn't be in an emacs
tutorial. Advanced emacs users would probably skip all the  menu stuff
and just use hotkeys, but I don't think that reaching that level of
emacs skill would help my lisp coding much.

I think that's all you need to know about emacs, so skip the emacs
tutorial and get back to lisp programming :)