From: =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9_Thieme?=
Subject: Installing Portable AllegroServe (clisp 2.33 + win xp)
I just downloaded portableaserve-1.2.35 and wanted to install it, using
the INSTALL.LISP file.
I started emacs, started slime, typed
(load "D:/Programme/portableaserve/INSTALL.lisp")
and the installation procedure began.

After a few moments these were the last lines I could see:

Wrote file D:\Programme\portableaserve\aserve\authorize.fas
WARNING:
COMPILE-FILE warned while performing #<COMPILE-OP NIL #x19ED152D> on
#<ACL-FILE
   "authorize" #x19ED0429>.
WARNING:
COMPILE-FILE failed while performing #<COMPILE-OP NIL #x19ED152D> on
#<ACL-FILE
   "authorize" #x19ED0429>.
Compiling file D:\Programme\portableaserve\aserve\log.cl ...

and then I got this error message:

READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
   #P"D:\\Programme\\portableaserve\\aserve\\log.cl" @129>: #1=#<PACKAGE
SOCKET> has no external symbol with name "IPADDR-TO-DOTTED"
    [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-PACKAGE-ERROR]

Any ideas how I can compile it and get it running?

Andr�

From: Eric Lavigne
>I just downloaded portableaserve-1.2.35 and wanted to install it,
using
>the INSTALL.LISP file.

>SOCKET> has no external symbol with name "IPADDR-TO-DOTTED"
>    [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-PACKAGE-ERROR]

>Any ideas how I can compile it and get it running?

>André

Try using the latest snapshot instead of one of the official releases.
That project doesn't release nearly as often as it should, and I
believe a bugfix has been sumbmitted for IPADDR-TO-DOTTED since the
last time they released. Getting the latest snapshot is particularly
important with CLisp because they only recently added support for
CLisp.

Alternatively, installing Allegro Common Lisp and using the
AllegroServe that comes built in is probably easier than installing
Portable AllegroServe.
From: André Thieme
Eric Lavigne schrieb:
>>I just downloaded portableaserve-1.2.35 and wanted to install it,
>
> using
>
>>the INSTALL.LISP file.
>

>>SOCKET> has no external symbol with name "IPADDR-TO-DOTTED"
>>   [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-PACKAGE-ERROR]
>

>>Any ideas how I can compile it and get it running?
>

>>Andr�
>

> Try using the latest snapshot instead of one of the official releases.
> That project doesn't release nearly as often as it should, and I
> believe a bugfix has been sumbmitted for IPADDR-TO-DOTTED since the
> last time they released. Getting the latest snapshot is particularly
> important with CLisp because they only recently added support for
> CLisp.
>
> Alternatively, installing Allegro Common Lisp and using the
> AllegroServe that comes built in is probably easier than installing
> Portable AllegroServe.

I downloaded a new version via cvs. It seems to be the newest version,
some files are from february 2005, for example
portableaserve/acl-compat/clisp/acl-excl.lisp is from 08. Feb. 2005.

It still did not work, but the process of installation is now a bit
different. Now the last messages before the ones of the debugger are:

Wrote file D:\Programme\portableaserve\aserve\macs.fas
WARNING:
COMPILE-FILE warned while performing #<COMPILE-OP NIL #x19EE481D> on
#<ACL-FILE
   "macs" #x19EE1BF1>.
WARNING:
COMPILE-FILE failed while performing #<COMPILE-OP NIL #x19EE481D> on
#<ACL-FILE
   "macs" #x19EE1BF1>.
;;  Loaded file D:\Programme\portableaserve\aserve\macs.fas
Compiling file D:\Programme\portableaserve\aserve\main.cl ...
WARNING in START in lines 958..1146 :
variable SETUID is not used.
Misspelled or missing IGNORE declaration?
WARNING in START in lines 958..1146 :
variable SETGID is not used.
Misspelled or missing IGNORE declaration?

And then the debugger says:

READ from #<INPUT BUFFERED FILE-STREAM CHARACTER
   #P"D:\\Programme\\portableaserve\\aserve\\main.cl" @1513>: #1=#<PACKAGE
      SOCKET> has no external symbol with name "IPADDR-TO-DOTTED"
    [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-PACKAGE-ERROR]

So this time the error is another file. Until that step in installation
I already got numerous warnings and this error might have something to
do with them. I think in theory the whole process of installation should
run without any warning...

I wanted to install AllegroServe after I tried my luck with Apache +
mod_lisp (also under win with clisp), but I gave up as there was not
enough documentation and possibly some files missing, at least it seemed
so to me.
This is really a bit demotivating. Only one lib that I tried compiled
instantly without any error messages and there were no problems, and
that was LTK. I also saw Edis cl-ppcre was compiling without any
warnings during the process of installing portable aserve, but I did not
try to install it myself so far.

If anyone has recently managed to get the following working, please let
me know:
win xp
clisp 2.33
apache 2.0.54
mod_lisp newest version, whatever that might be

Andr�
From: Eric Lavigne

#1=#<PACKAGE
>       SOCKET> has no external symbol with name "IPADDR-TO-DOTTED"
>     [Condition of type SYSTEM::SIMPLE-PACKAGE-ERROR]
>

> So this time the error is another file. Until that step in
installation
> I already got numerous warnings and this error might have something
> do with them. I think in theory the whole process of installation
should
> run without any warning...

Yes, that's what happens in projects that don't have bugs ^^
AllegroServe was designed to work only in Allegro Common Lisp. If you
just want to try it out, I recommend getting a trial version of ACL.
The ACL version is very easy to use. PortableAServe is an effort to
make an Allegro library work on other lisps. This is a work in
progress, and I recall reading somewhere that CLisp is a recent
addition to their list of "supported" platforms.

> I wanted to install AllegroServe after I tried my luck with Apache +
> mod_lisp (also under win with clisp), but I gave up as there was not
> enough documentation and possibly some files missing, at least it
seemed
> so to me.
> This is really a bit demotivating. Only one lib that I tried compiled

> instantly without any error messages and there were no problems, and
> that was LTK. I also saw Edis cl-ppcre was compiling without any
> warnings during the process of installing portable aserve, but I did
not
> try to install it myself so far.

Try going to the portableaserve project page, signing up for their
"help" mailing list, and posting your problem there. Chances are the
developers will understand those error messages and know how to fix
them. Definitely keep us posted of any progress though. Sorry I can't
help more, but I'm really interested in this issue.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve/
From: Rick
> Try going to the portableaserve project page, signing up for their
> "help" mailing list, and posting your problem there. Chances are the
> developers will understand those error messages and know how to fix
> them. Definitely keep us posted of any progress though. Sorry I can't
> help more, but I'm really interested in this issue.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve/

Just visited the mailing list archives via this link.  A lot of the
questions posted on the "discuss" group are left unanswered; the "help"
list is worse: most of the recent questions are unanswered.

Like Eric, I'm interested in this issue; so, good luck -- I hope you
fair better than the others.
From: André Thieme
Andr� Thieme schrieb:

> If anyone has recently managed to get the following working, please let
> me know:
> win xp
> clisp 2.33
> apache 2.0.54
> mod_lisp newest version, whatever that might be

Okay, got that working!
Anyway, if you can tell me something about the my issue with PAS I would
be glad.

Andr�
--
"Reading endangers the stupidity"