From: Marco Antoniotti
Subject: Re: Replaceable classes?
The people at the US Patent office should be fired.
Shakespeare should be quoted (out of context if you want) :)

Cheers
--
Marco

From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> The people at the US Patent office should be fired.
> Shakespeare should be quoted (out of context if you want) :)

:)

Well, actually they should just finally abolish the stupid,
harmful, state-monopoly concept of patents altogether.  People
working in government are just slaves of the system, anyway.

And some quotes:

If people had understood how patents would be granted when most of
today's ideas were invented and had taken out patents, the
industry would be at a complete stand-still today.
	Bill Gates (1991)

'Who owns my polio vaccine? The people! Could you patent the sun?'
Jonas Salk (1914-1995), who developed the first effective
anti-polio vaccine

Software patents go one step further: They withhold all forms of
expressions of a particular idea from you. This is why software
patents are potentially so much more harmful to our culture than
copyright: We all can find different ways of expression, but we
all share the same fundamental ideas.
	- Markus Brinkmann

"More patents in more industries and with greater breadth are not
always the best ways to maximize consumer welfare."
Federal Trade Commission of the USA

Some will say that such rights are needed in order to give artists
and inventors the financial incentive to create.  But most of the
great innovators in history operated without benefit of copyright
laws.
	Roderick T. Long