From: Dominique Boucher
Subject: [Ann] Next meeting of the MSLUG
The next meeting of the Montreal Scheme/Lisp User Group
will be held on Wednesday, May 18th 2005.

Speaker: Guillaume Marceau, Brown University
Subject: A Dataflow Language for Scriptable Debugging

Debugging is a laborious, manual activity that often involves
the repetition of common operations.  Ideally, users should
be able to describe these repetitious operations as little
programs.  Debuggers should therefore be programmable, or
scriptable.  The operating environment of these scripts,
however, imposes interesting design challenges on the
programming language that we use to write these scripts.

We present MzTake, our scriptable debugger for Scheme. MzTake
is built on top of FrTime, a functional reactive programming
language also developed at Brown. We will discuss how the
powerful data flow constructs of FrTime capture many
important debugging and comprehension metaphors.  By removing
the need for callbacks and removing the need for state,
debugging scripts become concise and reusable.

For more information, visit:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~boucherd/mslug/mslug-home-en.html

Dominique Boucher

--