From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Subject: Slime problem with OpenMCL
Hi, I just installed OpenMCL 0.14.3 and slime 1.2.1 on my system.
I ran the installation commands as described on the slime website
and started M-x slime.

In a new *inferior-lisp* buffer it says:
(load "/Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp"
:verbose t)
(swank:start-server "/tmp/slime.509" :external-format
:iso-latin-1-unix)
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.3!
#P"/Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-loader.lisp"...
#P"/Users/ulli/.slime/fasl/openmcl-0.14-darwin-powerpc/swank-backend.dfsl"...
#P"/Users/ulli/.slime/fasl/openmcl-0.14-darwin-powerpc/nregex.dfsl"...
#P"/Users/ulli/.slime/fasl/openmcl-0.14-darwin-powerpc/metering.dfsl"...
;Compiling
"/Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-openmcl.lisp"...
;Compiler warnings for
"/Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-openmcl.lisp" :
;   Unused lexical variable STREAM, in (MAKE-STREAM-INTERACTIVE (T)).
; Warning: Interface file
#P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb" does not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
Read error between positions 8480 and 8595 in
/Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-openmcl.lisp.
 > Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found:
OS::|tmpnam|
 > While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
 > Type :POP to abort.
Type :? for other options.
1 >

Any ideas?

--
Don't let school interfere with your education. -- Mark Twain

From: David Steuber
Subject: Re: Slime problem with OpenMCL
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> Hi, I just installed OpenMCL 0.14.3 and slime 1.2.1 on my system.
> I ran the installation commands as described on the slime website and
> started M-x slime.
<snip>
> ; Warning: Interface file #P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb"
> does not exist.
> ; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
> Read error between positions 8480 and 8595 in
> /Users/ulli/Documents/Code/slime-1.2.1/swank-openmcl.lisp.
>  > Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found:
> OS::|tmpnam|
>  > While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
>  > Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
> 1 >

This is a frequent problem.  What's going on is you have not told
OpenMCL where to look for the interface database.  To fix that, look
in the openmcl shell script at this section:

if [ -z "$CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY" ]; then
    CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY=~/usr/src/ccl-dev/ccl
fi

Make sure that the value of CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY is set to point to
the ccl directory of your OpenMCL install.  You can also use setenv in
your .emacs if you prefer to do it that way. eg

(setenv "CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY" "~/usr/src/ccl-dev/ccl")

Make sure you use the openmcl script rather than dppccl as your lisp
in slime if you just fix it in the script.  You should fix your
openmcl script anyway (or set CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY in your .profile)
for when you want to use the FFI (#_ and #$ reader macros for
example).

OpenMCL has a mailing list you may be interested in:

  http://openmcl.clozure.com/mail/index.html

--
An ideal world is left as an excercise to the reader.
   --- Paul Graham, On Lisp 8.1
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
David Steuber wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:
[...]
> This is a frequent problem.  What's going on is you have not told
> OpenMCL where to look for the interface database.  To fix that, look
> in the openmcl shell script at this section:
>
> if [ -z "$CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY" ]; then
>     CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY=~/usr/src/ccl-dev/ccl
> fi
>
> Make sure that the value of CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY is set to point to
> the ccl directory of your OpenMCL install.  You can also use setenv in
> your .emacs if you prefer to do it that way. eg
>
> (setenv "CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY" "~/usr/src/ccl-dev/ccl")
>
> Make sure you use the openmcl script rather than dppccl as your lisp
> in slime if you just fix it in the script.  You should fix your
> openmcl script anyway (or set CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY in your .profile)
> for when you want to use the FFI (#_ and #$ reader macros for
> example).

Yes, thanks.  The other day I was too lazy and dumped everything
in a local directory.  Now I have everything in a nice place,
including the openmcl script and it runs fine...

--
Don't let school interfere with your education. -- Mark Twain