From: Paul Grunwald
Subject: Old newbie question- Configurator?
I did some AutoLisp in the early 90's but have not touched it since. I'm
a journeyman programmer but have not done much more that some PHP and
DHTML in the last few years.  I still use emacs and believe it still to
be the "one true editor."

I the last few days I have been reading "Practical Common Lisp" and "On
Lisp".  I have installed LispBox w/ clisp and it is working on both
Windows and FreeBSD.

I have an idea for an application and I'm looking for some advice and
examples.

I am now working as a systems engineer for a company that makes rugged
computers and i/o boards.

In my company we have hundreds of products.  A good portion of my job is
checking if everything will fit together when we design a system.
Checking voltages, current, heat, shock & vibration, and signal routing
to the backplane are all things I check on a daily basis.

What I would like to develop is a configuration application where I can
either input criteria and have it select components or enter components
and see if there are conflicts or constraints.

I originally started looking at Clips for the application but I did not
find any samples that would help me.  Lisp seems like it would give me a
broader platform to start from and also make it easier to distribute the
application to non-programmers.  I also found the Babylon library that
would give me some chaining functions and/or prolog that would be close
to what I could do in Clips.

So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
system or taxonomy?

Tia,
Paul

From: Kenny Tilton
Subject: Re: Old newbie question- Configurator?
Paul Grunwald wrote:

> I did some AutoLisp in the early 90's but have not touched it since. I'm
> a journeyman programmer but have not done much more that some PHP and
> DHTML in the last few years.  I still use emacs and believe it still to
> be the "one true editor."
>
> I the last few days I have been reading "Practical Common Lisp" and "On
> Lisp".  I have installed LispBox w/ clisp and it is working on both
> Windows and FreeBSD.
>
> I have an idea for an application and I'm looking for some advice and
> examples.
>
> I am now working as a systems engineer for a company that makes rugged
> computers and i/o boards.
>
> In my company we have hundreds of products.  A good portion of my job is
> checking if everything will fit together when we design a system.
> Checking voltages, current, heat, shock & vibration, and signal routing
> to the backplane are all things I check on a daily basis.
>
> What I would like to develop is a configuration application where I can
> either input criteria and have it select components or enter components
> and see if there are conflicts or constraints.
>
> I originally started looking at Clips for the application but I did not
> find any samples that would help me.  Lisp seems like it would give me a
> broader platform to start from and also make it easier to distribute the
> application to non-programmers.  I also found the Babylon library that
> would give me some chaining functions and/or prolog that would be close
> to what I could do in Clips.
>
> So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
> application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
> jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
> get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
> system or taxonomy?

Maybe:

http://lisa.sourceforge.net/

http://radio.weblogs.com/0102385/2003/03/12.html

kt

--
Cells? Cello?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/
Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Wade Humeniuk
Paul Grunwald wrote:

> So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
> application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
> jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
> get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
> system or taxonomy?

See LOOM

http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/

Wade
From: Bijan Parsia
On Thu, 12 May 2005, Wade Humeniuk wrote:

> Paul Grunwald wrote:
>
> > So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
> > application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
> > jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
> > get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
> > system or taxonomy?
>
> See LOOM
>
> http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/

Or Racer:
	http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/~r.f.moeller/racer/

Or FaCT:
	http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/FaCT/

(Racer & FaCT has the advantage over LOOM of supporting OWL which is a W3C
standard, so new reasoners/toolkits are popping up all the time with some
hope of interop.)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.
From: Wade Humeniuk
Bijan Parsia wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005, Wade Humeniuk wrote:
>

>>Paul Grunwald wrote:
>>

>>>So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
>>>application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
>>>jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
>>>get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
>>>system or taxonomy?
>>
>>See LOOM
>>
>>http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/
>

> Or Racer:
> 	http://www.sts.tu-harburg.de/~r.f.moeller/racer/
>
> Or FaCT:
> 	http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~horrocks/FaCT/

Or OpenCyc

http://www.opencyc.org/

 From the FAQ

http://www.opencyc.org/faq/opencyc_faq#139063504

<quote>
In what way is it possible to use OpenCyc together with a lisp-environment
like Xanalys LispWorks?

We have a socket interface that handles lists. The entire API is lispy. So
it would require opening a socket and writing/reading SExprs.
</quote>

Wade
From: Gorbag
"Wade Humeniuk" <··················@telus.net> wrote in message
··························@edtnps84...
> Paul Grunwald wrote:
>
> > So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
> > application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
> > jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to
help
> > get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
> > system or taxonomy?
>
> See LOOM
>
> http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/
>
> Wade

Loom is a bit dated. PowerLoom is the more modern version (in several ways):

http://www.isi.edu/isd/LOOM/PowerLoom/
From: Debian User
On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:09:41 -0500, Paul Grunwald
<·········@spamthis.comcast.net> wrote:

> I did some AutoLisp in the early 90's but have not touched it since. I'm
> a journeyman programmer but have not done much more that some PHP and
> DHTML in the last few years.  I still use emacs and believe it still to
> be the "one true editor."
>
> I the last few days I have been reading "Practical Common Lisp" and "On
> Lisp".  I have installed LispBox w/ clisp and it is working on both
> Windows and FreeBSD.
>
> I have an idea for an application and I'm looking for some advice and
> examples.
>
> I am now working as a systems engineer for a company that makes rugged
> computers and i/o boards.
>
> In my company we have hundreds of products.  A good portion of my job is
> checking if everything will fit together when we design a system.
> Checking voltages, current, heat, shock & vibration, and signal routing
> to the backplane are all things I check on a daily basis.
>
> What I would like to develop is a configuration application where I can
> either input criteria and have it select components or enter components
> and see if there are conflicts or constraints.
>
> I originally started looking at Clips for the application but I did not
> find any samples that would help me.  Lisp seems like it would give me a
> broader platform to start from and also make it easier to distribute the
> application to non-programmers.  I also found the Babylon library that
> would give me some chaining functions and/or prolog that would be close
> to what I could do in Clips.
>
> So, all that said, would lisp be a good choice to build a configurator
> application?  Do you know of any good example applications that might
> jump start my applications.  Any other libraries I should look at to help
> get me started with knowledge representation and designing a good class
> system or taxonomy?
>
> Tia,
> Paul

Have a look at some of the expert systems literature.  They describe
configuration systems based on Lisp:

Programming Expert Systems in OPS 5 (Brownston, Farrel, Kant, Martin)
(an OPS 5 version in Lisp is available on the net)

Expert Systems by P. Jackson

greetings.
From: Paolo Amoroso
Debian User <··@dd.dd> writes:

> Have a look at some of the expert systems literature.  They describe
> configuration systems based on Lisp:
>
> Programming Expert Systems in OPS 5 (Brownston, Farrel, Kant, Martin)
> (an OPS 5 version in Lisp is available on the net)
>
> Expert Systems by P. Jackson

"Expert Systems - Principles and Programming" by Giarratano is also
very useful.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface