From: V.Ch.
Subject: Examples of good Lisp code
Since I am just starting to learn Lisp, I cannon judge for myself
whether some Lisp code is good or bad. Besides, looks like there're not
too many Lisp applications out there. So, can anyone point me at
examples of real-life applications, written in what is generally
considered "good Lisp"? Preferably not from academia.

From: Zach Beane
Subject: Re: Examples of good Lisp code
"V.Ch." <····@notreal.com> writes:

> Since I am just starting to learn Lisp, I cannon judge for myself
> whether some Lisp code is good or bad. Besides, looks like there're
> not too many Lisp applications out there. So, can anyone point me at
> examples of real-life applications, written in what is generally
> considered "good Lisp"? Preferably not from academia.

I really enjoyed reading the source to cl-ppcre. The package is
thoroughly documented both at the user level and within the code. It
uses the condition system, CLOS, compiler macros, implements a parser
and compiler (without calling COMPILE at runtime), and, while written
for speed, is also very lucid.

It's by Edi Weitz and is available from
http://weitz.de/cl-ppcre/. Everything by him is worth reading.

Zach
From: GP lisper
On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:16:32 -0400, <····@xach.com> wrote:
> "V.Ch." <····@notreal.com> writes:
>
>> Since I am just starting to learn Lisp, I cannon judge for myself
>> whether some Lisp code is good or bad. Besides, looks like there're
>> not too many Lisp applications out there. So, can anyone point me at
>> examples of real-life applications, written in what is generally
>> considered "good Lisp"? Preferably not from academia.
>
> I really enjoyed reading the source to cl-ppcre. The package is
> thoroughly documented both at the user level and within the code. It
> uses the condition system, CLOS, compiler macros, implements a parser
> and compiler (without calling COMPILE at runtime), and, while written

Thanks! for pointing that out Zach, it should resolve a need in
another project I have.  I had guessed that Edi's speed was due to
compiling special parsers, in order to beat perls general parser, but
I hadn't fully thought that idea out and am glad to learn that he does
that part fast too.

> for speed, is also very lucid.
>
> It's by Edi Weitz and is available from
> http://weitz.de/cl-ppcre/. Everything by him is worth reading.

Even the barbs!

--
Everyman has three hearts;
one to show the world, one to show friends, and one only he knows.
From: vermicule
"V.Ch." <····@notreal.com> writes:

> Since I am just starting to learn Lisp, I cannon judge for myself
> whether some Lisp code is good or bad. Besides, looks like there're
> not too many Lisp applications out there. So, can anyone point me at
> examples of real-life applications

Axiom.
From: Paolo Amoroso
"V.Ch." <····@notreal.com> writes:

> not too many Lisp applications out there. So, can anyone point me at
> examples of real-life applications, written in what is generally
> considered "good Lisp"? Preferably not from academia.

The Lisa production-rule system:

  http://lisa.sourceforge.net

deals with a typical academia domain, AI, and I don't know whether it
qualifies as a real-life application.  But, in my opinion, its code is
well written.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface