From: David Golden
Subject: XEmacs with Xft on Linux - yay....
While I'm used to GNU Emacs (xemacs has a long list of niggling
differences... e.g. follow-mode or an equivalent apparently isn't
available in XEmacs?!?),  SLIME looks sooo much  better with the
sjt-xft branch [1] from XEmacs CVS that it might be worth switching for
a while...

Combined with "Bitream Vera Sans Mono", emacs suddenly looks decades
younger... I've stuck a screenshot up (n.b. from a LCD screen with
subpixel rendering on, so it will look less pretty on a CRT (or on an
LCD with funny subpixel ordering)) at:

http://oldr.net/slime-xemacs-xft.png

(n.b. new versions of firefox apparently :helpfully" auto-scale image
down- actual image file is 1:1 if you download it)

Quite a bit prettier than before.

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/AntiAliasedFaces

From: David Golden
Subject: Re: XEmacs with Xft on Linux - yay....
David Golden wrote:

> Combined with "Bitream Vera Sans Mono",

Uh. "Bitstream" I mean:
Bitstream Vera Sans is a nice font that Bitstream released for free,
so I should at least get their name right...
From: Paolo Amoroso
David Golden <············@oceanfree.net> writes:

> (n.b. new versions of firefox apparently :helpfully" auto-scale image
> down- actual image file is 1:1 if you download it)

To turno this feature off, uncheck the checkbox in Edit -> Preferences
-> Advanced -> Browsing -> Resize large images to fit in the browser
window.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Zakath

It's been a long time that http://img49.echo.cx/img49/5734/vilisp4pq.png
From: nsr
> >Combined with "Bitream Vera Sans Mono", emacs suddenly looks decades
> >younger...

I know that Luxi Mono is non-free, but IMHO it's prettier than
Bitstream.
Luxi Sans is also very nice for browsing the web (firefox/fedora).

I'm thinking about nuking the fedora on my laptop and install debian
instead.

OT:

I have the xfree86-ttf-xxx non-free package (that has the luxi font)
installed in my debian desktop, but by default it's not anti aliased.

Anyone know how to fix that? (it's amazing that a small issue like this
can prevent me to switch to a better distro... MS is smart they have 6
pretty fonts coming out w/ the next windows release)

-nsr
From: Matthias Buelow
nsr <········@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >Combined with "Bitream Vera Sans Mono", emacs suddenly looks decades
>> >younger...
>
>I know that Luxi Mono is non-free, but IMHO it's prettier than
>Bitstream.
>Luxi Sans is also very nice for browsing the web (firefox/fedora).

You mean Redhat's Luxi Mono.  They use a modified version of the
Luxi TTF fonts, which are only available from them.  The original
Luxi Mono renders rather badly on X11 (you can of course try and
copy the Luxi TTF fonts from a Redhat box and see if that works...)

mkb.