From: Travis C. Porco
Subject: cmucl multiprocessing/mp package
Dear Readers--

I'd like to request help for finding the manual
for multiprocessing support for CMUCL on x86 (package mp). The manual at the
documentation page of www.cons.org gives one line regarding support for lisp
threads; I found some old CLIM-related material referenced by the
EncyCMUCLopedia using the wayback machine. Perhaps I'm missing something
obvious, searching for the wrong thing, or thinking about this the wrong way.
Thanks kindly for any help.

--Travis

From: Wade Humeniuk
Subject: Re: cmucl multiprocessing/mp package
Travis C. Porco wrote:
> Dear Readers--
>
> I'd like to request help for finding the manual
> for multiprocessing support for CMUCL on x86 (package mp). The manual at the
> documentation page of www.cons.org gives one line regarding support for lisp
> threads; I found some old CLIM-related material referenced by the
> EncyCMUCLopedia using the wayback machine. Perhaps I'm missing something
> obvious, searching for the wrong thing, or thinking about this the wrong way.
> Thanks kindly for any help.

The LW CLIM Manual contains the multiprocessing spec.  I think that CMUCL follows
that spec.

http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw445/CLIM/html/climguide-330.htm#pgfId-44506
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw445/CLIM/html/climguide-332.htm#pgfId-44535

Wade
From: Travis C. Porco
In article <·····················@edtnps84>,
Wade Humeniuk  <··················@telus.net> wrote:
>Travis C. Porco wrote:
>> Dear Readers--

>> I'd like to request help for finding the manual
>> for multiprocessing support for CMUCL on x86 (package mp). The manual at the
>> documentation page of www.cons.org gives one line regarding support for lisp
>> threads; I found some old CLIM-related material referenced by the
>> EncyCMUCLopedia using the wayback machine. Perhaps I'm missing something
>> obvious, searching for the wrong thing, or thinking about this the wrong way.
>> Thanks kindly for any help.

>The LW CLIM Manual contains the multiprocessing spec.  I think that CMUCL follows
>that spec.
>
>http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw445/CLIM/html/climguide-330.htm#pgfId-44506
>http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw445/CLIM/html/climguide-332.htm#pgfId-44535

Thanks very much; this is exactly what I needed to find.

--Travis
From: Carl Shapiro
·······@stat.Berkeley.EDU (Travis C. Porco) writes:

> I'd like to request help for finding the manual
> for multiprocessing support for CMUCL on x86 (package mp). The manual at the
> documentation page of www.cons.org gives one line regarding support for lisp
> threads; I found some old CLIM-related material referenced by the
> EncyCMUCLopedia using the wayback machine. Perhaps I'm missing something
> obvious, searching for the wrong thing, or thinking about this the wrong way.
> Thanks kindly for any help.

I don't know about a manual, but the multiprocessing package in CMUCL
is documented at the function level.  You can retrieve this
documentation interactively by way of the DOCUMENTATION function, or
by looking at the documentation strings in the source code.
Fortunately, there is no mystery as to what constitutes interface and
implementation in this API; each function which is part of the public
interface is commented as such.

Also, a quick Google search turned up the following web page, which
has pointers to useful information about the multiprocessing package,
and appears to have been written by someone in a similar position to
your own.

http://www.trakt7.net/cmucl%20and%20multiprocessing
From: Travis C. Porco
In article <···············@panix3.panix.com>,
Carl Shapiro  <·············@panix.com> wrote:
>·······@stat.Berkeley.EDU (Travis C. Porco) writes:

>> I'd like to request help for finding the manual
>> for multiprocessing support for CMUCL on x86 (package mp). The manual at the
>> documentation page of www.cons.org gives one line regarding support for lisp
>> threads; I found some old CLIM-related material referenced by the
>> EncyCMUCLopedia using the wayback machine. Perhaps I'm missing something
>> obvious, searching for the wrong thing, or thinking about this the wrong way.
>> Thanks kindly for any help.

>I don't know about a manual, but the multiprocessing package in CMUCL
>is documented at the function level.  You can retrieve this
>documentation interactively by way of the DOCUMENTATION function, or
>by looking at the documentation strings in the source code.
>Fortunately, there is no mystery as to what constitutes interface and
>implementation in this API; each function which is part of the public
>interface is commented as such.

Yes; much harder for a beginner like myself, but valuable.

>Also, a quick Google search turned up the following web page, which
>has pointers to useful information about the multiprocessing package,
>and appears to have been written by someone in a similar position to
>your own.

>http://www.trakt7.net/cmucl%20and%20multiprocessing

Thanks. I don't know how I missed this helpful page; you are a better
googler than I.

--Travis
From: Carl Shapiro
·······@stat.Berkeley.EDU (Travis C. Porco) writes:

> In article <···············@panix3.panix.com>,
> Carl Shapiro  <·············@panix.com> wrote:

> >http://www.trakt7.net/cmucl%20and%20multiprocessing
>
> Thanks. I don't know how I missed this helpful page; you are a better
> googler than I.

Actually, I found this page by accident.  I was searching for an
on-line pointer to the source code file multiprocessing interfaces are
defined in, and somehow came across this page.

I don't know what your level of Lisp sophistication is, but if you are
interested in having a manual, you can use an tool which convents Lisp
documentation strings into HTML to produce a preliminary version.  I
am sure somebody in this forum can suggest an easy-to-use program for
doing this.