From: ·············@hotmail.com
Subject: This Lispofobics really gone too far
First , Jokes about pages of closing parenthesis
Second, Threads why Lisp is not popular and that we all should switch
to python
Now this :(I wonder why he gave it 5 star , probably to sound more
impressive)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590592395/qid=1115200740/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-1151321-2940016?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Excellent intro , for an obscure language , April 29, 2005
Reviewer: Stephen (Lost in Lisp macros) - See all my reviews
I really like this book even if i'm not a Lisp fan.
This book gave me fresh view of lisp that realy helped me.

Few months ago my company got a new wealthy client,
the job was to maintain their in-house software ,
as the application was written in Lisp and i was the
only programmer with Lisp in my CV
(I's behind C/C++,Java,VB, php and before Pascal)
i got the project , promotion "Lead Programmer",
raise , and could hire help .
Sounds great ? Well it was untill i sow the code.
Actually i didn't used Lisp since the college days,
even than my largest one was less than 800 lines long.
Facing the code that i sopose to maintain was a:
"In what the hell is this written in ?"
Even after 8 months, and countless hours working
on the code i still can't answer that.
The whole program is a one big macro , when i
macroexpand it , got a code large enaphe to fill
Paul Grahams' On Lisp , book (around 400 pages)
and remain enaphe for 2 Doctoral thesis.
After unsuccessfull idea to rewrite the code in
C# , our calculation was that 4 men would do it
in something like 5 years , and hiring three Lispers
we decided to rewrite the code strictly from the comments
and documentation (geetting as much idea from original code as we
could).
Thank you lord that it was such well documented and commented.
Now our program is still missing features ,it's buggy ,
it's slower , and thanks god for the brand new Dell boxes that
hide our unoptimization else we would be out of job .

Eight months ago i had a very high opinion of my skills
now i feel like a high School jr writing his first Hello World.
Lisp tested me and i failed .

If it wasn't this recession i would leave this project ,but good job
are hard to find this days especially for one with lack of selfrespect
as myself.

.

I wish you a happy Lisping
Stephen
You could never know how good you are if never done
Lisp before

From: fireblade
Subject: Re: This Lispofobics really gone too far
> The whole program is a one big macro , when i
> macroexpand it , got a code large enaphe to fill
> Paul Grahams' On Lisp , book (around 400 pages)
> and remain enaphe for 2 Doctoral thesis.

Wow !!! Macro 426 pages  long that would be something .
BTW did he macroexpand or macroexpand-1 ?
Even with my limited experience the difference could be huge.
But still 400+ pages ,i would like to see that code.
From: Peter Herth
Actually, after rereading his statements, they rather are a testimony
for Lisp then against it. One of his statements was, that rewriting
the program in C# would take 5 years for 4 men, yet fixing this with
3 Lispers was an approach he took - the only reason for that could be
that he  assumed he could solve this problem with Lisp, while C#
would fail :p

Peter

--
pet project: http://dawn.netcologne.de
homepage:    http://www.peter-herth.de
From: Andreas Thiele
<·············@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····························@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> First , Jokes about pages of closing parenthesis
> Second, Threads why Lisp is not popular and that we all should switch
> to python
> Now this :(I wonder why he gave it 5 star , probably to sound more
> impressive)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590592395/qid=1115200740/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-1151321-2940016?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

> "In what the hell is this written in ?"
> Even after 8 months, and countless hours working
> on the code i still can't answer that.
> The whole program is a one big macro , when i
> macroexpand it , got a code large enaphe to fill
> Paul Grahams' On Lisp , book (around 400 pages)
Fancy, when I did my first job in Lisp I had the very opposite experience.
Although the code was at least partly *really* far from being perfect, I
found it utterly easy to read. Even mistakes programmers made have been
relatively obvious to me when reading/debugging the first time. Despite of
'all the parentheses' I found it uncomparable easy to read Lisp code. I
think this is partly because Lisp code is relatively short. At this point I
knew Lisp for about four month. I remember I did the first change to the
code on the first day I was working in the company. OK, I was roughly
prepared before but this was an astonishing experience.

Andreas
From: ···············@lycos.com
>You could never know how good you are if never done Lisp before

This sounds very good , i would post it at my office as a slogan
From: alex goldman
···············@lycos.com wrote:

>>You could never know how good you are if never done Lisp before
>
> This sounds very good , i would post it at my office as a slogan

My favorite is:

From: doug
Stephen if  you want some help, just whistle .
I'm experienced with macros and
would be glad to help you in my spare time
(read over the weekends).
I don't have a chance to do any interesthing
(read Lispy) coding at work, and On Lisp size of
 macro looks very tempty .
 BTW Seibel books is Ok , but he uses extended loop
too much for my taste ,that's not very Lispy at all.

Doug
Let the source be with you
From: Simone Francis
Lucky bastard , wish i could make some coding in Lisp
instead of usual :" Lisp ! No way , you're MCSE certified
so do it in VB .Net, period ".

It isn't fair .
From: doug
From: ···············@lycos.com
From: JB
>>>and remain enaphe for 2 Doctoral thesis

I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
Any Doc here?
From: alex goldman
JB wrote:

> I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
> Any Doc here?

It's not the size, it's the content. I've heard of ones that are just 50
pages long, double spaced.
From: JB
So 50 pages min , right ?
>(+ 426  ( *  2 50))
  Making 526 pages long macro.

Something doesn't fit either , i have some experience with
Corman Lisp and if you wanna make exe file you have to
give it a starting function as parameter , not a macro.
So how could  this program be entirely one big macro  ?
Or maybe this guy uses some other implementation.

And what is in-house software anyway?
Sorry for the stupid questions i'm a total newb.
From: William Bland
On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:33:59 -0700, alex goldman wrote:

>> I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
>> Any Doc here?
>
> It's not the size, it's the content. I've heard of ones that are just 50
> pages long, double spaced.

Mine was exactly 100 pages, double spaced.

Cheers,
	Bill.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
William Bland wrote:
> Mine was exactly 100 pages, double spaced.

BTW, what's the point in making everything double-spaced?  Is that
an American thing?

I wrote a longer paper single-spaced, and I intend to do the same
with my Diploma thesis.

--
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's
consent. -- Abraham Lincoln
From: William Bland
On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:31:55 -0500, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:

> William Bland wrote:
>> Mine was exactly 100 pages, double spaced.
>
> BTW, what's the point in making everything double-spaced?  Is that
> an American thing?

No.  I'm British.

> I wrote a longer paper single-spaced, and I intend to do the same
> with my Diploma thesis.

Good luck.  I would guess if you're doing a doctorate, you'll have to
follow the submission rules.  The ones I had (University of Nottingham)
were quite explicit about margin sizes and line spacing.

I think the point is that examiners like to be able to scribble things in
the margins and between the lines, perhaps so that they can ask you nasty
questions when it comes time to defend your work.

Cheers,
	Bill.
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
William Bland wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2005 14:31:55 -0500, Ulrich Hobelmann wrote:
>

>>William Bland wrote:
>>
>>>Mine was exactly 100 pages, double spaced.
>>
>>BTW, what's the point in making everything double-spaced?  Is that
>>an American thing?
>

> No.  I'm British.

Ok, but (I was in the USA the last 9 months and there) I saw lots
of cases where we were supposed to turn in double-spaced stuff and
I wonder why.

>>I wrote a longer paper single-spaced, and I intend to do the same
>>with my Diploma thesis.
>

> Good luck.  I would guess if you're doing a doctorate, you'll have to
> follow the submission rules.  The ones I had (University of Nottingham)
> were quite explicit about margin sizes and line spacing.

Oh, I'll surely use whatever format they want.  It's just that
most theses I see (and most papers published anywhere) are
single-spaced, and my supervisors also never mentioned that I
should use other than single-space.

> I think the point is that examiners like to be able to scribble things in
> the margins and between the lines, perhaps so that they can ask you nasty
> questions when it comes time to defend your work.

For my Spanish paper that made sense, but in a doctorate thesis
there should (I hope!) be no need to write lots of stuff between
the lines; margins are totally fine.

Well, I'll see what my professors will tell me...

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de>:

| [...] but in a doctorate thesis there should (I hope!) be no need to
| write lots of stuff between the lines;

No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
scribbling in.

- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction
  than thinking does: but it deprives us of whatever chance there is
  of getting closer to the truth.  -- C.P. Snow
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> + Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de>:
>
> | [...] but in a doctorate thesis there should (I hope!) be no need to
> | write lots of stuff between the lines;
>
> No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
> scribbling in.

Then why are all (or most) books, ACM's papers, LNCS's papers,
most magazines and newspapers all single-spaced?

I don't quite understand this.

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de>:
>
> | [...] but in a doctorate thesis there should (I hope!) be no need to
> | write lots of stuff between the lines;
>
> No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
> scribbling in.

That's strange. When I get a doubly-spaced file,  I delete the empty
lines to be able to read it...

In a World without Walls and Fences,
who needs Windows and Gates?
From: Gareth McCaughan
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
>
>> + Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de>:
>>
>> | [...] but in a doctorate thesis there should (I hope!) be no need to
>> | write lots of stuff between the lines;
>>
>> No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
>> scribbling in.
>
> That's strange. When I get a doubly-spaced file,  I delete the empty
> lines to be able to read it...

I find that when I get a doubly-spaced file, there's often
little loss from deleting the *other* lines :-).

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Raymond Wiker
Gareth McCaughan <················@pobox.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>
>> Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:

>>> No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
>>> scribbling in.
>>
>> That's strange. When I get a doubly-spaced file,  I delete the empty
>> lines to be able to read it...
>
> I find that when I get a doubly-spaced file, there's often
> little loss from deleting the *other* lines :-).

        Excellent - then you can reuse the file, just as we used to do
with floppies in the old days :-)

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  ·············@fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com>:

| Harald Hanche-Olsen <······@math.ntnu.no> writes:
|
| > + Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de>:
| >
| > | [...] but in a doctorate thesis there should (I hope!) be no need to
| > | write lots of stuff between the lines;
| >
| > No, no.  The space between the lines is for /reading/, not for
| > scribbling in.
|
| That's strange. When I get a doubly-spaced file,  I delete the empty
| lines to be able to read it...

I think maybe you missed the pun.  My post was just a joke, no serious
content at all.  Are you familiar with the phrase "reading between the
lines"?

From: Kirk Job Sluder
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:

> Ok, but (I was in the USA the last 9 months and there) I saw lots of
> cases where we were supposed to turn in double-spaced stuff and I
> wonder why.

To my knowledge, it's a relic of the old publishing method where the
copy editor or proofreader indicated needed changes using symbols above
and below the line of text. Then the copy was shipped back to the author
who was responsible for the necessary changes.  The author then
submitted a corrected draft. That copy, if approved would be sent to the
typesetter (with perhaps more notes in the margins and between the
lines) who then created beautiful single-spaced copy.  This process is
also why some publication styles put the tables and figures at the back
of the manuscript.

I actually participated in this process when I was a kid, printing out
reams of double-spaced thesis on a dot matrix printer connected to a
C64.  My dad was pretty cutting edge in musicology at the time for
using a word processor.  You must remember that although LaTeX goes back
to the 1970s, most people didn't have access to high-quality printers
until the mid-90s.  Thesis styles are a relic of the recent past.

If you are curious, here is a list of proofreading symbols:
http://webster.commnet.edu/writing/symbols.htm

I learned to write on a typewriter, so I'm comfortable printing out
double-spaced copy, proofreading with a cup of coffee and bagel over
lunch, and making the edits in the afternoon.

> Oh, I'll surely use whatever format they want.  It's just that most
> theses I see (and most papers published anywhere) are single-spaced,
> and my supervisors also never mentioned that I should use other than
> single-space.

Many journals have a "submission" and "publication" style.  Usually the
"submission" style is both typewriter-friendly and double-spaced to be
editor-friendly.  Then the "publication" style is single-spaced and
reader-friendly.  This is slowly changing.  The American Pychological
Association just recently (last three years) approved the use of italic
and bold text in their "submission" style.

> For my Spanish paper that made sense, but in a doctorate thesis there
> should (I hope!) be no need to write lots of stuff between the lines;
> margins are totally fine.
>
> Well, I'll see what my professors will tell me...

The problem is that just about everybody uses letter or A4 paper.  With
10-12 point text, letter and A4 is too wide by a huge margin.  There are
three ways around this: huge margins (shortens the width of lines),
increase the whitespace between lines (helps to keep the eye on the
line), or multi-column text.  Multi-column text is out of the question
because it can be a PITA even with a good typesetting program.  This
leaves two alternatives that end up with a lot of whitespace on the
page.

I'm certain that in 20 years, graduate schools and publishers will shift
to a standard that takes advantage of high-quality laser printers,
software and multimedia.  Until then, I fear many of us are doomed to
use word processors to imitate typewritten text.

--
Kirk Job-Sluder
"The square-jawed homunculi of Tommy Hilfinger ads make every day an
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Kirk Job Sluder wrote:
> Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:
>

>>Ok, but (I was in the USA the last 9 months and there) I saw lots of
>>cases where we were supposed to turn in double-spaced stuff and I
>>wonder why.
>

> To my knowledge, it's a relic of the old publishing method where the
[...]

Wow, thanks for all the info on history :)

> The problem is that just about everybody uses letter or A4 paper.  With
> 10-12 point text, letter and A4 is too wide by a huge margin.  There are
> three ways around this: huge margins (shortens the width of lines),
> increase the whitespace between lines (helps to keep the eye on the
> line), or multi-column text.  Multi-column text is out of the question
> because it can be a PITA even with a good typesetting program.  This
> leaves two alternatives that end up with a lot of whitespace on the
> page.

Actually, some papers I've seen (two-column) looked really cool.
E.g.
http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/%7Egreg/cyclone/papers/cyclone-regions.pdf

I think the software people should up their software, if there are
any big problems.

From: Espen Vestre
alex goldman <·····@spamm.er> writes:

> It's not the size, it's the content. I've heard of ones that are just 50
> pages long, double spaced.

I've heard of a 1-page math doctoral thesis, but it may be just a legend.
--
  (espen)
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Espen Vestre <·····@vestre.net>:

| alex goldman <·····@spamm.er> writes:
|
| > It's not the size, it's the content. I've heard of ones that are just 50
| > pages long, double spaced.
|
| I've heard of a 1-page math doctoral thesis, but it may be just a legend.

Hmm.  I have seen ones around twenty pages, but one?  Doubtful.

From: Gareth McCaughan
Alex Goldman wrote:

>> I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
>> Any Doc here?
>
> It's not the size, it's the content. I've heard of ones that are just 50
> pages long, double spaced.

Mine was about that long. (Pure mathematics, probably
the best field for short PhD theses.)

--
Gareth McCaughan
.sig under construc
From: Alan Shutko
"JB" <········@post.com> writes:

> I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?

My wife's was 172 pages, single-spaced.

--
Alan Shutko <···@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
I'm a drummer not a wet nurse.
From: Tim X
"JB" <········@post.com> writes:

> I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
> Any Doc here?

Its not about the number of pages, but what is in them. You also get
differences depending on the research area - for example, a friend of
mine did a doctoral thesis in maths - his thesis was only 30 pages and
he says it would have been half that again if he hadn't run out of
time! A lot of the ones in computer science I've seen have been about
100 - 150 pages of 12pt 1.5 or double spaced. Sometimes they can be a
lot larger if they have appendicies of source code.

Tim
--
Tim Cross
From: ···············@lycos.com
Tim X wrote:

> > I'm curious How many pages does Doctoral thesis counts?
> > Any Doc here?
> >

> Its not about the number of pages, but what is in them. You also get
> differences depending on the research area - for example, a friend of
> mine did a doctoral thesis in maths - his thesis was only 30 pages
and
> he says it would have been half that again if he hadn't run out of
> time! A lot of the ones in computer science I've seen have been about
> 100 - 150 pages of 12pt 1.5 or double spaced. Sometimes they can be a
> lot larger if they have appendicies of source code.
>
> Tim
> --
> Tim Cross
> The e-mail address on this message is FALSE (obviously!). My real
e-mail is
> to a company in Australia called rapttech and my login is tcross - if
you
> really need to send mail, you should be able to work it out!

Mine was 411 pages, the shortest i've ever seen was 8 pages long
(description of algorythm + source code)