From: Thomas F. Burdick
Subject: Cells 2.0 released
I'm pleased to announce the release of Cells 2.0.  Cells is a mature,
stable extension to CLOS that allows you to create classes, the
instances of which have slots whose values are determined by a
formula.  Think of the slots as cells in a spreadsheet (get it?), and
you've got the right idea.  You can use any arbitrary Common Lisp
expression to specify the value of a cell.  The Cells system takes
care of tracking dependencies among cells, and propagating values.  It
is distributed under an MIT-style license.

Cells has seen a major revision since its last public release, and now
has an improved propagation model.  Currently supported
implementations are Allegro, SBCL, LispWorks, CLISP, and OpenMCL.
Partial support exists for CMUCL, Corman Lisp, and MCL.

It is installable with asdf-install.  For more information, see the
Cells home page:

  http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

From: jonathon
Subject: Re: Cells 2.0 released
Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the release of Cells 2.0.  Cells is a mature,
> stable extension to CLOS that allows you to create classes, the
> instances of which have slots whose values are determined by a
> formula.  Think of the slots as cells in a spreadsheet (get it?), and

Okay, my curiosity is piqued.  I did a small project in Python with GTK
and I was planning to do my next version (the same financial-type app)
in Lisp with a console interface and then a web interface.

Py-gtk works well with libglade.  How about Cells-gtk?
From: Kenny Tilton
jonathon wrote:
> Thomas F. Burdick wrote:
>
>>I'm pleased to announce the release of Cells 2.0.  Cells is a mature,
>>stable extension to CLOS that allows you to create classes, the
>>instances of which have slots whose values are determined by a
>>formula.  Think of the slots as cells in a spreadsheet (get it?), and
>

> Okay, my curiosity is piqued.  I did a small project in Python with GTK
> and I was planning to do my next version (the same financial-type app)
> in Lisp with a console interface and then a web interface.
>
> Py-gtk works well with libglade.  How about Cells-gtk?

You got me. Isn't glade on the other side of Gtk? fwiw, cells-gtk seems
to live happily on Linux. Anyway, if no one answers here, I recommend
the cells-gtk list and/or site:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

kenny

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Fred Gilham
> Partial support exists for CMUCL, Corman Lisp, and MCL.

The docs say that one of the tests fails with CMU Lisp.  However, I
don't see any sign of that when I run with a recent snapshot (March
2005).  What does this failure look like?

I ran the same process in sbcl as common lisp, then compared the
output. That is, I ran (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cells-test) in both.
Then I compared the outputs.  Except for formatting and a few other
minor issues, they were the same.

Does this imply that CMUCL is runing cells 2.0 correctly?

--
Fred Gilham                                       ······@csl.sri.com
	  Comprehensive Computer Language Preference Survey
From: Thomas F. Burdick
Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:

> > Partial support exists for CMUCL, Corman Lisp, and MCL.
>
> The docs say that one of the tests fails with CMU Lisp.  However, I
> don't see any sign of that when I run with a recent snapshot (March
> 2005).  What does this failure look like?
>
> I ran the same process in sbcl as common lisp, then compared the
> output. That is, I ran (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cells-test) in both.
> Then I compared the outputs.  Except for formatting and a few other
> minor issues, they were the same.
>
> Does this imply that CMUCL is runing cells 2.0 correctly?

That's good to hear, that does imply it's working correctly.  One of
the tests tickles what appears to be a bug in Gerd's constructor
optimizations, at least in 19a.  Unfortunately that means there won't
be a supported release of CMUCL until 19b, but I'll change the docs to
indicate that recent snapshots are fully supported.

That also saves me the pain of installing the most recent snapshot,
and trying to come up with a reasonably concise test case to report
the bug :-)