From: M Jared Finder
Subject: Allegro Trial problems
In my search for a multiplatform Lisp that's faster than CLisp, I have
downloaded the Allegro trial.  It's so much faster than CLisp in every
way, but I can't call DIRECTORY in the directories I care about!  And
since it's a trial version, have no tech support with Franz, so I'm
asking for help here.

The problem is this:
I can list the contents of every directory except those under /home/!

This is really weird, because the only difference with /home/ from every
other directory is that it is formatted with ReiserFS, where every other
partition uses some other format.  But this seems like way too low level
a difference for Allegro to care about.

I know a lot of people here use Allegro; do any of you have any ideas
why this is happening?

   -- MJF

From: ············@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Allegro Trial problems
> I can list the contents of every directory except those under /home/!

could you please post the exact piece of code that isn't working, as
well as the version (I assume ACL 6.2) and platform you are having the
problem with?
From: M Jared Finder
············@gmail.com wrote:
>>I can list the contents of every directory except those under /home/!
>
> could you please post the exact piece of code that isn't working, as
> well as the version (I assume ACL 6.2) and platform you are having the
> problem with?

On bootup, ACL says:

International Allegro CL Trial Edition
6.2 [Linux (x86)] (Apr 30, 2005 17:09)
Copyright (C) 1985-2002, Franz Inc., Berkeley, CA, USA.  All Rights
Reserved.

I can list files and directories in other directories on other
partitions, including the root directory:

CL-USER> (directory "/")
(#p"/lost+found" #p"/boot" #p"/home" #p"/root" #p"/vmlinuz" #p"/tmp"
  #p"/lib" #p"/usr" #p"/sbin" #p"/etc" #p"/var" #p"/bin" #p"/dev"
  #p"/mnt" #p"/proc" #p"/opt" #p"/initrd" #p"/initrd.img" #p"/sys"
  #p"/vmlinuz.old" #p"/media" #p"/bak" #p"/initrd.img.old")
CL-USER> (directory "/bak/")
(#p"/bak/lost+found" #p"/bak/daily.0" #p"/bak/daily.1" #p"/bak/daily.2"
  #p"/bak/daily.3" #p"/bak/daily.4" #p"/bak/daily.5" #p"/bak/daily.6")

But I can't list directories under home, no matter how I make the pathname:

CL-USER> (directory "/home/")
NIL
CL-USER> (directory "/home/jared/")
NIL
CL-USER> (directory (make-pathname :directory '(:absolute "home" "jared")))
NIL

/home/ is on a different partition, but so is /bak/ and /boot/, and I
can list those just fine.  I can ls all of these directories, of course.
  Remounting the partition in a different directory doesn't help, but
unmounting it and putting actual files in /home/ works.

    -- MJF
From: Pascal Bourguignon
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:
> CL-USER> (directory "/home/")
> NIL
> CL-USER> (directory "/home/jared/")
> NIL
> CL-USER> (directory (make-pathname :directory '(:absolute "home" "jared")))
> NIL
>
> /home/ is on a different partition, but so is /bak/ and /boot/, and I
> can list those just fine.  I can ls all of these directories, of
> course. Remounting the partition in a different directory doesn't
> help, but unmounting it and putting actual files in /home/ works.

Try:

(directory "/home/jared/*/")
(directory "/home/jared/*")
(directory "/home/jared/*.*")

I need a new toy.
Tail of black dog keeps good time.
Pounce! Good dog! Good dog!
From: M Jared Finder
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:
>
>>CL-USER> (directory "/home/")
>>NIL
>>CL-USER> (directory "/home/jared/")
>>NIL
>>CL-USER> (directory (make-pathname :directory '(:absolute "home" "jared")))
>>NIL
>>
>>/home/ is on a different partition, but so is /bak/ and /boot/, and I
>>can list those just fine.  I can ls all of these directories, of
>>course. Remounting the partition in a different directory doesn't
>>help, but unmounting it and putting actual files in /home/ works.
>

> Try:
>
> (directory "/home/jared/*/")
NIL

> (directory "/home/jared/*")
NIL

> (directory "/home/jared/*.*")
NIL

I didn't need to do wild pathname specification for other directories;
why would I need to do that for /home/?

   -- MJF
From: Pascal Bourguignon
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>> M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> writes:
>>
>>>CL-USER> (directory "/home/")
>>>NIL
>>>CL-USER> (directory "/home/jared/")
>>>NIL
>>>CL-USER> (directory (make-pathname :directory '(:absolute "home" "jared")))
>>>NIL
>>>
>>>/home/ is on a different partition, but so is /bak/ and /boot/, and I
>>>can list those just fine.  I can ls all of these directories, of
>>>course. Remounting the partition in a different directory doesn't
>>>help, but unmounting it and putting actual files in /home/ works.
>> Try: (directory "/home/jared/*/")
> NIL
>
>> (directory "/home/jared/*")
> NIL
>
>> (directory "/home/jared/*.*")
> NIL

Indeed, it's strange that it doesn't work...

> I didn't need to do wild pathname specification for other directories;
> why would I need to do that for /home/?

I wanted to discard the case where /home/jared is a symbolic link.

[···@thalassa tmp]$ ls dir
···@
[···@thalassa tmp]$ ls -l dir
lrwxrwxrwx    1 pjb      pjb             5 2005-05-01 23:49 dir -> clisp/
[···@thalassa tmp]$ ls clisp
./  ../  got-it

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:44:28 -0700, M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> wrote:

> And since it's a trial version, have no tech support with Franz, so
> I'm asking for help here.

Even if you only have a trial version I think it's fine if you ask
Franz' support staff politely.  If you've really found a bug they
should be happy you've found it and otherwise they might be willing to
help you anyway.

Cheers,
Edi.

--