From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Autopackage: is it Lisp-friendly?
Autopackage is a "multi-distribution binary packaging framework for
Linux systems", i.e. a sort of InstallShield for Linux:

  http://autopackage.org

Has any of you tried it for packaging a Common Lisp application?  Is
it Lisp-friendly enough, or at least not too unfriendly?  Is it
awkward to use for deploying Lisp applications?

By "Lisp application" I mostly mean a "binary" distribution.  Taking
CMUCL as an example, it would typically contain something like the
`lisp' executable, a saved image, and a shell script for running
`lisp' with the appropriate image.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Autopackage: is it Lisp-friendly?
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> Autopackage is a "multi-distribution binary packaging framework for
> Linux systems", i.e. a sort of InstallShield for Linux:

As far as I can tell, this has no advantages and many disadvantages
over the Linux Standard Base standardized package.  See also Joey
Hess' weblog for a discussion from a debian perspective:
  <http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/autopackage_designed_by_monkeys-2005-03-28-14-20>

Christophe