From: Thomas Gagne
Subject: Accessing Lisp from 3GLs
I've been pondering how nice it would be to mix Lisp and Smalltalk
together and have found one that implemented something similar to Lisp
but wasn't fully-baked (as far as I could tell).  I think it was one
from Smalltalk/X.

I was wondering if there existed Lisp libraries that could be linked
(@runtime) into an application written in C.  Since I can load libraries
into Smalltalk and call them as methods I thought this might be a fun
way to get into Lisp from inside Smalltalk.

Perhaps there's a better way?

From: Steven T Abell
Subject: Re: Accessing Lisp from 3GLs
Thomas Gagne wrote:

> I've been pondering how nice it would be to mix Lisp and Smalltalk
> together and have found one that implemented something similar to Lisp
> but wasn't fully-baked (as far as I could tell).  I think it was one
> from Smalltalk/X.
>
> I was wondering if there existed Lisp libraries that could be linked
> (@runtime) into an application written in C.  Since I can load libraries
> into Smalltalk and call them as methods I thought this might be a fun
> way to get into Lisp from inside Smalltalk.
>
> Perhaps there's a better way?

There is a Scheme implementation called SISC that runs on a JVM.
If you can get from Smalltalk to Java, you can get from there to Scheme.
Of the several Scheme-on-Java implementations, this one appears best.

Steve
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Steven)
(you :wrote  :on '(Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:56:59 -0800))
(

 ST> There is a Scheme implementation called SISC that runs on a JVM.

there's also a Common Lisp that runs on a JVM..

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Thomas Gagne
I've ported to VW GNU Smalltalk's Lisp.st which was a port of a Lisp
package from Smalltalk/X.

<http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/articles/parcels/>

I've asked one of the guys at the office if it's complete enough to be
useful here at work.  I'm hoping it is...
From: Christopher C. Stacy
Thomas Gagne <······@wide-open-west.com> writes:
> I was wondering if there existed Lisp libraries that could be linked
> (@runtime) into an application written in C.

I believe all the commercial systems can compile your
Lisp program as a dynamically loaded library (as opposed
to a stand-alone executable or FASL files).

(And of course the resulting DLL could also call LOAD,
giving you another layer of dynamic loading!)
From: Thomas Gagne
One of my co-workers (a smug Lisp weenie) suggested the interface
between Smalltalk and Lisp should behave/look/act/smell like CLOS.