From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Anyone have some spare bandwidth for Lispbox distribution?
As promised in _Practical Common Lisp_ I'm building a version of
Matthew Danish and Mikel Evins's Lisp in a Box package for use with
the book. (Lisp in a Box is a packaging of Emacs, a Common Lisp
implementation, and SLIME that lets new Lispers get up and running
without having to figure out how to install and integrate all the
parts themselves. My version includes some extra goodies to make it
even easier for newbies, in particular the readers of my book, to get
going.)

I've already built GNU/Linux (x86) and OS X versions using Allegro 6.2
Trial, SBCL 0.8.20, CLISP 2.33.2, and the just released OpenMCL 0.14.3
(OS X only). I'm actually building two versions, a full Lisp in a Box
with GNU Emacs that you can just start up and go and a no-emacs
version for folks who are already Emacs users but want a really easy
way to install a Lisp and SLIME and the other goodies I provide. I'm
also hoping to provide packages that contain just a Lisp
implementation packaged up so it can be dropped into an existing
Lispbox installation. I'll also be building Windows versions with
Allegro and CLISP when I get some time on a Windows box.

My problem is, these packages are quite large--between 10 and 60 meg.
If I host them on my current gigamonkeys.com site I'll blow out my
storage and (likely) bandwidth quotas in no time at all. I may be
upgrading to a set-up with higher quotas in a month or so but in the
meantime I'm hoping there might be folks with some spare
storage/bandwidth who'd be willing to host these packages. One
possibility is that I could provide builds for each implementation to
the implementors and they could provide it as another flavor
distribution of their Lisp. Let me know if you might be able to help
out. Thanks.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Marco Antoniotti
Have you looked at the Lisp Resource Kit in common-lisp.net?

From: Peter Seibel
Marco Antoniotti <·······@cs.nyu.edu> writes:

> Have you looked at the Lisp Resource Kit in common-lisp.net?

Not really--I saw when it was first announced. ISTR it was a
Knoppix-style (or in fact) live CD for doing Lisp. Is that right?
That's a bit more than I want to bite off. I'm hoping to make Lispbox
something that is both a good way for newbies to get started an a
reasonable environment for non-newbies. (For instance, I'm begining to
use the non-emacs version as my main environment because it has some
handy glue code. Or at least *I* think it's handy--but I wrote it.
;-))

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Christopher C. Stacy
From: Peter Seibel
······@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

> How about using Bittorrent.

That is probably a good idea. Sadly, I've never been clueful enough to
get Bittorrent to work myself (not that I've tried *all* that hard) so
it doesn't seem that it'd ease the barriers to entry to distribute it
that way. Which is what Lispbox is all about, after all.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Mario S. Mommer
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
> My problem is, these packages are quite large--between 10 and 60 meg.
> If I host them on my current gigamonkeys.com site I'll blow out my
> storage and (likely) bandwidth quotas in no time at all. I may be
> upgrading to a set-up with higher quotas in a month or so but in the
> meantime I'm hoping there might be folks with some spare
> storage/bandwidth who'd be willing to host these packages.

If you want, we can host it at common-lisp.net. I think we have enough
bandwidth and storage.

Regards,
        Mario.
From: Markus Fix
Peter Seibel wrote:

> meantime I'm hoping there might be folks with some spare
> storage/bandwidth who'd be willing to host these packages.

I'd be happy to host or mirror "Lispbox". Great idea!

-fix

PS: Setting up a Bittorrent tracker is no big deal.

--
------- Markus Fix http://www.bookfix.com/ --------
--------Creating the Programmer's Library----------