From: paulgraham
Subject: Lisp for Startups
A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.

From: Mike Cox
Subject: Re: Lisp for Startups
"paulgraham" <··@bugbear.com> wrote in message
·····························@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
> Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
> money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
> applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
> using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.

Yeah, we all saw your story on slashdot.   This seems like a cool ploy to
sell more Lisp books. ;-)  Anyhow, I just wanted to say that python to me
looks a bit better than lisp because you don't have to worry about all those
parenthesese mucking up the code.  I know, get emacs and it will take care
of them for you...but python seems a bit easier on the eyes.
From: Paul F. Dietz
Mike Cox wrote:

> Anyhow, I just wanted to say that python to me
> looks a bit better than lisp because you don't have to worry about all those
> parenthesese mucking up the code.

Sigh.

	Paul
From: GP lisper
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:01:31 -0600, <·····@dls.net> wrote:

> Mike Cox wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, I just wanted to say that python to me
>> looks a bit better than lisp because you don't have to worry about all those
>> parenthesese mucking up the code.
>
> Sigh.
>
> 	Paul

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.  -- Navajo Proverb
From: Kenny Tilton
GP lisper wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:01:31 -0600, <·····@dls.net> wrote:
>

>>Mike Cox wrote:
>>

>>>Anyhow, I just wanted to say that python to me
>>>looks a bit better than lisp because you don't have to worry about all those
>>>parenthesese mucking up the code.
>>
>>Sigh.
>>
>>	Paul
>

> You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.  -- Navajo Proverb

Wow. Prior art (from god knows when) for "don't feed the trolls". Brilliant.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"paulgraham" <··@bugbear.com> writes:

> A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
> Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
> money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
> applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
> using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.

Bravo!

In deep sleep hear sound,
Cat vomit hairball somewhere.
Will find in morning.
From: Kenny Tilton
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> "paulgraham" <··@bugbear.com> writes:
>

>>A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
>>Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
>>money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
>>applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
>>using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.
>

> Bravo!

Indeed. I am kicking myself for not giving it up for Paul when I first
read that. The smell of money went to my head and I dashed off an RFM
instead.

:(

kt

From: Paolo Amoroso
"paulgraham" <··@bugbear.com> writes:

> A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
> Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
> money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
> applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
> using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.

The effects of your effort will be interesting to watch not just for
their outcome on Lisp, but for the cool products and services the
program attendees will be able to create.

Do you plan any logo (e.g. something with the label "sucks less!" in
it :) for the companies and products coming out of the program?  If
so, it will be easier for potential customers to find them, and give
them priority when looking for certain products or services.

Best wishes to you and all the attendees.  And, needless to say, have
fun.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools (see also http://clrfi.alu.org):
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: paulgraham
No, we don't plan to make the startups use any kind of logo, or for
that matter, force anything else down their throats.  The whole plan is
to interfere *less* than regular VCs do.

Maybe one day if we get a good reputation, startups may want to brag on
their sites that they're funded by us.  In which case (knowing
startups) they'll presumably use our logo without asking permission.
From: Takuon Soho
"paulgraham" <··@bugbear.com> wrote in message
·····························@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
>A lot of you have probably already heard about the Summer Founders
> Program.  Besides being a cool project, this is where I put my
> money where my mouth is about Lisp being superior for practical
> applications.  I.e. instead of being skeptical about projects
> using Lisp, as many investors would, we especially welcome them.

Well said and well done.

Lisp is an unfinished symphony whoose final implications
and ultimate achievments are still unknown.

I shall follow the developments with interest.

Tak