From: Peter Seibel
Subject: Speaking of marketing ...
Want to amp up the buzz around Lisp? Sign up for this game:

  <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/index.html>

and then bid up this issue:

  <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html?_mid=7440&_ono=6>

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: S. Vuori
Subject: Re: Speaking of marketing ...
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Want to amp up the buzz around Lisp? Sign up for this game:
>
>   <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/index.html>
>
> and then bid up this issue:

<http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html?_mid=7440&_ono=6>

I did that (I bid some on linux and debian too =) I don't normally
participate in this kind of things but I'll do nearly anything to win
some "mindshare" for lisp.

- Sampo
From: Peter Seibel
"S. Vuori" <·········@jippii.fi> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> Want to amp up the buzz around Lisp? Sign up for this game:
>>
>>   <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/index.html>
>>
>> and then bid up this issue:
>>

> <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html?_mid=7440&_ono=6>
>
> I did that (I bid some on linux and debian too =) I don't normally
> participate in this kind of things but I'll do nearly anything to
> win some "mindshare" for lisp.

Heh, looks like you, me, and 6-7 other folks did too. Lisp is ruling
the PROGLANG[1] market though RUBY is not too far behind. However the
"market cap" for LISP is still only ~$80,000 so each person who signs
up for this game and dumps their $10,000 of funny money into LISP will
bump its price up quite a bit.

-Peter

P.S. Disclaimer: As an early LISP shareholder, I, of course, stand to
gain if my little boilerroom operation here works out well. But it's
highly unlikely that I'll catch up to the leaders and win the game.

[1] <http://buzz.research.yahoo.com/bk/market/market.html?_mid=7440>

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Heh, looks like you, me, and 6-7 other folks did too. Lisp is ruling
> the PROGLANG[1] market though RUBY is not too far behind. However the
> "market cap" for LISP is still only ~$80,000 so each person who signs
> up for this game and dumps their $10,000 of funny money into LISP will
> bump its price up quite a bit.

Apparently one of us doesn't understand the nature of the game.  I thought
the payoffs were about *actual* Google hits, so one would need to see a big
upswing in Lisp posts and websites to make profit on a Lisp investment.
Inviting your friends to invest in Lisp means nothing; you will rise or fall
on where the Google market goes.  Or is there a skewing effect due to a
limited pool of funny money?

In other words, if I understand the game correctly, you Lisp investors are
doomed.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.
From: Peter Seibel
"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····························@yahoo.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>> Heh, looks like you, me, and 6-7 other folks did too. Lisp is
>> ruling the PROGLANG[1] market though RUBY is not too far behind.
>> However the "market cap" for LISP is still only ~$80,000 so each
>> person who signs up for this game and dumps their $10,000 of funny
>> money into LISP will bump its price up quite a bit.
>
> Apparently one of us doesn't understand the nature of the game. I
> thought the payoffs were about *actual* Google hits,

Yahoo, not Google.

> so one would need to see a big upswing in Lisp posts and websites to
> make profit on a Lisp investment. Inviting your friends to invest in
> Lisp means nothing; you will rise or fall on where the Google market
> goes. Or is there a skewing effect due to a limited pool of funny
> money?

Well, not quite. From
<https://buzz.research.yahoo.com/dm/info/help.html>

  The prices are computed in such a way that the ratio of any two
  prices in a market is always equal to the ratio of market
  capitalizations (market caps) for those two stocks. In other words,
  if the market cap of Internet Explorer (IE) is twice the market cap
  of Firefox (FFOX), then the price of IE is twice the price of FFOX.
  If you really want to know the details of how prices are computed in
  a dynamic pari-mutuel market (DPM), read this Yahoo! Research Labs
  publication.

However:

  Two different forces affect stock prices. First, prices fluctuate
  according to supply and demand: the more people buy a stock, the
  higher its price. Second, prices are adjusted every Friday at 6pm US
  Eastern Time to reflect actual buzz scores. Finally, at certain
  intervals, all shares in all stocks cash out according to buzz
  scores.

  So remember, prices are grounded in something real: frequency of
  search on Yahoo!. Ultimately, you're trying to predict search
  trends.

So, in the long run, you're right--you can't win if you purchase
shares that don't have good "buzz". I suppose come Friday, chances are
all us LISP shareholders will take a haircut unless there are a lot of
folks searching for Lisp on Yahoo this week. But maybe if we drive up
the price between now and then that'll feed into the buzz machine and
more folks will search for Lisp and it becomes a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel                                     ·····@gigamonkeys.com

From: Brandon J. Van Every
Peter Seibel wrote:

> So, in the long run, you're right--you can't win if you purchase
> shares that don't have good "buzz". I suppose come Friday, chances are
> all us LISP shareholders will take a haircut unless there are a lot of
> folks searching for Lisp on Yahoo this week.

That's what I'd expect.

> But maybe if we drive up
> the price between now and then that'll feed into the buzz machine and
> more folks will search for Lisp and it becomes a self-fulfilling
> prophecy.

I don't see why.  The number of people playing the Buzz game vs. searching
on Yahoo! is a pittance.  I think the only reason you guys even believe you
have a chance, is the game was probably announced recently and nobody's
familiar with its mechanics and behavior yet.

One of the reasons I feel disinclined to play the game, is if I'm correct
that it's based in the realities of Yahoo! searches, it will take a very
long time for most of these trends to unfold.  I'm really not interested in
spending a lot of energy to find out if I'm right about some programming
language 1 year from now.  I feel I've already invested 2 years in that
intellectual exercise and I know the lay of the land.  Far more important is
what contributes to my personal productivity.  In a sense, I feel I play
this Buzz game every waking day of my life.  For me it's all about "can I
develop a successful open source business model that realizes my artistic
goals?"  For 2 years I haven't managed it, but I remain optimistic and
determined.  I had my .sig 1 year before I heard about this Buzz game.

I will monitor your Lisp progress for a few weeks though, because after all
I'm a game designer.

Hmm, I suppose I *could* just make my long-term picks and not monitor a damn
thing.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Brandon J. Van Every" <·····························@yahoo.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
> >
> > Heh, looks like you, me, and 6-7 other folks did too. Lisp is ruling
> > the PROGLANG[1] market though RUBY is not too far behind. However the
> > "market cap" for LISP is still only ~$80,000 so each person who signs
> > up for this game and dumps their $10,000 of funny money into LISP will
> > bump its price up quite a bit.
>
> Apparently one of us doesn't understand the nature of the game.  I thought
> the payoffs were about *actual* Google hits, so one would need to see a big
> upswing in Lisp posts and websites to make profit on a Lisp investment.
> Inviting your friends to invest in Lisp means nothing; you will rise or fall
> on where the Google market goes.  Or is there a skewing effect due to a
> limited pool of funny money?
>
> In other words, if I understand the game correctly, you Lisp investors are
> doomed.

With no fundamental (Buzz score), it's pure speculation.

Buzz scores:

C           46
C#           2
C++          7
Groovy       0
Java         5
Lisp         0
Perl         5
PHP         16
Python       1
Ruby         0
VisBasic    17

So the only sure win, "long term", is C (and PHP & VisBasic if you
feel adventurous).

But the game is not to predict what will dominate the world, it's to
win buzz-dollars.  Speculation is OK.  Too bad they don't implement
options...

Now, let's go back to day trading, it's more fun!

Wanna go outside.
Oh, no! Help! I got outside!
Let me back inside!