From: Brandon J. Van Every
Subject: 3D engines using Lisp
Know of any 3D engines using Lisp?  Particularly interested in open source
engines.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur

From: Alexander Repenning
Subject: Re: 3D engines using Lisp
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Know of any 3D engines using Lisp?  Particularly interested in open
source
> engines.

OpenGL for MCL includes a simple 3D agent-based game engine.
http://agentsheets.com/lisp/OpenGL.html

Number of additional interfaces including gamepad + joystick, mp3,
interfaces for Mac. Less stuff for Windows. More stuff in the queue.
Can't talk about that ;-)

Lisps supporting ephemeral garbage collector highly recommended because
GC and smooth 3D animations don't mix well. On the Mac use MCL.

Alex
From: Jeff
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Know of any 3D engines using Lisp?  Particularly interested in open
> source engines.

What platform?

If Win32 is what you are on, feel free to check out my CPW and OpenGL
bindings for LispWorks at the website below. Use them however you want.
I've also been piecing together (albeit slowly, work takes precedence)
another layer for 3D support on top of those: math libraries, entitiy
code, camera code, lights, etc. If you wanted some of that, let me know
and I'll pass it along.

Jeff M.

--
http://www.retrobyte.org
··············@gmail.com
From: Brandon J. Van Every
Jeff wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> Know of any 3D engines using Lisp?  Particularly interested in open
>> source engines.
>
> What platform?

I'm interested in any demonstration of proof of concept on any platform.
However I do develop on Windows.

> If Win32 is what you are on, feel free to check out my CPW and OpenGL
> bindings for LispWorks at the website below. Use them however you
> want. I've also been piecing together (albeit slowly, work takes
> precedence) another layer for 3D support on top of those: math
> libraries, entitiy code, camera code, lights, etc. If you wanted some
> of that, let me know and I'll pass it along.

Thatks, that's ok for now.  I was hoping for evidence of complete,
commercial grade 3D engines, or nearly so.  For now I will implement my AI
code using horrible 2D graphics.  I'll worry about grafting that onto an eye
candy 3D engine later.  I've tried the other approach, worrying about open
source 3D engine support first, and it only leads to boring problems.
Things like "gee I need a model importer that doesn't cost $$$$."  "Gee I
need to attach a useful compiled HLL to this 3D engine."  "Gee there's scant
documentation and example code for using this engine."  "Gee this engine's
output is kinda ugly."

My experience is that 3D graphics engine people are very primitive about
their choice of language.  They believe in C++ and a scripting language.

--
Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie