From: Nick B
Subject: Problem compiling with ACL trial edition
In a spirit of enquiry and learning I decided to teach myself a bit
more about MOP programming by getting Alexander Repenning's XMLisp to
work with ACL's trial edition. All has gone well and it now works as
expected for the examples, but only if I use the
fi:eval-or-compile-current-buffer function from emacs and then use the
defined XML package! Whenever I try to (compile-file ...) I get an
warning saying that there's no in-package statement, which is
definitely not the case, and when I do a (load ...) of either the
compiled file or the lisp none of the definitions show up in the
package.

I've tried enclosing the (in-package ...) in an (eval-when ...) which
at least made the warnings about deprecated behaviour go away.

I'm pretty certain I must be missing something, anyone care to
enlighten me on what?

From: Joel Reymont
Subject: Re: Problem compiling with ACL trial edition
From: pctech
I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/def­ault.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.
From: Nick B
From: R. Mattes
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:17:14 -0800, Nick B wrote:

> It turns out that the compiler works fine in the trial version - it
> seems to have been the files themselves.

Macintosh line endings? Maybe ACL can't deal with \r line endings
and as a result comments will gobble up all lines that follow?

 HTH Ralf Mattes

From: Duane Rettig
"R. Mattes" <··@mh-freiburg.de> writes:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:17:14 -0800, Nick B wrote:
>
> > It turns out that the compiler works fine in the trial version - it
> > seems to have been the files themselves.
>
> Macintosh line endings? Maybe ACL can't deal with \r line endings
> and as a result comments will gobble up all lines that follow?

No, this should not be a problem; Allegro CL allows you to specify
the external format that will automatically convert the returns
to newlines:

CL-USER(1): (find-external-format :e-cr)
; Fast loading from bundle code/ef-e-cr.fasl.
#<EXTERNAL-FORMAT :E-CR @ #x564481a>
CL-USER(2):

Note that this can be done in Allegro CL on any architecture, so
the old #\Return style Mac files can be read on any platform.