From: Guy Macon
Subject: Re: what kind on programming is lisp?

F�rster vom Silberwald wrote:

>The aformentioned does not weight heavy compared to one fact: Forthers
>really believe that they are in the upper 10 per cent out of a
>population of programmers.  That is not a joke: just google in
>comp.lang.forth.

As someone who hires programmers and monitors their output, it
has been my experience that most Forth programmers really *are*
in the upper 10 per cent out of a population of programmers,
just as most VBA programmers are in the lower 50 per cent out
of a population of programmers.  There are, of course, exceptions.

I haven't had experience with lisp programmers, but I suspect that
they too are mostly near the top. (I have nothing against lisp,
but it seems a poor choice for 4-bit ebedded processors running
real-time embedded applications.)

In my opinion, the top 1% know more than one language and use the
right tool for the job, and the bottom 1% spend more time flaming
other languages than they do programming.

--
Guy Macon <http://www.guymacon.com/>