From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: what kind on programming is lisp?
"AnonymosX" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> c - process oriented programming
> java - object oriented programming
> lisp - ?

lisp - programmer oriented programming

From: Kenny Tilton
Joe Marshall wrote:
> "AnonymosX" <··········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>c - process oriented programming
>>java - object oriented programming

ML - fucntional programming
Prolog - logic programming
CLP - constraint programming

>>lisp - ?

...all of the above.

kt

--
Cells? Cello? Cells-Gtk?: http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/

"Doctor, I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to
state that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
From: Gorbag
"Kenny Tilton" <·······@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
··························@twister.nyc.rr.com...

> Joe Marshall wrote:
> > "AnonymosX" <··········@gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >>c - process oriented programming
> >>java - object oriented programming
>
> ML - fucntional programming
> Prolog - logic programming
> CLP - constraint programming
>
> >>lisp - ?
>
> ...all of the above.

Umm, no.

Lisp is imperative, just like C. You can, by avoiding any side effects,
write functional programs with it, however, you'd have to avoid quite a few
of the built-in functions of common lisp, such as setf. Logic programming
and constraint logic programming are not available as paradigms of common
lisp, unless you extend the language (e.g., Screamer adds non-deterministic
backtracking). Certainly, there is no way, absent extensions, for me to
assert that

> (< X 37)
> (> X 35)
> (THE X INTEGER)
36

in fact, the first assertion there would have just given me an unbound
variable error.

That there are multiple extensions to Lisp that can give me an embedded
language that will do these things is beyond question, however, none of
these things "are Lisp" unless we lose what we mean by "Lisp" - we
essentially claim the entire closure of all programs that can be written in
Lisp are Lisp too (and thus C is Lisp, UNIX is Lisp, COBOL is Lisp,
Microsoft Windows is Lisp, etc.)
From: Dave Roberts
"Gorbag" <······@invalid.acct> writes:

> however, none of
> these things "are Lisp" unless we lose what we mean by "Lisp" - we
> essentially claim the entire closure of all programs that can be written in
> Lisp are Lisp too (and thus C is Lisp, UNIX is Lisp, COBOL is Lisp,
> Microsoft Windows is Lisp, etc.)

"Resistence is futile..."

--
Dave Roberts