From: Pietro Campesato
Subject: Status of SBCL on Windows
Hi,
just wondering if anyone knows anything about this porting effort.

Thanks

From: ramza2
Subject: Re: Status of SBCL on Windows
From: Peter Scott
How is that relevant to SBCL on windows?

-Peter
From: Pietro Campesato
ramza2 wrote:
> Do you use clisp?

Yes: unfortunately that's the only choice... that's why
I am interested in any SBCL porting efforts. I cannot
find any information about it besides rumours and a brief
mention on www.sbcl.org
From: Christophe Rhodes
"Pietro Campesato" <················@gmail.com> writes:

> ramza2 wrote:
>> Do you use clisp?
>
> Yes: unfortunately that's the only choice... that's why
> I am interested in any SBCL porting efforts. I cannot
> find any information about it besides rumours and a brief
> mention on www.sbcl.org

What you see in sbcl-devel mailing list archives is what is known.
(In those archives, among other things, you will find pointers to
screenshots and a tarball).

Christophe
From: TLOlczyk
On 30 Jun 2005 15:01:22 -0700, "Pietro Campesato"
<················@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>just wondering if anyone knows anything about this porting effort.
>
>Thanks
Well, I waited to reply hoping Carl Shapiro would. That way we
get a status report from him.

He has been porting cmucl. The implications I had were that he was
close to finishing it, sort of alpha, but that he was too busy
organising a conference, That was two months ago.

The reply-to email address is ··········@yahoo.com.
This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess,

**
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD

There is a difference between
*thinking* you know something,
and *knowing* you know something.
From: Pietro Campesato
TLOlczyk wrote:

> Well, I waited to reply hoping Carl Shapiro would. That way we
> get a status report from him.
>
> He has been porting cmucl. The implications I had were that he was
> close to finishing it, sort of alpha, but that he was too busy
> organising a conference, That was two months ago.

That's really good news.
From: Rob Warnock
Pietro Campesato <················@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| TLOlczyk wrote:
| > Well, I waited to reply hoping Carl Shapiro would. That way we
| > get a status report from him.
| >
| > He has been porting cmucl. The implications I had were that he was
| > close to finishing it, sort of alpha, but that he was too busy
| > organising a conference, That was two months ago.
|
| That's really good news.
+---------------

Well, except... The last I heard there were still a few nasty bugs left
with garbage collection, and also especially with interrupts: seems
that under Windows there really aren't any user "interrupts" the way
we know of them in Unix/Linux. Instead, when your application process
starts up Windows has this weird way of silently forking a thread for
you that waits for "interrupts" and then wakes up to handle them. Getting
the stack-handling and stack-fixups correct between the CMUCL thread(s)
and the system-supplied "interrupt" thread is... uh... interesting.

But I've probably garbled something, so...

Carl? Give us an update, eh?  ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Carl Shapiro
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> Well, except... The last I heard there were still a few nasty bugs left
> with garbage collection, and also especially with interrupts: seems
> that under Windows there really aren't any user "interrupts" the way
> we know of them in Unix/Linux. Instead, when your application process
> starts up Windows has this weird way of silently forking a thread for
> you that waits for "interrupts" and then wakes up to handle them. Getting
> the stack-handling and stack-fixups correct between the CMUCL thread(s)
> and the system-supplied "interrupt" thread is... uh... interesting.

These were all outstanding problems before the system became self
hosting.  I have long since squashed all of these bugs; the garbage
collector works, synchronous interrupts work, and core file saving
works.  Asynchronous interrupts work in the common cases, and I am
getting very close to a working solution for the corner cases.  In a
few more sittings I will have that code working as solidly as one can
reasonably expect.

> But I've probably garbled something, so...

Not much :-)
From: Edi Weitz
On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 03:41:30 -0500, ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:

> seems that under Windows there really aren't any user "interrupts"
> the way we know of them in Unix/Linux. Instead, when your
> application process starts up Windows has this weird way of silently
> forking a thread for you that waits for "interrupts" and then wakes
> up to handle them.

You don't happen to have a URL lying around where this is explained in
more detail?  Just curious...

Thanks,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Rob Warnock
Edi Weitz  <········@agharta.de> wrote:
+---------------
|  ····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) wrote:
| > seems that under Windows there really aren't any user "interrupts"
| > the way we know of them in Unix/Linux. Instead, when your
| > application process starts up Windows has this weird way of silently
| > forking a thread for you that waits for "interrupts" and then wakes
| > up to handle them.
|
| You don't happen to have a URL lying around where this is explained in
| more detail?  Just curious...
+---------------

I don't, sorry. I just heard about it word-of-mouth from Carl
[who in a parellel message says that he's already fixed up
almost all of those issues anyway].

-Rob

-----
From: Carl Shapiro
····@rpw3.org (Rob Warnock) writes:

> I don't, sorry. I just heard about it word-of-mouth from Carl
> [who in a parellel message says that he's already fixed up
> almost all of those issues anyway].

the straight skinny on win32 console interrupts...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_control_handlers.asp
From: Edi Weitz
On 04 Jul 2005 20:45:52 -0400, Carl Shapiro <·············@panix.com> wrote:

> the straight skinny on win32 console interrupts...
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/console_control_handlers.asp

Thanks!

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.