From: jonathon
Subject: Screenshots of real-world Lisp apps
Hi all,

I've been looking around, and I've found some pretty cool Lisp apps out
there.  However, a lot have been hobby based (music apps) and others
have been open-source and still others have been both.

Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
apps they can post screenshots of?

Jonathon

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: Screenshots of real-world Lisp apps
On 26 Jun 2005 20:01:16 -0700, "jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious
> application apps they can post screenshots of?

If you don't know it yet you might want to look at Espen Vestre's
PrimeTrader:

  <http://espen.vestre.net/eclm05/ev-ams-2005.pdf>
  <http://www.netfonds.no/manual_pt_eng.php>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Paolo Amoroso
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
> apps they can post screenshots of?

Here are links to collections of Lisp screen shots:

  http://lispm.dyndns.org/ (see section "Lisp Pictures and Screenshots")
  http://www.cliki.net/Screenshots

I don't know whether some of them qualify as heavy duty or serious.

Paolo
Recommended Common Lisp libraries/tools:
- ASDF/ASDF-INSTALL: system building/installation
- CL-PPCRE: regular expressions
- UFFI: Foreign Function Interface
From: Rainer Joswig
Am 27.06.2005 10:58 Uhr schrieb "Paolo Amoroso" unter <·······@mclink.it> in
··············@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it:

> "jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
>> apps they can post screenshots of?

Some of these applications have web interfaces, so you can make the
screenshots yourself. ;-)

Some others:

Xanalys Link Explorer is written in LispWorks:
- http://www.xanalys.com/solutions/linkexplorer.html

RacerPlus
http://www.racer-systems.com/products/plus.phtml

Mirai (don't know how active they are developing), has lately been used for
the movie 'Lord of the Rings' to do some modelling (Gollum, ...)
http://www.izware.com/mirai/paint.htm

> Here are links to collections of Lisp screen shots:
>
>   http://lispm.dyndns.org/ (see section "Lisp Pictures and Screenshots")

There were lots of screenshots/articles in the old times. I used to see many
of them in journals, magazines, ... It would be a good idea to have a place
where one could collect the new ones...

From: John DeSoi
jonathon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking around, and I've found some pretty cool Lisp apps out
> there.  However, a lot have been hobby based (music apps) and others
> have been open-source and still others have been both.
>
> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
> apps they can post screenshots of?
>
> Jonathon

http://pgedit.com/mac_screenshots
http://pgedit.com/win_screenshots

BTW, for the recent release of pgEdit I had some time to explore the
LispWorks Mac Objective-C interface a little more. I'm very impressed
with the potential of this.

This version implements Cocoa toolbars which you can customize by
dragging the icons around. I never used this much in Mac applications,
but now that I implemented it in Lisp it seems really cool :).

I hope to do a little writeup about the Objective-C interface when I get
some time.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2005-06-28 01:07:24 -0400, John DeSoi <·····@pgedit.com> said:

> I hope to do a little writeup about the Objective-C interface when I
> get some time.

I look forward to this.
From: Mike  Travers
Afferent is real-world, commercial, fairly heavy duty for use by
synthetic chemists in pharmaceutical drug discovery.  It does
combinatorial chemistry, lab robotics control, and a bunch of other
things.

http://www.franz.com/success/customer_apps/bioinformatics/mdl_story.lhtml

If you look around at Franz's "success story" section on their website,
you will see many more commercial applications.

More Afferent screenshots are here:
   http://www.hyperphor.com/portfolio/portfolio.html
From: Dmitriy Ivanov
Hello jonathon,
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

j> I've been looking around, and I've found some pretty cool Lisp apps
j> out there.  However, a lot have been hobby based (music apps) and
j> others have been open-source and still others have been both.
j>
j> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious
j> application apps they can post screenshots of?

Take a look www.ystok.ru/products/tournament.html as an entry point. Though
the application is in Russian (for now), you can get some impression from
the www.ru.ystok.ru/tournament/slides.html page.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov
From: jonathon
Dmitriy Ivanov wrote:

> Take a look www.ystok.ru/products/tournament.html as an entry point. Though
> the application is in Russian (for now), you can get some impression from
> the www.ru.ystok.ru/tournament/slides.html page.

Which CL implementation did you use for this application?
From: Dmitriy Ivanov
Hello jonathon,
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

j>> Take a look www.ystok.ru/products/tournament.html as an entry
j>> point. Though the application is in Russian (for now), you can get
j>> some impression from the www.ru.ystok.ru/tournament/slides.html
j>> page.
j>
j> Which CL implementation did you use for this application?

LispWorks for Windows.
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov
From: Marc Battyani
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking around, and I've found some pretty cool Lisp apps out
> there.  However, a lot have been hobby based (music apps) and others
> have been open-source and still others have been both.
>
> Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
> apps they can post screenshots of?

Planning and real time driving of robotic non destructive testing systems
woking 24x7 for years:
http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/softscan.html

Software for the EN13668 standard calibration system:
http://www.cmseddyscan.com/products/ultrasonics/ultrasonics.htm

Both are written with Lispworks.

Some day if I can find some time, I will update my web site to add more
applications and in particular some complex web apps.

Marc
From: jonathon
Marc Battyani wrote:

> Planning and real time driving of robotic non destructive testing systems
> woking 24x7 for years:
> http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/softscan.html
>
> Software for the EN13668 standard calibration system:
> http://www.cmseddyscan.com/products/ultrasonics/ultrasonics.htm
>
> Both are written with Lispworks.

I'm starting to lean toward Lispworks over Allegro, but the personal
edition cuts out after 5 hours, right?  Or is that only with a big app?
 Also, I cannot tell from the website: does the personal edition have
GUI design support or not?

> Some day if I can find some time, I will update my web site to add more
> applications and in particular some complex web apps.

That would be great!

The app I'm working on now is AJAX with a SBCL backend.
From: Francis Leboutte
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

http://algo.be/ref-projects.htm

and

http://www.pepite.be/en/produits/PEPITo/Screenshots

Francis

--
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be
From: jonathon
Francis Leboutte wrote:

> >Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
> >apps they can post screenshots of?

Those are excellent shots.

A couple of questions: how do you do the scientific plotting and
graphing in AllegroLisp?  Is it a good interface?  I assume CLIM
provides the basic calls, right?

Also, one of the products was for use on both Windows and Unix.  Is
this also because of CLIM?
From: Francis Leboutte
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Francis Leboutte wrote:
>
>> >Is anyone working on some real-world, heavy duty, serious application
>> >apps they can post screenshots of?
>
>Those are excellent shots.
>
>A couple of questions: how do you do the scientific plotting and
>graphing in AllegroLisp?  Is it a good interface?  I assume CLIM
>provides the basic calls, right?

Pepite Lisp products use Java for the GUI.

>Also, one of the products was for use on both Windows and Unix.  Is
>this also because of CLIM?

If you are speaking about OPA, it's because it was first developed on
a Symbolics Lisp machine using Dynamic Window for the GUI, quite close
to CLIM.

--
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be
From: jonathon
Francis Leboutte wrote:
> >A couple of questions: how do you do the scientific plotting and
> >graphing in AllegroLisp?  Is it a good interface?  I assume CLIM
> >provides the basic calls, right?
>
> Pepite Lisp products use Java for the GUI.

So that means using Java canvas?  How do you connect Lisp to Java in
that way?  Is it slow?

> If you are speaking about OPA, it's because it was first developed on
> a Symbolics Lisp machine using Dynamic Window for the GUI, quite close
> to CLIM.

What about Gipsy and Coraps?  What UI toolkit do they use?
From: Francis Leboutte
"jonathon" <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Francis Leboutte wrote:
>> >A couple of questions: how do you do the scientific plotting and
>> >graphing in AllegroLisp?  Is it a good interface?  I assume CLIM
>> >provides the basic calls, right?
>>
>> Pepite Lisp products use Java for the GUI.
>
>So that means using Java canvas?  How do you connect Lisp to Java in
>that way?  Is it slow?

Corba.
Notice there is Foil now (http://foil.sourceforge.net/)
You should ask Pepite for more details.

>> If you are speaking about OPA, it's because it was first developed on
>> a Symbolics Lisp machine using Dynamic Window for the GUI, quite close
>> to CLIM.
>
>What about Gipsy and Coraps?  What UI toolkit do they use?

Common Graphics (ACL)

--
Francis Leboutte
www.algo.be