From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: *standard-error*
I am accustomed to having three standard streams: input, output, and
error. In Lisp, the first two are *standard-input* and
*standard-output*. I would have guessed that the third would be
*standard-error*, but this seems not to exist. Does Lisp not have a
third standard stream? Maybe there is a completely different way to
report errors? (assuming that you want the program to continue running
despite the problem)

From: Arthur Lemmens
Subject: Re: *standard-error*
Eric Lavigne wrote:

> I am accustomed to having three standard streams: input, output, and
> error. In Lisp, the first two are *standard-input* and
> *standard-output*. I would have guessed that the third would be
> *standard-error*, but this seems not to exist.

Try *ERROR-OUTPUT* (and have a look at chapter 21 of the Hyperspec).

 --
Arthur Lemmens
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'Eric)
(you :wrote  :on '(25 Jun 2005 11:55:01 -0700))
(

 EL> I am accustomed to having three standard streams: input, output, and
 EL> error. In Lisp, the first two are *standard-input* and
 EL> *standard-output*. I would have guessed that the third would be
 EL> *standard-error*, but this seems not to exist. Does Lisp not have a
 EL> third standard stream?

instead of guessing, better check "The Streams Dictionary" section in CLHS.
or just open documentation for *standart-input* there..
your guess was a bit wrong -- for error there is output stream, but it's not
usual (standard) stream, but special error stream, so it's called
*error-output*.

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")