From: vch
Subject: Is there any graphics toolkits written in CL?
I am browsing through this list -
http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit - and haven't found anything
suitable yet, although I don't claim I've installed and tried all of
them (it tends to be time consuming, that's why I am asking here). I
have just two requirements:

1. It must not be a binding - I'd like to see a toolkit written in CL on
top of CLX.
2. It must not be an overly-complicated monstrosity that operates on the
highest levels of abstraction but with absolutely inadequate UI. What I
need is a set of quality widgets, with more or less modern look-and-feel
(like Windows or Apple) and reasonable peformance and resource utilization.

From: Fred Gilham
Subject: Re: Is there any graphics toolkits written in CL?
vch <····@not.real> wrote:
> 2. It must not be an overly-complicated monstrosity that operates on
>    the highest levels of abstraction but with absolutely inadequate
>    UI. What I need is a set of quality widgets, with more or less
>    modern look-and-feel (like Windows or Apple) and reasonable
>    peformance and resource utilization.

Garnet probably fits the bill.  It has two widget sets: one with an
older look and one with a "motif-like" look.  It uses CLX as the
underlying interface to X.  It's also portable.  The other day I
compiled it for Allegro Common Lisp, and I've also built it under
CLISP.  It also has a Mac interface but I don't know how well that
works in this day and age.

--
Fred Gilham                     ······@csl.sri.com
"I'm an expert at installing free software.  I've installed software
From: Robert Uhl
Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:

> Garnet probably fits the bill.  It has two widget sets: one with an
> older look and one with a "motif-like" look.

If Motif is the 'new' look, then the OP's request for a modern widget
set might not be fulfilled...

Some people are born blind, others are born crippled, and some are born
Americans.  One should not be held responsible for what is essentially an
accident of birth.                                        --Harald Horgen
From: GP lisper
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:35:43 -0600, <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
> Fred Gilham <······@snapdragon.csl.sri.com> writes:
>>
>> Garnet probably fits the bill.  It has two widget sets: one with an
>> older look and one with a "motif-like" look.
>
> If Motif is the 'new' look, then the OP's request for a modern widget
> set might not be fulfilled...

Name a "new" widget.

Motif looks to be as dead as Lisp.
http://www.motifzone.com and about 176,000 other google hits.

When people are very concerned about "looks", it usually means that
the stuff "inside" is crap.  Visicalc was ugly.

--
The LOOP construct is really neat, it's got a lot of knobs to turn!
Don't push the yellow one on the bottom.
From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

>>> Garnet probably fits the bill.  It has two widget sets: one with an
>>> older look and one with a "motif-like" look.
>>
>> If Motif is the 'new' look, then the OP's request for a modern widget
>> set might not be fulfilled...
>
> Name a "new" widget.

A text entry which allows arbitrary Unicode text, with Hebrew and
Arabic fragments properly written right-to-left, and with proper
forming of mandatory ligatures for indic scripts.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       ······@knm.org.pl
From: GP lisper
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:19:39 +0200, <······@knm.org.pl> wrote:
> GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:
>>
>> Name a "new" widget.
>
> A text entry which allows arbitrary Unicode text, with Hebrew and
> Arabic fragments properly written right-to-left, and with proper
> forming of mandatory ligatures for indic scripts.

Sounds sweet, which new widget kit has that?

From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

>>> Name a "new" widget.
>>
>> A text entry which allows arbitrary Unicode text, with Hebrew and
>> Arabic fragments properly written right-to-left, and with proper
>> forming of mandatory ligatures for indic scripts.
>
> Sounds sweet, which new widget kit has that?

Gtk+, and I'm not sure about Qt.

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       ······@knm.org.pl
From: Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

>>> Name a "new" widget.
>>
>> A text entry which allows arbitrary Unicode text, with Hebrew and
>> Arabic fragments properly written right-to-left, and with proper
>> forming of mandatory ligatures for indic scripts.
>
> Sounds sweet, which new widget kit has that?

At least Gtk+ and Qt.
http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/iuc27/html/img22.html

--
   __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
   \__/       ······@knm.org.pl
From: Matthias Buelow
Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk <······@knm.org.pl> writes:

>A text entry which allows arbitrary Unicode text, with Hebrew and
>Arabic fragments properly written right-to-left, and with proper
>forming of mandatory ligatures for indic scripts.

Or.. a combobox, or a list widget that can store both text and images,
or buttons that can have both text and images, or a tree widget, or a
toolbar widget, or a bubble help widget, or ... Of course, some of
these are available for Motif aswell (usually in commercial widget
sets for $$$$). And then there's the usability issue, no vector
Type1/postscript fonts, no mouse wheel, no accessibility support (for
disabled people).

mkb.
From: Wade Humeniuk
vch wrote:
> I am browsing through this list -
> http://www.cliki.net/Graphics%20Toolkit - and haven't found anything
> suitable yet, although I don't claim I've installed and tried all of
> them (it tends to be time consuming, that's why I am asking here). I
> have just two requirements:
>
> 1. It must not be a binding - I'd like to see a toolkit written in CL on
> top of CLX.
> 2. It must not be an overly-complicated monstrosity that operates on the
> highest levels of abstraction but with absolutely inadequate UI. What I
> need is a set of quality widgets, with more or less modern look-and-feel
> (like Windows or Apple) and reasonable peformance and resource utilization.

There is CLM (Common Lisp Motif).  If you have CMUCL it is in the extra tarball.

http://www.cliki.net/CLM

Wade