From: vch
Subject: Problem compiling CLX
I am trying to install CLX (which is called "telent CLX" on cliki,
whatever that means) for SBCL. I'd downloaded an ASDF package, unpackaed
it and created a symbolic link for the ASD file in the site-systems
directory.

When I tried to (require 'clx) it failed with the following error:

compilation aborted because of fatal error:
   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
     READER-ERROR at 118336 (line 3548, column 25) on #<FILE-STREAM for
"file \"/usr/local/lib/sbcl/clx_0.7.0/dependent.lisp\"" {48F426D1}>:
Symbol "UB1-BASH-COPY" not found in the SB-KERNEL package.

What's the problem here? If take the error message literally, it looks
like my SBCL is laking some feature. However, I am using the latest
version (or at least the latest from the point of view of FreeBSD port,
i.e. SBCL 0.8.17).

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Problem compiling CLX
vch <····@not.real> writes:

> What's the problem here? If take the error message literally, it looks
> like my SBCL is laking some feature. However, I am using the latest
> version (or at least the latest from the point of view of FreeBSD
> port, i.e. SBCL 0.8.17).

The FreeBSD port is about seven released versions out of date.

Christophe
From: vch
Christophe Rhodes wrote:
> The FreeBSD port is about seven released versions out of date.

But is this indeed the root of my problem?
From: Juho Snellman
<····@not.real> wrote:
> Christophe Rhodes wrote:
>> The FreeBSD port is about seven released versions out of date.
>
> But is this indeed the root of my problem?

Yes, as is stated in clx_0.7.0/NEWS:

: ---  Changes in SBCL CLX 0.7.0, Sun May 1 2005 ---
:
: The SBCL support now depends on version 0.9.0 or greater.

--
Juho Snellman
"Premature profiling is the root of all evil."
From: Christophe Rhodes
vch <····@not.real> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes wrote:
>> The FreeBSD port is about seven released versions out of date.
>
> But is this indeed the root of my problem?

The README file that you should have got with the clx that you
installed documents that it runs with sbcl versions going back to
0.9.0.

Christophe
From: vch
vch wrote:
> compilation aborted because of fatal error:
>   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
>     READER-ERROR at 118336 (line 3548, column 25) on #<FILE-STREAM for
> "file \"/usr/local/lib/sbcl/clx_0.7.0/dependent.lisp\"" {48F426D1}>:
> Symbol "UB1-BASH-COPY" not found in the SB-KERNEL package.

I've just replaced this "ub1-bash-copy" with "bit-bash-copy" after some
googling. Still have no idea what either of these functions does, but
looks like it have worked - at least, I can successfully run a demo program.

(Was it just a renaming? Why??)
From: Raymond Wiker
vch <····@not.real> writes:

> vch wrote:
>> compilation aborted because of fatal error:
>>   READ failure in COMPILE-FILE:
>>     READER-ERROR at 118336 (line 3548, column 25) on #<FILE-STREAM
>> for "file \"/usr/local/lib/sbcl/clx_0.7.0/dependent.lisp\""
>> {48F426D1}>:
>> Symbol "UB1-BASH-COPY" not found in the SB-KERNEL package.
>
> I've just replaced this "ub1-bash-copy" with "bit-bash-copy" after
> some googling. Still have no idea what either of these functions does,
> but looks like it have worked - at least, I can successfully run a
> demo program.

        You'd be *much* better off by upgrading your SBCL
installation. There's a pre-built version for FreeBSD at
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sbcl/sbcl-0.9.0-x86-freebsd-binary.tar.bz2?download;
alternatively, you could just build it yourself - it is absolutely
trivial to do.

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  ·············@fast.no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/