From: RC
Subject: Installation Summary for asdf/asdf-install (CMUCL and CLISP)
Please let me know of any problems with this procedure.
It seems to be working fine for these two systems.

             Installation of asdf and asdf-install for CMUCL and CLISP
                            (Personal Installation)

CMUCL should already be installed.
CLISP should already be installed (install from cvs recommended)

From the root directory of your Linux/BSD account:
(Assume your account's home directory is /home/lsp)

  start at your home directory.
  download asdf.lisp from http://weitz.de/files/asdf.lisp
  or from cclan cvs.

  download asdf-linstall.tar.gz from http://weitz.de/files/asdf-
install.tar.gz

  mkdir asdf
  mv asdf.lisp asdf/
  tar xvzf asdf-install.tar.gz

  create .cmucl-init with with the lines:

  #-asdf (load "/home/lsp/asdf/asdf")
  #+asdf (pushnew #P"/home/lsp/.asdf-install-dir/systems/" asdf:*central-
registry* :test #'equal)

  cd asdf-install
  lisp
  (compile-file "../asdf/asdf")   ; run this if compilation of asdf.lisp
is needed.
  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'asdf-install)
  (asdf-install:install "/home/lsp/asdf-install.tar.gz")
  choose option "1" for Personal Installation
  (quit)
  cd

  The asdf-install package should now be installed in ~/.asdf-install-
dir/sites/
  and a link to its .asd file should exists in ~/.asdf-install-
dir/systems/.

  From now on, to install any other asdf-install[able] package, all you
do is:

  lisp
  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'asdf-install)
  (asdf-install:install 'name-of-asdf-installable-package)

  To uninstall a package
  (asdf-install:uninstall 'name-of-package)

  Add this line to .cmucl-init if you wish to load asdf-install
  every time you start lisp.
  #+(and asdf (not asdf-install)) (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'asdf-
install)

  The asdf-install directory is no longer needed and may be removed.
  rm -fr asdf-install

  Note:
  This procedure may be used under CLISP as well.
  Simply copy .cmucl-init to .clisprc and when CLISP
  starts it will load asdf.  Any of the pacakages already
  installed by CMUCL may, in fact, work with CLISP.

  Example:
  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cl-ppcre)

  Of course, none of this is necessary with SBCL since
  it integrates asdf and its own version of asdf-install.

  ASDF-INSTALL, http://www.cliki.net/asdf-install

Thanks,
RC

From: M Jared Finder
RC wrote:
> Please let me know of any problems with this procedure.
> It seems to be working fine for these two systems.

<snip LOADing asdf.lisp and asdf-install.lisp>

While this works, I don't like it because of the lengthened boot time
(especially with CLISP).  I much prefer dumping a new memory image, and
creating a script in my local bin that specifies to use that memory image.

   -- MJF
From: RC
M Jared Finder <·····@hpalace.com> wrote in
···························@speakeasy.net:

> RC wrote:
>> Please let me know of any problems with this procedure.
>> It seems to be working fine for these two systems.
>
> <snip LOADing asdf.lisp and asdf-install.lisp>
>
> While this works, I don't like it because of the lengthened boot time
> (especially with CLISP).  I much prefer dumping a new memory image,
> and creating a script in my local bin that specifies to use that
> memory image.
>
>    -- MJF

Thanks. I'll add this to the procedure.

Saving a core image:
--------------------
  To improve load time create a core image with the
  needed features.

  For CMUCL
  ---------
  lisp
  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'some-package)
  (extensions:save-lisp "lisp.core")

  then load that with
  lisp -core lisp.core

  For CLISP
  ---------
  clisp
  (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'some-package)
  (ext:saveinitmem)
  (quit)

  then load with
  clisp -norc -M lispinit.mem