From: HB
Subject: slime with different lisps
Hei,

some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the net
that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp or
sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
google. Anyone any pointers?

Greetings HB

From: Luis Araujo
Subject: Re: slime with different lisps
"HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> Hei,
>
> some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the net
> that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp or
> sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
> google. Anyone any pointers?
>
> Greetings HB

I am not sure what you want.

But i am able to run slime with different
lisp implementations changing the path:
(setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl")
From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Luis Araujo wrote:
> "HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Hei,
>>
>>some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the net
>>that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp or
>>sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
>>google. Anyone any pointers?
>>
>>Greetings HB
>

> I am not sure what you want.
>
> But i am able to run slime with different
> lisp implementations changing the path:
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/sbcl")

I still have to smile that it's called inferior-lisp.

I mean, you run CL instead of Emacs lisp, so IMHO it should be
called superior-lisp-mode ;)

--
Don't let school interfere with your education. -- Mark Twain
From: Edi Weitz
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:43:53 +0200, Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:

> I still have to smile that it's called inferior-lisp.
>
> I mean, you run CL instead of Emacs lisp, so IMHO it should be
> called superior-lisp-mode ;)

Hey - now that's an idea!  Have you considered using this cool idea
for a nice acronym?  Like, hmm, "Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for
Emacs", i.e. SLIME?  Er, wait...

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: GP lisper
On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 15:15:39 +0200, <········@agharta.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:43:53 +0200, Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:
>
>> I still have to smile that it's called inferior-lisp.
>>
>> I mean, you run CL instead of Emacs lisp, so IMHO it should be
>> called superior-lisp-mode ;)
>
> Hey - now that's an idea!  Have you considered using this cool idea
> for a nice acronym?  Like, hmm, "Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for
> Emacs", i.e. SLIME?  Er, wait...

ROFLMAO!

--
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly fine.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

> ROFLMAO!

OMG that's like really annoying :-o
ha ha plz ddt here <g> ok? ;-)

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: GP lisper
On 11 Jun 2005 15:51:58 -0700, <···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:
>
>> ROFLMAO!
>
> OMG that's like really annoying :-o
> ha ha plz ddt here <g> ok? ;-)

Hmm, somehow the thought of writing out laughter seems to totally
destroy the message that I enjoyed Edi's humor.  Ah, I guess it's just
Political Correctness again, I should have recognized it's smothering
hand.
From: Thomas F. Burdick
GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

> On 11 Jun 2005 15:51:58 -0700, <···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> > GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:
> >
> >> ROFLMAO!
> >
> > OMG that's like really annoying :-o
> > ha ha plz ddt here <g> ok? ;-)
>
> Hmm, somehow the thought of writing out laughter seems to totally
> destroy the message that I enjoyed Edi's humor.  Ah, I guess it's just
> Political Correctness again, I should have recognized it's smothering
> hand.

That's quite a mental leap you made there, managing to find political
coreectness in what I said.  Care to share how you did it?

--
           /|_     .-----------------------.
         ,'  .\  / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Jamie Border
"Thomas F. Burdick" <···@conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote:
> GP lisper <········@CloudDancer.com> writes:

>> > OMG that's like really annoying :-o
>> > ha ha plz ddt here <g> ok? ;-)
>>
>> Hmm, somehow the thought of writing out laughter seems to totally
>> destroy the message that I enjoyed Edi's humor.  Ah, I guess it's just
>> Political Correctness again, I should have recognized it's smothering
>> hand.
>
> That's quite a mental leap you made there, managing to find political
> coreectness in what I said.  Care to share how you did it?

How many Political Correctness advocates does it take to change a light
bulb?

Three.  Two to hold down the guy with a sense of humor.  One to screw it in.

Jamie

From: Ulrich Hobelmann
Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:43:53 +0200, Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> wrote:
>

>>I still have to smile that it's called inferior-lisp.
>>
>>I mean, you run CL instead of Emacs lisp, so IMHO it should be
>>called superior-lisp-mode ;)
>

> Hey - now that's an idea!  Have you considered using this cool idea
> for a nice acronym?  Like, hmm, "Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for
> Emacs", i.e. SLIME?  Er, wait...

I thought that was called superior because it's better than
standard Emacs Lisp interaction mode, not because CL is better
than Elisp.  I'm just saying that Emacs has an arrogant view,
calling all languages running inside it "inferior." ;)

--
Don't let school interfere with your education. -- Mark Twain
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Ulrich Hobelmann <···········@web.de> writes:
> I'm just saying that Emacs has an arrogant view, calling all
> languages running inside it "inferior." ;)

I believe it's an historical artifact reflecting Emacs' origin as an
ITS program.  The relation between processes, which in Unix is called
child/parent, is called inferior/superior in ITS.  (Present tense, ITS
is still used by enthusiasts.)

http://www.sigfs.org/its-reference/its-reference-1.5.html
From: HB
Yeah, it was Bill Clementson's Blog. Thanks for all the answers.

Greetings HB
From: Andy Cristina
HB wrote:
> Hei,
>
> some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the net
> that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp or
> sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
> google. Anyone any pointers?
>
> Greetings HB

Everything I did below basically came from Bill Clementson's excellent
blog, particularly these two posts http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040306.html
and http://bc.tech.coop/blog/040315.html

Here is the setup I use with xemacs and windows.  Everything except the
vb script should work on a unix machine.

Usage is M-x (clisp|acl|acl-ide|lwp) and then M-x slime.
;;__________________________________________________________________________
;;;;    Programming - Common Lisp

(setq load-path (append (list "c:/slime-1.2/"
			      (concat home-dir "")
			      (concat home-dir "site/slime")
			      (concat home-dir "site"))
                         load-path))
(require 'slime)
(require 'font-lock)
;(global-font-lock-mode t)

;; Specify modes for Lisp file extensions
(setq auto-mode-alist
       (append '(("\.lisp$" . lisp-mode)
		("\.lsp$" . lisp-mode)
		("\.cl$" . lisp-mode)
		("\.asd$" . lisp-mode)
		("\.system$" . lisp-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

;; Hooks into lisp mode
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (slime-mode t)
	    (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control j)] 'newline)
	    (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control m)] 'newline-and-indent)
	    (set (make-local-variable lisp-indent-function)
		 'common-lisp-indent-function)))

(add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (inferior-slime-mode t)))
(slime-autodoc-mode)

(defun replace-slime-cmd ()
   "Replaces regular Slime command for ACL and LW Personal."
   (interactive)
   (defun slime ()
     "Start Slime without an inferior lisp."
     (interactive)
     (slime-connect "localhost" 4005)))

;; Franz Allegro Common Lisp
(defun acl ()
   (interactive)
   (shell-command (concat "c:/progra~1/acl70-student/alisp.exe"
			 " +B +cm -L " home-dir ".slime.lisp&"))
   (delete-other-windows)
   (replace-slime-cmd))

(defun acl-ide ()
   (interactive)
   (shell-command (concat "c:/progra~1/acl70-student/allegro.exe"
			 " +B +cm -L " home-dir ".slime.lisp&"))
   (delete-other-windows)
   (replace-slime-cmd))

;; GNU CLISP
(defun clisp ()
   (interactive)
   (setq inferior-lisp-program "C:/clisp-2.33.83/clisp.exe")
   (load "slime"))

;; Xanalys LispWorks Personal
(defun lwp ()
   (interactive)
   (shell-command (concat home-dir ".lw-slime.vbs&"))
   (delete-other-windows)
   (replace-slime-cmd))
From: Luigi Panzeri
C-u M-x slime let you choose between cl and have multiple repl, so you
can add to your .emacs

<untested>

(defun sbcl-start ()
  (interactive)
  (slime "/path/to/sbcl"))

(defun cmucl-start ()
  (interactive)
  (slime "/path/to/cmucl"))

</untested>

--
Luigi Panzeri aka Matley

Evaluate Lisp: http://lisp.tech.coop/Evaluate%20Lisp
From: Patrick May
"HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
> some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the
> net that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp
> or sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
> google. Anyone any pointers?

     Another alternative is "C-u M-x slime" which will prompt for the
Lisp implementation.

Regards,

Patrick
From: Peter Seibel
Patrick May <···@spe.com> writes:

> "HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>> some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the
>> net that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp
>> or sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
>> google. Anyone any pointers?
>
>      Another alternative is "C-u M-x slime" which will prompt for the
> Lisp implementation.

Also note that you can add lines like these to your .emacs (after
you've require'd slime):

  (slime-register-lisp-implementation "allegro" "/usr/local/acl70.1/alisp")
  (slime-register-lisp-implementation "openmcl" "/usr/local/ccl/scripts/openmcl")

Then when C-u M-x slime prompts you for the name of the Lisp to run
you can use a symbolic name ("allegro" or "openmcl") in this case. You
could also use this to define different commands to run the same Lisp
with different images, etc.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'HB)
(you :wrote  :on '(11 Jun 2005 02:18:34 -0700))
(

 H> some time ago, I've seen a customized .emacs file somewhere on the net
 H> that allows the user to run slime with different lisps (eg clisp or
 H> sbcl) but I can't remember where and I can't find it again using
 H> google. Anyone any pointers?

there is define-slime-dialect macro.
e.g. after

(define-slime-dialect abcl-0.5 "h:\\lisp\\abcl\\abcl-0.0.5\\abcl.bat")

emacs command slime-dialect-abcl-0.5 will run specified program..

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")