From: Eric Marsden
Subject: please help test the CMUCL 19b prerelease
CMUCL version 19b will be released in July. We would appreciate help
in testing the prerelease binaries that are available for various
platforms. Here's how you can help test:

   - download the pre-release binaries for your platform
   - read the release notes
   - try to compile and run your favorite applications (note that FASL
     files from this release are binary-incompatible with previous
     CMUCL releases; you will need to recompile all source files)
   - report any problems you encounter to the cmucl-help mailing list
     (see <URL:http://www.cons.org/cmucl/support.html> for details of our
     mailing lists)

This release will include a number of significant changes from CMUCL 19a,
that are detailed in the release notes:

   - a port to the MacOS X platform
   - a port to NetBSD on x86 systems
   - improved bignum performance
   - fixes to the simple-streams implementation, and implementation of
     bivalent streams
   - many ANSI compliance problems identified by Paul Dietz's test suite
     have been fixed
   - many bugfixes

Prerelease binaries for x86/Linux, x86/FreeBSD, SPARC/Solaris and
PowerPC/Darwin (MacOS X) can be downloaded from the following URLs
(x86/NetBSD should also be available shortly). Documentation for this
new release is also available in the same directory, in the file
"cmu-user.pdf".

  <URL:ftp://ftp.common-lisp.net/pub/project/cmucl/release/19b/pre-release/>
  <URL:http://www.pmsf.de/pub/cmucl/release/19b/pre-release/>

=== Things to test

Some aspects of CMUCL are platform-dependent, so would be particularly
useful to test:

   - try loading shared object files and ".o" object files using the
     function EXT:LOAD-FOREIGN, and check that you can resolve symbols
     in these libraries and call the corresponding functions. For
     example:

     ,----
     | CL-USER> (ext:load-foreign "/usr/lib/libcrypt.so")
     | ;;; Opening shared library /usr/lib/libcrypt.so ...
     | ;;; Done.
     | nil
     | CL-USER> (alien:alien-funcall
     |           (alien:extern-alien "crypt"
     |                               (function c-call:c-string c-call:c-string c-call:c-string))
     |           "key" "salt")
     | ; Compiling lambda (#:g1469 #:g1470 #:g1471):
     | ; Compiling Top-Level Form:
     | "sacA7YLUSAodg"
     `----

   - try dumping an customized CMUCL image (using the function
     EXT:SAVE-LISP) and restarting it.

If you have installed the "extra" tarball for your platform, you can
help test the CLX support, the Motif interface and the Hemlock editor.

   - try connecting to your X11 display:

     ,----
     | CL-USER> (require :clx)
     | ("CLX")
     | CL-USER> (ext:open-clx-display)
     | #<xlib:display :0 (The XFree86 Project, Inc R40300001)>
     | #<xlib:screen :0 1400x1050x24 true-color>
     `----

   - try using the Motif debugger and inspector:

     ,----
     | CL-USER> (require :clm)
     | ("CLM")
     | CL-USER> (inspect *package*)
     `----

   - try using the Hemlock editor:

     ,----
     | CL-USER> (require :hemlock)
     | CL-USER> (ed)
     `----

     You can exit Hemlock with the "C-x C-z" key sequence.

Thanks for your help!

--
Eric Marsden