From: Jim Spriggs
Subject: Lisp to learn from?
I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on Windows
XP.  Any recommendations?  I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common
Lisp".

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Lisp to learn from?
>I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on Windows
>XP.  Any recommendations?  I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common
>Lisp".

Get the clisp version of lispbox from this site. It installs in a few
minutes with no effort, and it gives you a fairly nice lisp
editing/running environment. You can type lisp commands into the REPL
buffer and see the result immediately. I recommend using the options
menu to turn on parenthesis highlighting.

http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

Note: this is just a quick and easy way to get started. Eventually you
should try a few different compilers and editors to see what you like.
From: Jim Spriggs
Eric Lavigne wrote:

> >I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on Windows
> >XP.  Any recommendations?  I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common
> >Lisp".
>
> Get the clisp version of lispbox from this site. ...
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

Many thanks for the quick response.
From: Edi Weitz
On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:16:04 +0000 (UTC), Jim Spriggs <··········@ANTISPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> wrote:

> I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on
> Windows XP.  Any recommendations?

For learning I'd recommend the Personal Edition of LispWorks:

  <http://www.lispworks.com/products/lispworks.html#personal>

> I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common Lisp".

Consider using this one instead:

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: Jim Spriggs
Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:16:04 +0000 (UTC), Jim Spriggs <··········@ANTISPAMbtinternet.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on
> > Windows XP.  Any recommendations?
>
> For learning I'd recommend the Personal Edition of LispWorks:
>
>   <http://www.lispworks.com/products/lispworks.html#personal>
>
> > I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common Lisp".
>
> Consider using this one instead:
>
>   <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

Thank you.  Both suggestions duly noted.
From: Kenny Tilton
Jim Spriggs wrote:
> I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on Windows
> XP.  Any recommendations?  I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common
> Lisp".

The other suggestions you got are fine, but AllegroCL Trial has the only
decent IDE (tho I have fond memories of the MCL IDE on the Mac). If you
are used to powerful IDEs, anything else will come as a disappointment.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be
obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the
resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page
From: Jim Spriggs
Kenny Tilton wrote:

> Jim Spriggs wrote:
> > I'm looking for a free implementation of Common Lisp to run on Windows
> > XP.  Any recommendations?  I'll be using Paul Graham's book "ANSI Common
> > Lisp".
>
> The other suggestions you got are fine, but AllegroCL Trial has the only
> decent IDE (tho I have fond memories of the MCL IDE on the Mac). If you
> are used to powerful IDEs, anything else will come as a disappointment.

Thanks.
From: Joel Ray Holveck
> The other suggestions you got are fine, but AllegroCL Trial has the
> only decent IDE (tho I have fond memories of the MCL IDE on the
> Mac).

Why do you feel that?  What does Allegro's IDE offer that Lispworks's
doesn't?

joelh
From: ·············@hotmail.com
Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> > The other suggestions you got are fine, but AllegroCL Trial has the
> > only decent IDE (tho I have fond memories of the MCL IDE on the
> > Mac).
>
> Why do you feel that?  What does Allegro's IDE offer that Lispworks's
> doesn't?
>
> joelh

GUI builder , also their lower-case-sensitive image is good.
I could never  accustom myself to ANSI upper-case-insensitive standard.
From: Edi Weitz
On 17 Jun 2005 03:38:58 -0700, ·············@hotmail.com wrote:

> Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
>
>> Why do you feel that?  What does Allegro's IDE offer that
>> Lispworks's doesn't?
>
> GUI builder

LispWorks also has a GUI builder.

  <http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/lw445/CLWUG-W/html/clwuser-w-302.htm>

Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: ···············@lycos.com
Probably he thinks of something like VS.net
C# & VB type  drag and drop builder .
For me LW and CAPI is my favourite combination .
I'm not fond of all those simpletons.