From: Heow
Subject: Summer of Code - Apply Now!
This summer, Google is offering to sponsor 200 Open Source projects for
$5000.00 each.  Essentially, Mentoring Organizations offer up ideas and
students implement them, the two get together and off they go.
Assuming that the project goes well,the student picks up $4500.00, the
mentor $500 and a summers worth of headway has been made on another
great project.  (  see http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html )

Now that we have collected numerous project proposals as well as
mentors, we'd like to invite you to apply as a summer student and work
on some of these interesting and challenging projects.

Please browse the projects and apply through the LispNYC website:

    http://www.lispnyc.org/summerofcode.html

Thank you,

- Heow Eide-Goodman
  LispNYC.org

From: Brian Harvey
Subject: Re: Summer of Code - Apply Now!
"Heow" <················@alphageeksinc.com> writes:
>Please browse the projects and apply through the LispNYC website:
>
>    http://www.lispnyc.org/summerofcode.html

At a quick glance, it seems to me that most of these projects are about
writing C (C++, Java, whatever) code to extend a Lisp implementation or
embed it in something else.  I was kinda expecting projects to write
applications in Lisp!
From: Marco Antoniotti
Brian Harvey wrote:
> "Heow" <················@alphageeksinc.com> writes:
>
>>Please browse the projects and apply through the LispNYC website:
>>
>>   http://www.lispnyc.org/summerofcode.html
>

> At a quick glance, it seems to me that most of these projects are about
> writing C (C++, Java, whatever) code to extend a Lisp implementation or
> embed it in something else.  I was kinda expecting projects to write
> applications in Lisp!

Well, as far as my proposal is going, it is not my fault that
FireFox/Mozilla have C/C++ cores and that we are suffering through XML :)

Cheers
--
Marco
From: Christophe Rhodes
[ note f'ups ]

··@abbenay.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Brian Harvey) writes:

> "Heow" <················@alphageeksinc.com> writes:
>>Please browse the projects and apply through the LispNYC website:
>>
>>    http://www.lispnyc.org/summerofcode.html
>
> At a quick glance, it seems to me that most of these projects are about
> writing C (C++, Java, whatever) code to extend a Lisp implementation or
> embed it in something else.  I was kinda expecting projects to write
> applications in Lisp!

None of the projects I have suggested and am willing to mentor for
need involve any programming in any language other than Lisp, for what
that's worth.  The projects admittedly do not revolve around writing
an application, but around components of applications or libraries
which may be of intellectual as well as practical interest.  I'm sorry
if you don't find them to your taste.

Christophe
From: Kenny Tilton
Brian Harvey wrote:
> "Heow" <················@alphageeksinc.com> writes:
>
>>Please browse the projects and apply through the LispNYC website:
>>
>>   http://www.lispnyc.org/summerofcode.html
>

> At a quick glance, it seems to me that most of these projects are about
> writing C (C++, Java, whatever) code to extend a Lisp implementation or
> embed it in something else.  I was kinda expecting projects to write
> applications in Lisp!

I think because LispNYC is a formally headless beast and this all
happened in a hurry and as the one approved Lisp mentor other Lisp
projects were invited to piggyback us... well, the bias was to let
projects onto the list and live/die on their merits.

I just hope no one took some obscure task they were doing already as
open source and decided to see if they could get paid for it by
submitting it as a project. Google is trying to spur new open source.

ie, yeah, I see some dubious projects in there.

Mind you, there /is/ filtering going on and some projects got rejected
(the site might still show those and the reasons for rejection--there
was a page for that), but I am not privvy to that process so more I
cannot say.

Hopefully the inclusive thing will avoid a huge political thing (thank
god we had days to organize instead of months) and let us all
concentrate on getting some good Lisp open source done.

--
Kenny

"If you plan to enter text which our system might consider to be
obscene, check here to certify that you are old enough to hear the
resulting output." -- Bell Labs text-to-speech interactive Web page