From: ·····@walla.com
Subject: Lisp in Visual Basic? Or at least some tiny lisp implementation to repeat?
Due to the need to do stuff in Visual Basic I got the following
question: maybe there is some (probably extremely incomplete and
limited, but that's OK) implementation of lisp (scheme? some dialect?)
in Visual Basic?
If not, are there some resources to help starting such an
implementation? Some online book, a tiny implementation to translate to
VB?...

From: Marco Antoniotti
Your question is "how to apply Greenspun's Tenth to VB".

A better question is "which Common Lisp allows me to write COM?"  The
answer is: the commercial implementations do.  Check out www.alu.org.

Cheers
--
Marco

From: Andreas Thiele

VB has lists/hash tables - they call it collection
VB has an abstract data type - they call it variant and suggest not use it
(too flexible :)) )

... couldn't resist

Andreas
From: Andreas Thiele
> VB has lists/hash tables - they call it collection
> VB has an abstract data type - they call it variant and suggest not use it
> (too flexible :)) )
>
> ... couldn't resist

I forgot, you can partly modify the running applications code from within
the debugger.

Andreas
From: Fernando Rodriguez
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:44:44 +0200, "Andreas Thiele"
<······@nospam.com> wrote:

>> VB has lists/hash tables - they call it collection
>> VB has an abstract data type - they call it variant and suggest not use it
>> (too flexible :)) )
>>
>> ... couldn't resist
>
>I forgot, you can partly modify the running applications code from within
>the debugger.

And you have a limited top-level.
From: Andreas Thiele
<·····@walla.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····························@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Due to the need to do stuff in Visual Basic I got the following
> question: maybe there is some (probably extremely incomplete and
> limited, but that's OK) implementation of lisp (scheme? some dialect?)
> in Visual Basic?
> If not, are there some resources to help starting such an
> implementation? Some online book, a tiny implementation to translate to
> VB?...

You can easily write a lisp TCP/IP REPL server. This will be a just few
lines of code. Then write some calling VB-code.

This way you could make use of a nice lisp implemetations like CLISP. You
could use any lisp even on a different machine with different OS.

Andreas

P.S. I once did it the other way 'round to have access to MS ADO facility.
From: Fernando Rodriguez
On 6 Jun 2005 04:18:48 -0700, ·····@walla.com wrote:

>Due to the need to do stuff in Visual Basic I got the following
>question: maybe there is some (probably extremely incomplete and
>limited, but that's OK) implementation of lisp (scheme? some dialect?)
>in Visual Basic?
>If not, are there some resources to help starting such an
>implementation? Some online book, a tiny implementation to translate to
>VB?...

Did you try to access Corman Lisp as a COM object? That might be the
easiest solution for your problem.
From: ·····@walla.com
Thanks for the ideas, although in this case they probably would be an
overkill. The main "problem" that I was hoping to solve was that it's
more fun playing with a homegrown lisp than writing VB code :) And as a
side effect - to get a sort of a scripting facility, so that I'll be
able to define a couple of "primitives" to access other parts of Basic
code, ADO recordsets etc, but write the code to manipulate them in
something "lispish" :) Bringing a full-blown lisp, either as a COM
object, or over a TCP/IP link seems too much.
Also, I've read so much about the ease of writing a simple lisp
interpreter, that I'd like to see one. Even if it's not in VB, but is
sufficiently primitive to be easily ported to VB
From: Debian User
On 6 Jun 2005 08:32:40 -0700, ·····@walla.com <·····@walla.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas, although in this case they probably would be an
> overkill. The main "problem" that I was hoping to solve was that it's
> more fun playing with a homegrown lisp than writing VB code :) And as a
> side effect - to get a sort of a scripting facility, so that I'll be
> able to define a couple of "primitives" to access other parts of Basic
> code, ADO recordsets etc, but write the code to manipulate them in
> something "lispish" :) Bringing a full-blown lisp, either as a COM
> object, or over a TCP/IP link seems too much.
> Also, I've read so much about the ease of writing a simple lisp
> interpreter, that I'd like to see one. Even if it's not in VB, but is
> sufficiently primitive to be easily ported to VB

Some time ago there was the following post:

Subject: Re: Lisp interpreter written in BASIC
Date: 2 May 2005 06:19:50 -0700

Maybe this is helpful, but if you have VS.NET, there is a sample C#
(easily changed to VB.NET) project at something like C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Tool Developers
Guide\Samples\clisp that contains a Lisp implementation.  It might be
a good start for a VBA Lisp.

Chris
From: Andreas Thiele
<·····@walla.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
·····························@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for the ideas, although in this case they probably would be an
> overkill. The main "problem" that I was hoping to solve was that it's
> more fun playing with a homegrown lisp than writing VB code :) And as a
> side effect - to get a sort of a scripting facility, so that I'll be
> able to define a couple of "primitives" to access other parts of Basic
> code, ADO recordsets etc, but write the code to manipulate them in
> something "lispish" :) Bringing a full-blown lisp, either as a COM
> object, or over a TCP/IP link seems too much.
> Also, I've read so much about the ease of writing a simple lisp
> interpreter, that I'd like to see one. Even if it's not in VB, but is
> sufficiently primitive to be easily ported to VB

If you insist on writing your own Lisp, you might want to take a lock at
Picolisp, a tiny Lisp with source written mostly in C I think, by the folks
at

http://software-lab.de

or go directly to their download page

http://software-lab.de/down.html

Andreas
From: David
·····@walla.com wrote:
> Due to the need to do stuff in Visual Basic I got the following
> question: maybe there is some (probably extremely incomplete and
> limited, but that's OK) implementation of lisp (scheme? some dialect?)
> in Visual Basic?
> If not, are there some resources to help starting such an
> implementation? Some online book, a tiny implementation to translate to
> VB?...

I've got a small, purely interpreted, dynamically scoped lisp written in
VBA which I used for a project involving MS Word a while ago. I can try
and dig it out for you when I get home if you like.

Needless to say it was rather slow (understatement) but it worked pretty
well for what I was using it for and was fast enough that _it_ wasn't
the bottleneck speedwise. I kept toying with idea of writing a VM in VB
and implementing a compiler but I never got around to it. The lisp
interpreter was _very_ quick to write. It wasn't very good though :)

I based the dialect on emacs lisp as it was what I had to hand at the time.

-- David
From: ·····@walla.com
From: ·····@walla.com
From: Dan
·····@walla.com wrote:
> Oh, please, don't vanish like that!.. Not after offering such a
> wonderful thing... Pretty please? :)

Lisp implemented in Basic?  See the bottom of
http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~beer/

I don't know that it will be much use to you...
From: ·····@walla.com
Dan wrote:

> Lisp implemented in Basic?  See the bottom of
> http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~beer/
>
> I don't know that it will be much use to you...
Well, thank you very much anyway, it definitely has great hack value.
Unfortunately, being Basic, and a 'compressed' source, it's not as
readable
as I hoped. Still, maybe it'll be possible to get inspiration from :)
From: David
·····@walla.com wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> >
> > Lisp implemented in Basic?  See the bottom of
> > http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~beer/
> >
> > I don't know that it will be much use to you...
> Well, thank you very much anyway, it definitely has great hack value.
> Unfortunately, being Basic, and a 'compressed' source, it's not as
> readable
> as I hoped. Still, maybe it'll be possible to get inspiration from :)

I tried emailing you the source for my VB implementation
·····@walla.com. Did you not get my email? I sent it a few days (or
weeks) ago.

-- David
From: ·····@walla.com
I'm sorry that didn't work - I hope it would not be too much to trouble
you to send it again to a different address:
······@" concatenated with
"two-bytes." and with
"com"

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to mail you directly, because
your email shows up as "hhd...", with the dots instead of the real
address :(

Thank you!
From: Edi Weitz
On 9 Jul 2005 03:41:43 -0700, ······@walla.com" <·····@walla.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to mail you directly, because
> your email shows up as "hhd...", with the dots instead of the real
> address :(

Consider dumping Google Groups and getting a real newsreader.  (But
even with Google Groups there's a "Reply to Author" option, I think.)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

From: ·····@walla.com
Edi Weitz wrote:
> Consider dumping Google Groups and getting a real newsreader.  (But
> even with Google Groups there's a "Reply to Author" option, I think.)

Unfortunately my ISP's newsfeed is so bad that this thread for example
seems to contain only 3 messages :(

Thank you for the other idea, though.