From: Kelsin
Subject: Practical Common Lisp
When is the next printing of "Practical Common Lisp" coming out :) It's
such a great book and I want to order it, just don't want to order it
until the 2nd printing!

Thanks,
Chris

From: Charles Hoffman
Subject: Re: Practical Common Lisp
Kelsin wrote:
> When is the next printing of "Practical Common Lisp" coming out :) It's
> such a great book and I want to order it, just don't want to order it
> until the 2nd printing!
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
2nd printing is already out, pretty recently.  There's a thread about it
in this group somewhere.  Go for it.

--ch--
From: Peter Seibel
Charles Hoffman <··············@mchsi.com> writes:

> Kelsin wrote:
>> When is the next printing of "Practical Common Lisp" coming out :)
>> It's such a great book and I want to order it, just don't want to
>> order it until the 2nd printing!
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
> 2nd printing is already out, pretty recently.  There's a thread about
> it in this group somewhere.  Go for it.

Actually, I don't think that is quite right. It's being printed now
and should hit the stores around July 20th. That said, it's really not
going to be all that different than the 1st printing--maybe a dozen
small typos were fixed.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Charles Hoffman
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Charles Hoffman <··············@mchsi.com> writes:
>

>>Kelsin wrote:
>>
>>>When is the next printing of "Practical Common Lisp" coming out :)
>>>It's such a great book and I want to order it, just don't want to
>>>order it until the 2nd printing!
>>>Thanks,
>>>Chris
>>
>>2nd printing is already out, pretty recently.  There's a thread about
>>it in this group somewhere.  Go for it.
>

> Actually, I don't think that is quite right. It's being printed now
> and should hit the stores around July 20th. That said, it's really not
> going to be all that different than the 1st printing--maybe a dozen
> small typos were fixed.
>
> -Peter

Okay, right... "going into" second printing, my bad.  Anyway it's coming
soon, ad the web version is already up.
--ch--
From: ········@gmail.com
Just curious what was the projected sales verses actual sales, If you
can say or have the numbers

marc
From: Peter Seibel
·········@gmail.com" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Just curious what was the projected sales verses actual sales, If you
> can say or have the numbers

Well, book sales are a funny thing. Because there's sales from the
publisher to the book sellers (or to distributors but distributors
play less of a role these days with the big sellers (B&N, Amazon,
etc.) acting as their own distributors). Then there's actual sales to
readers, one copy at a time which are hard to track. Bookscan is a
service run by the Nielsen folks (the ones who do TV ratings) that
gets some hooks into the "point of sale" numbers from a supposedly
statistically interesting sample of book sellers. Anyway, the first
print run was 5,000 and obviously Apress has sold enough that they
think they'll run out before demand drops off. Thus the 2nd
printing. But the actual number of copies sold to end readers is quite
a bit lower than that, measured more in the hundreds than the
thousands. Which I guess means there are a fair number of copies
sitting on shelves in book stores or in warehouses somewhere. But as I
say, Apress seems to think the demand is pretty strong. At any rate,
Practical Common Lisp is the best-selling Lisp book of 2005 despite
having been out for half of the year so far.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: David Steuber
Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> Actually, I don't think that is quite right. It's being printed now
> and should hit the stores around July 20th. That said, it's really not
> going to be all that different than the 1st printing--maybe a dozen
> small typos were fixed.

Won't the first printing still have a higher value to rare book
collectors?

--
(when (or hope despair)
  (error "Deal with life as it is."))
From: Peter Seibel
David Steuber <·····@david-steuber.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel <·····@gigamonkeys.com> writes:
>
>> Actually, I don't think that is quite right. It's being printed now
>> and should hit the stores around July 20th. That said, it's really not
>> going to be all that different than the 1st printing--maybe a dozen
>> small typos were fixed.
>
> Won't the first printing still have a higher value to rare book
> collectors?

I don't know. Technically a copy from the 2nd printing will be rarer
since the print run is smaller. But maybe the 1st printing still has
more cachet?

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: ··················@hotmail.com
Interesthing , when i bought my book from the library
it was the only copy of it. Few days ago i rechecked
the shelf and there was 3 copies .
Booksellers obviosly has some weird logic.