From: HB
Subject: problem playing slime.mov with mplayer
i tried to play marco baringer's "slime.mov" with mplayer (self
compiled 1.0-pre7 using w32codecs) under linux (debian sarge). both
mplayer and vlc played sound but displayed only a black video window.
seems that the w32codec qtmpeg4 crashes under linux and the fallback
ffmpeg doesn't work. anyone any ideas?

greetings HB

p.s.
perhaps this is something for an mplayer or video on linxu mailing list
but i hope some fellow lisper ran into the problem before and solved it
;-)

From: HB
Subject: Re: problem playing slime.mov with mplayer
From: Artem Baguinski
HB wrote:
> i tried to play marco baringer's "slime.mov" with mplayer (self
> compiled 1.0-pre7 using w32codecs) under linux (debian sarge). both
> mplayer and vlc played sound but displayed only a black video window.
>  seems that the w32codec qtmpeg4 crashes under linux and the fallback
>  ffmpeg doesn't work. anyone any ideas?

i have this problem on a laptop, but not on my desktop machine, which i
always regarded as having an identical installation of {FC4 + all the
nice extra repos}. i have no win32codexcs, mplayer is using ffmpeg
plaugin, ffodivx codec. i'm watching the movie at the moment and finding
it enlightening.

(ok, i paused to read usenet, but i still find the movie enlightening ;-))

From: Bulent Murtezaoglu
[...]
    HB> p.s.  perhaps this is something for an mplayer or video on
    HB> linxu mailing list but i hope some fellow lisper ran into the
    HB> problem before and solved it ;-)

Xine from debian/testing plays it fine here.

cheers,

BM
From: William Bland
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 04:18:44 -0700, HB wrote:

> i tried to play marco baringer's "slime.mov" with mplayer (self
> compiled 1.0-pre7 using w32codecs) under linux (debian sarge).

Mplayer 1.0pre6-3.3.5-20050130 is working perfectly for me on my Gentoo
laptop.  Fantastic movie by the way!

Cheers,
	Bill.
From: Michael J. Forster
For comparison, I was able to play it under QuickTime 6.5.2 on a w2k
machine.  However, there are a few points where either the audio or
video froze for several seconds while the other proceeded.  Most
instances were associated with Marco switching between windows.  Every
one occurred at the same point during repeated playbacks.

This, however, in no way diminishes the value of the video, nor my
appreciation for Marco and Rainer each sharing their time and
experience.  While I never would have given it a second thought in
regard to writing Perl or C code, appreciating the interactive nature
of Lisp almost demands A/V presentation.

Thanks!

Mike

--
Michael J. Forster <····@sharedlogic.ca>
Shared Logic Inc.
From: Artem Baguinski
Michael J. Forster wrote:
> For comparison, I was able to play it under QuickTime 6.5.2 on a w2k
> machine.  However, there are a few points where either the audio or
> video froze for several seconds while the other proceeded.  Most
> instances were associated with Marco switching between windows.  Every
> one occurred at the same point during repeated playbacks.

doesn't happen on mplayer under linux

i had a feeling the video lagged half a second or so (marco would say
something like "- Do we have that package? - Yes we do" and only then
the result of (find-page :foo) would show up.

But of course the real hacker develops some sort of intuition about
things like that - he doesn't need to print the variable, he knows
what's in there, and he only does it for us noobs ;-)

> This, however, in no way diminishes the value of the video, nor my
> appreciation for Marco and Rainer each sharing their time and
> experience.  While I never would have given it a second thought in
> regard to writing Perl or C code, appreciating the interactive nature
> of Lisp almost demands A/V presentation.

shouldn't "interactive nature" demand interactive presentaion? ;-) not
to diminish the value of the absolutelly brilliant movies from Marco,
but just... i especially liked the sirens on the background. as a proof
that Marco is in the real world ;-)
From: Marco Baringer
Artem Baguinski <····@v2.nl> writes:

> i had a feeling the video lagged half a second or so (marco would say
> something like "- Do we have that package? - Yes we do" and only then
> the result of (find-page :foo) would show up.

for reasons beyond my comprehension the audio does in fact run
slightly faster than the video. this is almost innoticable in the ucw
movie (20mins) but becomes rather obvious in the hour long slime movie.

next time i'll probably make the movies in 10/15 min blocks and then
edit them together (this will also let me cover up some of my more
blatente mistakes :)

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
From: Jon Boone
"Marco Baringer" <··@bese.it> writes:

> for reasons beyond my comprehension the audio does in fact run
> slightly faster than the video. this is almost innoticable in the
> ucw movie (20mins) but becomes rather obvious in the hour long slime
> movie.

  It just made you look more "intuitively correct" about the results.
  :-)

  What software did you use to do the recording?

> next time i'll probably make the movies in 10/15 min blocks and then
> edit them together (this will also let me cover up some of my more
> blatente mistakes :)

    By the way, are these demos scripted out ahead of time?  As in
  many things, the outcome can be substantially better if time is
  taken in advance to plan them out.

    This should be less of a burden if you're only planning on doing
  15-20 minute chunks.

--jon
From: Marco Baringer
Jon Boone <········@delamancha.org> writes:

>   What software did you use to do the recording?

snapzprox:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

>> next time i'll probably make the movies in 10/15 min blocks and then
>> edit them together (this will also let me cover up some of my more
>> blatente mistakes :)
>
>     By the way, are these demos scripted out ahead of time?  As in
>   many things, the outcome can be substantially better if time is
>   taken in advance to plan them out.

the ucw one was. i actually did parts of it a few times until i could
get them all right. the slime video had a "lesson" sheet with the
first 20 minutes laid out in great detail, then i started talknig and,
well, you can see for yourself what happened.

From: GP lisper
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:46:27 +0200, <··@bese.it> wrote:
> Jon Boone <········@delamancha.org> writes:
>>
>>     By the way, are these demos scripted out ahead of time?  As in
>>   many things, the outcome can be substantially better if time is
>>   taken in advance to plan them out.
>
> the ucw one was. i actually did parts of it a few times until i could
> get them all right. the slime video had a "lesson" sheet with the
> first 20 minutes laid out in great detail, then i started talknig and,
> well, you can see for yourself what happened.

Ah, but it was rather valuable to see the 'real-thing'.  People are
not perfect.  Learning from others, including mistakes, does save
time.

--
It's all over now, Baby Blue.
From: Emre Sevinc
"HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> i tried to play marco baringer's "slime.mov" with mplayer (self
> compiled 1.0-pre7 using w32codecs) under linux (debian sarge). both
> mplayer and vlc played sound but displayed only a black video window.
> seems that the w32codec qtmpeg4 crashes under linux and the fallback
> ffmpeg doesn't work. anyone any ideas?

First try:

  LANG=en

then try running the mplayer. Sometimes, this works (for some '.avi's and
'.mov's) . Actually mplayer developers told that they fixed that
bug (yes, it was a bug).

A question: You had problems with slime.mov, did you have the
same problem with hello-world.mov which is also produced by Marco?

> p.s.
> perhaps this is something for an mplayer or video on linxu mailing list
> but i hope some fellow lisper ran into the problem before and solved it
> ;-)

You are welcome.

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr
From: Tim X
"HB" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> i tried to play marco baringer's "slime.mov" with mplayer (self
> compiled 1.0-pre7 using w32codecs) under linux (debian sarge). both
> mplayer and vlc played sound but displayed only a black video window.
> seems that the w32codec qtmpeg4 crashes under linux and the fallback
> ffmpeg doesn't work. anyone any ideas?

I played the ucw movie under Debian Testing using vlc with no
problem.

Tim

--
Tim Cross